What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle Turner

Rabbits20

Immortal
It's a bit concerning how Turner had another concussion last night.

I reckon he has to where headgear permanently now.

Wouldn't at all want to see him have to retire very early on in his career. He's way too good a talent for that.

Imo that tackle from Gallen that caused the concussion was unacceptable. No need for it.

It looked like a crusher to me. Unnecessary pressure to the upper chest, neck, head. It looked like Gallen was trying to crush Kyle's arm in that tackle as well.

Thoughts guys?

rabbitohs95

Bench

Wouldn't at all want to see him have to retire very early on in his career. He's way too good a talent for that.

Imo that tackle from Gallen that caused the concussion was unacceptable. No need for it.

It looked like a crusher to me. Unnecessary pressure to the upper chest, neck, head. It looked like Gallen was trying to crush Kyle's arm in that tackle as well.

Thoughts guys?

Yeah starting to get concerned especially considering he got about half a dozen in his first year of NRL. Don't think he got any previously like in the 20's but you never know.

southsport

First Grade

Thoughts guys?

Gallen gets away with way too much.

alien

Referee
i wonder if he'll be able to play in the world club championship game. . .

Rabbits20

Immortal
i wonder if he'll be able to play in the world club championship game. . .

That's what I'm thinking.

It's a long flight after Turner has had another concussion.

I'm sure Souths will be seeking medical advice.

Mr Chook

Juniors
Gallens tackle was fine IMO. Turner's running style got him into trouble...he tends to crouch a bit. Gallen isn't a tall man, Turner is what, 6,4"? To run face first into Gallen's shoulder there suggests he needs to work on how he runs into the defence.

His run of concussions is evidence he is doing something wrong.

It's not just his head knocks though, every game Turner is down injured with something, he's becoming the next Steve Matai of the NRL.

rabbitohs95

Bench
Gallens tackle was fine IMO. Turner's running style got him into trouble...he tends to crouch a bit. Gallen isn't a tall man, Turner is what, 6,4"? To run face first into Gallen's shoulder there suggests he needs to work on how he runs into the defence.

His run of concussions is evidence he is doing something wrong.

It's not just his head knocks though, every game Turner is down injured with something, he's becoming the next Steve Matai of the NRL.

Yeah his running is the problem :roll:

His only signs of injury have been concussion. He just seems to be prone to them, nothing like matai...

alien

Referee
some sportsmen who get concussed alot actually have swelling of the brain, which means a knock that isn't that hard can knock them out, when it normally wouldn't. sometimes the only way to fix this is to stop playing until the swelling of the brain goes down, which can take months. it's not something you want to mess around with. . .

rabbitohs95

Bench
Really hoping he doesn't get any more concussions through the season. Such a promising talent who could play rep footy if he continues to improve and i don't want him having to quit the game because of that.

doyen

Bench
some sportsmen who get concussed alot actually have swelling of the brain, which means a knock that isn't that hard can knock them out, when it normally wouldn't. sometimes the only way to fix this is to stop playing until the swelling of the brain goes down, which can take months. it's not something you want to mess around with. . .

With his many concussions Turner is almost at the crossroads with his future.

As Mr Chook said,he has a problem with the way he plays---his tackling gets him into trouble---maybe even his running.He doesn't appear to be an absolute kamikase type!!!!So why all of these head injuries??

He is midway through a Teaching degree which potentially would give him the earning capacity of 2 to 3 million $$$ over the next 40 yrs.This would be backed up by a substantial super package on retirement---probably 0.5 million.

As I said;he's at the crossroad already,IMO!!

One more serious concussion from now on should be his last---it could even disastrously be his last!!!

Does he risk his long term future in education for a few yrs of RL??!

Rabbits20

Immortal
With his many concussions Turner is almost at the crossroads with his future.

As Mr Chook said,he has a problem with the way he plays---his tackling gets him into trouble---maybe even his running.He doesn't appear to be an absolute kamikase type!!!!So why all of these head injuries??

He is midway through a Teaching degree which potentially would give him the earning capacity of 2 to 3 million $$$ over the next 40 yrs.This would be backed up by a substantial super package on retirement---probably 0.5 million.

As I said;he's at the crossroad already,IMO!!

One more serious concussion from now on should be his last---it could even disastrously be his last!!!

Does he risk his long term future in education for a few yrs of RL??!

Yeah it's concerning for sure. I just think Kyle has been unlucky.

Mr Chook said his running is a problem but he didn't mention tackling Doyen. Turner was one of our best in defence last year and I don't see his defence as the issue to the concussions.

Also Kyle is only 22 playing against men is a lot different to juniors and under 20s.

There are lots of grubby players in our game. The tackle from Gallen the other night was unnecessary and if you watched the game Thurston was letting Gallen know that there was no need for that tackle.

I reckon it was a crusher. The tackle we constantly got done for by the MRC.

It was unnecessary pressure to the neck from Gallen and Turner's head jolted as a result.

Anyway the most important thing by far is the health of Kyle. Hope he's ok.

Wearing headgear like he did at back end of last year could help prevent concussion. Every game he plays from now he should probably wear it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
You have no idea what a crusher tackle is.

I have seen plenty of them.

I watch games in every round of NRL mate. Melbourne started this kind of tackle.

Needs to be consistency from MRC.

Because of Gallen's tackle Turner is still in Gold Coast University Hospital with a neck injury. It's expected he will be ok.

I'm allowed my opinion anyway and Gallen is a grub. MRC have just let him off too AGAIN as they always do!

Because of that Gallen tackle Kyle is now unable to go to WCC.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Google search "definition of crusher tackle" into Google and you will see that what I say is correct.

Will only take you a minute mate.

MaxPower

Juniors
Google search "definition of crusher tackle" into Google and you will see that what I say is correct.

Will only take you a minute mate.

974409-56a045a0-5f10-11e4-a006-9b9b89c8d065.jpg

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Really feel for the guy, tremendous young player. It was horrible seeing Liam Fulton retire last year due to this but at least he had enjoyed a 10 year career.

I was shocked to see he was concussed 6 times last year. He only started playing round 3 so that's a concussion on average every 4.5 weeks!! How he was allowed to continue playing beyond me, that's surely an OH&S issue and a potential legal suit right there. The tigers sent Fulton to Melbourne for scans after 3 in a season, what did souths do for turner? How many weeks did he sit out after being concussed the week previously?

Btw there was nothing wrong with the gallen tackle. He was wrapping his arm and turners head collected his face. Purely accidental and turner ducked into it, hence the no action by the review comity. Gallen went on with it a bit on the ground but that happens in nearly every tackle you see these days. It is certainly not a crusher either R20, even if you think the tackle is illegal it's nothing like a crusher.

BranVan3000

Coach
Really feel for the guy, tremendous young player. It was horrible seeing Liam Fulton retire last year due to this but at least he had enjoyed a 10 year career.

I was shocked to see he was concussed 6 times last year. He only started playing round 3 so that's a concussion on average every 4.5 weeks!! How he was allowed to continue playing beyond me, that's surely an OH&S issue and a potential legal suit right there. The tigers sent Fulton to Melbourne for scans after 3 in a season, what did souths do for turner? How many weeks did he sit out after being concussed the week previously?

Btw there was nothing wrong with the gallen tackle. He was wrapping his arm and turners head collected his face. Purely accidental and turner ducked into it, hence the no action by the review comity. Gallen went on with it a bit on the ground but that happens in nearly every tackle you see these days. It is certainly not a crusher either R20, even if you think the tackle is illegal it's nothing like a crusher.
This wasn't really a concussion, it was a neck injury caused by the high tackle