What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lafai

mickeylane

Bench
Lol, you must also be wetting your pants with the signing of Mann.

Straight Shooter

No I think Mann is a bullshit signing! But ask urself this.. Why would Mcgregor be chasing every available centre if he was happy w his current pair - especially centers that will demand 1st grade positions like Hiku, Lafai, Roberts..

The writing is on the wall for the kid.. He did well for his first year but is in no way the strike centre the club needs hence the decision by the club to go out and recruit one centre and move Dugan to the other centre position therefore replacing last years ineffective duo..

And to remind also that the coach was one of the greatest centres of his era - so he knows exactly what a first class centre should b delivering to a NRL team chasing a competition. Unfortunately Aitken is not there yet.. As a club we have to aspire to have the centers of the quality of no less than a Gasnier/ Cooper.

Dugan/ Lafai brings us a lot closer to the benchmark than Matauatai/ Aitken and if u don't agree then u must be watching another sport..

getsmarty

Immortal
No I think Mann is a bullshit signing! But ask urself this.. Why would Mcgregor be chasing every available centre if he was happy w his current pair - especially centers that will demand 1st grade positions like Hiku, Lafai, Roberts..

The writing is on the wall for the kid.. He did well for his first year but is in no way the strike centre the club needs hence the decision by the club to go out and recruit one centre and move Dugan to the other centre position therefore replacing last years ineffective duo..

And to remind also that the coach was one of the greatest centres of his era - so he knows exactly what a first class centre should b delivering to a NRL team chasing a competition. Unfortunately Aitken is not there yet.. As a club we have to aspire to have the centers of the quality of no less than a Gasnier/ Cooper.

Dugan/ Lafai brings us a lot closer to the benchmark than Matauatai/ Aitken and if u don't agree then u must be watching another sport..

Mann is a utility player...more a 6 or fullback who is versatile. Probably signed as our Triangle player to quote our coaching staff.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
http://youtu.be/WqiESMH-ZaY

Most of the stuff with lafai on the left at 3 is him at 19.

Hmmm, they look pretty similar to me, more power than finesse. As much as every bags Aitken's speed, looking at those highlights, Lafai doesn't look any quicker. His foot work is probably better though. Lafai only played 8 games in 2011. He turned 20 on the 27/5/2011. He then only played 5 games of NRL in 2012.

Aitken has played a whole year of FG, the kid can only get better. I for one hope he at least gets a wing spot.

BennyV

Referee
Hmmm, they look pretty similar to me, more power than finesse. As much as every bags Aitken's speed, looking at those highlights, Lafai doesn't look any quicker. His foot work is probably better though. Lafai only played 8 games in 2011. He turned 20 on the 27/5/2011. He then only played 5 games of NRL in 2012.

Aitken has played a whole year of FG, the kid can only get better. I for one hope he at least gets a wing spot.

I'm not sure he's suited to wing. You need footwork and agility, which Euan needs to build. He is also unproven under bombs. Wont (shouldnt) get a wing spot over Mata'utia or even Milne/YKG.

If he starts the season in Cutters, there will be plenty of chances for him to play first grade through the year.

Old Timer

Coach
Aitken is a one dimensional centre.. Runs straight and hard only
Too slow for centre
No offloading skills to set up his outside winger
Bereft of creativity or a step

On the plus he's a solid defender but if ur comparing him to Lafais size, pace, ball skills, step, experience including grand final appearance, international and try scoring prowess circa 2014 there's no contest..

Stop defending local juniors.. U. Wouldn't be favouring Aitken if he wasnt a junior..

We need to put the best players in the starting line up and unfortunately for Aitken he's a distant second to Lafai or Mcgregor wouldn't have spent the dollars on both Mann and him if he thought Aitken was up for it..

Aitken needs more time to develop his craft.. He's solid but by no means a strike centre and that's what Dragons need..

You say stop defending local juniors but you keep supporting questionable buys.

Simple stats are Lafai last year was poor so stop talking up his 2014 form it counts for nothing because a whole season and 22 NRL 1st grade games have gone past.

