What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lance Franklin 100 Goal Season Thread

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Not his fault he gets a shove in the back evertime he outreaches someone. Good game so far.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
f**k me this guy is a protected species, looks like the umpires have been reading his publicity notes

5 free kicks and its only half time, no wonder he isn't marking the ball, he doesn't have to

AuckMel

Bench
Seems the slightest touch gets him a free. He's got a bad habit of exaggerating contact too.

CyberKev

Staff member
FMD. I've now seen three of the four frees in question, and two were clearly there, while the other was a soft technical one that all forwards receive at times in the current game, Franklin less than most.

Its not as if Franklin gets looked after anything like a raft of Cat players who are on Jeff Gischen's disgraceful protected players list, but its not surprising that we haven't seen Twizz on here talking about that. Typical Geelong fan hypocrisy really.

Still, Franklin's 'protected status' would surely show up in the figures...

Over his career, Franklin has won the free kick count against his opponent on 14.8% of occasions with the majority of these wins involving 1-0 or 2-1 counts. In 93.2% of his matches he's received less than 3 kicks for the game. His career frees for to against ratio is running at 34%-66% and he has been routinely scragged off the ball for years with immunity.

No doubt he's getting a better run than other key forwards in the game...

- Travis Cloke has won his free count on 34% of occasions, but isn't typically a high free winner either, with 96% of his matches returning free for tallies of less than three. Over his career, he is running a 52-48 free ratio in his favour.

- James Podsiadly has won his free kick count on 25% of occasions and similarly to Lance has received less than 3 free kicks in 93.2% of his games. His free kick career ratio is currently running at 45-55.

- Nick Reiwoldt has won his free kick count on a staggering (for a forward) 53% of occasions and has received less than 3 free kicks in 83.7 % of his games. His ratio is a flabbergasting 73-27.

- Jack Riewoldt wins his direct free kick count on 38% of occasions, which is high side, but isn't a big free kick winner in numbers per game, returning less than 3 kicks in 98% of his games. His ratio is running at 52-48, as per Travis Cloke.

- Jonathan Brown has won his direct free kick count in 35% of games and has had less than 3 free kicks in 91% of games. His free kick ratio runs 50-50.

- Matthew Pavlich has won his free kick count in 31% of games, receiving less than 3 frees in 91.5% of games. As for Brown, his ratio runs at 50-50.

And lets look outside the forwards to see how a player like Joel Selwood is faring...

Joel wins his direct free count on a trifling 66% of occasions, recording less than 3 frees in only 63% of games. His ratio is a Reiwoldt like 69-31.

And how did Gary Ablett Jnr go during his Geelong years, one wonders?

Considering he had free kick created for him, his figures are surprisingly sedate (compared to Selwood, at least). He won his count on 43% of occasions, received less than 3 kicks in 87.5% of games and ran a ratio of 57-43.

Geez, I could only wish that other players from other clubs would get the sort of protection that Franklin is afforded. :roll:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
nice bunch of stats but can you point out which ones refer to the first half of yesterdays game to which I was referring

and yeh, I agree probably 2 were free kicks but not 5

4 marks for the game so he will continue to rely on free kicks if he's gonna get anywhere near his ton

TommyHawk is no where near the class of Buddy but he showed yesterday how to mark in difficult conditions with 8 solid marks

CyberKev

Staff member
Actually Twizz...

He had four free kicks, not five, and having seen the fourth one, which clearly showed Lonergan getting his hands into Lance's back, we have three out of the four that were fine.

He gets bugger all frees and averages closer to 7 marks a game, so I'm sure he'll get by across the season okay.

Hawkins had a good game, but he was on the receiving end of good delivery while playing one out against a young developing CHB. Even then he was allowed to get away with blatant hands in the back on at least two occasions.

Its clear he's improved, and he's needed to, but lets see how he goes over the length of a season, before we get too excited.

Last edited:

Azyboy

Juniors
I suspect the angst at the free kicks paid to Franklin is that the chopping of the arms (minor incidental contact mostly) should be play on. If these were to be paid consistently all over the fground, there'd be 30-40 frees for this a week. The rule was introduced to stop defenders dragging,/grabbing an arm and preventing the forward from going for his marks with both hands - minor incidental chopping of the hands, arms should be play on.

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

I know the angst about Franklin comes purely from nothing related to in-game events at all...

Only one of the frees was paid for an arm chop, and its not as if Franklin gets a welter of kicks on these grounds.