You quote all the stats around 2014 to validate your argument and talk about how all the play at the Dogs went to the other side bla bla bla and then go on to say that Aitken is not a strike centre, yet take nothing into account for EA being outside a highly dis-functional halves pairing, BM who is not a natural 7 (and furthermore has recently stated that next year he is going to be even more selfish with the ball) and on top of that a hog for a full back.

If BM & JD learn how to play team football then you might be able to see what EA can really do so put the blame where it belongs and not on the kid for our pedestrian attack last year.

If you think that TL will make a difference if we play the same way next year you are kidding yourself.

If you think we will play a different style next year then the kid deserves his chance before some bloke who had his best season more than 22 games ago.

Simple stats are Lafai last year was poor so stop talking up his 2014 form it counts for nothing because a whole season and 22 NRL 1st grade games have gone past.

You quote all the stats around 2014 to validate your argument and talk about how all the play at the Dogs went to the other side bla bla bla and then go on to say that Aitken is not a strike centre, yet take nothing into account for EA being outside a highly dis-functional halves pairing, BM who is not a natural 7 (and furthermore has recently stated that next year he is going to be even more selfish with the ball) and on top of that a hog for a full back.

If BM & JD learn how to play team football then you might be able to see what EA can really do so put the blame where it belongs and not on the kid for our pedestrian attack last year.

If you think that TL will make a difference if we play the same way next year you are kidding yourself.

If you think we will play a different style next year then the kid deserves his chance before some bloke who had his best season more than 22 games ago.

Mostly agree but can you please stop with the initials? It's doing my head in.

Straight Shooter

possm

Coach
If we don't sign Roberts - and I don't think we will now that we have signed Lafai - I'd like us to stick with Dugan at fullback for the first few rounds. However, I would like to see a Widdop/Marshall swap during the trials. I believe this might prove to be a winner. So my backline would be:

1. Dugan
2. Matta 'Utai
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Benji
7. Widdop

hardbaby

Coach
If we don't sign Roberts - and I don't think we will now that we have signed Lafai - I'd like us to stick with Dugan at fullback for the first few rounds. However, I would like to see a Widdop/Marshall swap during the trials. I believe this might prove to be a winner. So my backline would be:

1. Dugan
2. Matta 'Utai
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Benji
7. Widdop

I think that's right. I would have moved Dugan but now that they have signed Lafai it changes. But I really hope Dugan learns to bloody pass. Otherwise it's Mann at fullback and Aitken dropped.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I'm not sure he's suited to wing. You need footwork and agility, which Euan needs to build. He is also unproven under bombs. Wont (shouldnt) get a wing spot over Mata'utia or even Milne/YKG.

If he starts the season in Cutters, there will be plenty of chances for him to play first grade through the year.

Well Dugan is still only 26, lafai 24. They could very well be our centres for the next 5-6 years. So if he is not suited for wing, too small for lock, I'd say we will likely lose Aitken to another team. He won't hang around too long playing in the cutters.

saint.nick

Coach
People are just using the 'best form from last year' logic to veil their sentiment for local boy Aitken. Lafai has shown far more potency in his career than Aitken.

saint.nick

Coach

How the hell is Lafai a questionable buy :lol:

BennyV

Referee
Well Dugan is still only 26, lafai 24. They could very well be our centres for the next 5-6 years. So if he is not suited for wing, too small for lock, I'd say we will likely lose Aitken to another team. He won't hang around too long playing in the cutters.

If Aitken isnt a better option than those 2, then so be it. If he is, he will jump them in the pecking order.

Consider other possibilities though. I personally don't think Aitken is to small for backrow, look at Wade Graham, Luke Lewis and how they started off. Also consider that Dugan has all the tools to be a backrower of he loses a bit of speed. I dont think this comes anywhere near meaning that at lose Aitken.

getsmarty

Immortal
Originally Posted by mickeylane
I'm getting a little excited now..

Worst case scenario backline
1. Mann
2. Nightingale
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Matuatai

Best case scenario backline
1. Roberts