Podsiadly got three goals in the opening term of the game last June from frees for soft "arm chops", but we didn't see Twizz on here bleating about him being a protected species.

The figures clearly show that Franklin gets significantly less frees paid than other key forwards. What commonly happens is that the umpires will let a raft of overt defender indiscretions on him go, and then on the very odd occasion will inexplicably pay him a soft one, which is immediately seized on by anti-Franklin dills, as evidence of favouritism.

CyberKev

Staff member
It wasn't hard to see where this thread was going to go when it was created.

Given that several players could kick the ton, but almost certainly none will, would have been better to initiate a generic 100 goal a season thread.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

I know the angst about Franklin comes purely from nothing related to in-game events at all...

Only one of the frees was paid for an arm chop, and its not as if Franklin gets a welter of kicks on these grounds.

Podsiadly got three goals in the opening term of the game last June from frees for soft "arm chops", but we didn't see Twizz on here bleating about him being a protected species.

The figures clearly show that Franklin gets significantly less frees paid than other key forwards. What commonly happens is that the umpires will let a raft of overt defender indiscretions on him go, and then on the very odd occasion will inexplicably pay him a soft one, which is immediately seized on by anti-Franklin dills, as evidence of favouritism.

I dont dislike Buddy, he's OK, and dont really care what happened in other games but he did get some soft ones imo and like Azyboy said, you dont see them paid around the ground which is stoopid becuase the rule should apply to everyone

interesting CK that you had to go back to the middle of last season where Pods got 3, imagine if he got 5 in one half

seems that I'm not the only one who thought he got few soft ones

and while we're on that subject how Whitecross didn't get booked for his hit on Selwood was a bit confusing to say the least, thank god for the tribunal

meltiger

First Grade
Saw a pretty frank post on BF recently, Hawthorn fan commenting on Buddy. He was in the middle of where you two sit. In that yes he is forcing the issue but only due to years of defenders getting away with molesting him unpunished. Some interesting photos in there too showing defenders tactics against him.

As for Kevs stats, whilst fair dont even bring Selwood into it. Filthy cheatball deserves his own thread. Whilst a fair defense of Lance it's insulting to have him mentioned in the same vein as that cheating Geelong flog

I would though be wary of whinging about any GAJ created rules given Buddy's arc ;-)

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
& the wrong one very specifically targetted to ensure Buddy isn't run out of the game kicking what was it? 3 goals 12? lol

Just saying whilst you are right in defending him over the free kick issue, let's not get hypocritical.

& Selwood is still a cheating flog

CyberKev

Staff member
& the wrong one very specifically targetted to ensure Buddy isn't run out of the game kicking what was it? 3 goals 12? lol

Guffaw, given how inaccurate he is ever and always, it can't be helping much on that score, particularly when he takes himself out wider with shots taken from the left.

CyberKev

Staff member
& Selwood is still a cheating flog

Technically he's not breaking the rules, I suppose, but its very much contrary to the spirit of the game and is diametrically opposed to the AFL's obsession with preventing head contact wherever possible.

It could be fixed by the umpires "overlooking" all but the most blatant head contact involving Selwood.

This is unlikely, given he is obviously a key player on that disgraceful Geischen protected player list (how could he not be fired for condoning such nonsense?), although you'd think the AFL should be compelled to act after Selwood got in the press essentially gloating about how he manipulates the contact.

Maybe they need to send him to Neil Sachse's place for a chat. The poor bastard broke his neck in an accidental on-field incident that Selwood goes out of his way to deliberately recreate in pretty much every game he plays.

Last edited:

meltiger

First Grade
What do they do if the cheat drops his head and someoen knocks him out? Are they going to suspend the "infringer" ? Bet they would.

The flog makes a mockery of a rule meant to protect players.

Yes, VERY much against the spirit of the game.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
how is it his fault if he keeps getting head hunted ?

and please, dont tell me he's the only player in the AFL that ducts his head

CyberKev

Staff member
how is it his fault if he keeps getting head hunted ?

and please, dont tell me he's the only player in the AFL that ducts his head

Ducts his head? I don't know, nor want to know, what types of plastic surgery players are undergoing these days, but its very common knowledge that Selwood deliberately ducks his head.

He's openly admitted that its his primary game day tactic.

And nobody is saying he is the only player to have done it, we're saying he is the only player to do it continually, game-in and game-out.

He's certainly good enough not to need to indulge in nonsense that openly puts his well-being at risk and places opponents undeservedly at risk of suspension. Very poor effort.

Latest posts