What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lance Franklin 100 Goal Season Thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ducts his head? I don't know, nor want to know, what types of plastic surgery players are undergoing these days, but its very common knowledge that Selwood deliberately ducks his head.

He's openly admitted that its his primary game day tactic.

And nobody is saying he is the only player to have done it, we're saying he is the only player to do it continually, game-in and game-out.

He's certainly good enough not to need to indulge in nonsense that openly puts his well-being at risk and places opponents undeservedly at risk of suspension. Very poor effort.

the umpires make the decisions, not him, how is that cheating ?

he didn't make up the rules yet nearly got decapitated against the Hawks and they get away with it on the basis that it was accidental like most other head contacts that get penalised

no one purposely attacks the head, they are just about all accidental and they still get penalised yet somehow Hawthorne get away with it

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

You're all over the shop with that and not really making any sense.

As I said above, what Selwood is doing is not technically cheating, but it is against the spirit of the game. He has openly admitted that his major tactic is to deliberately duck into opposing players to draw frees. He is not the only player to have done this, but he is the only player to do it on a deliberately consistent basis, hence why his free count (one of the top three in the competition) is so high.

Clearly you're sprouting nonsense about the Whitecross incident in the rest of your post. Selwood was not 'nearly decapitated' in the incident, but rather he was left dazed after running into a hapless Whitecross (who was still getting up off the ground) and driving him 2 metres backward through the force with which he hit the Hawk player. 99.9% of the footballing world and community accept this interpretation, which is all too obvious when viewed through normal speed. The 0.1% who don't accept it, delude themselves with isolated viewings of slow motion footage, of which you could comfortably fit 100 freezeframes into the second that Whitecross had to act when he realised Selwood was about to barrel through him.

The problematic head rule was put in place to stop players directly (or indirectly) initiating a play that caused unnecessary contact to an opposing players head. Most players are outed accordingly, unless they play for the West Coast Eagles, apparently.

The rule wasn't put in place to punish poor unsuspecting bastards who get unavoidably barreled into by head down opponents, whilst stationary.

I actually think this was one time in which Selwood wasn't deliberately trying to do it, but he did do it regardless, and the tribunal correctly avoided a massive miscarriage of justice by clearing Whitecross, much to the relief of every other footballer in the competition.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'll make it simpler

that gets penalised every other weekend, got nothing to do with it being accidental or not

CyberKev

Staff member
^^^

Pure rubbish.

Show me footage of all these alleged incidents where players are getting suspended for being unavoidably barreled through by head-down opponents.

There are none. You know it, I know it, the world knows it!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
as you well know, any contact with the head gets penalised and its rarely intentional, I think the technical term is wreckless

yet Buddy gets a free kick if a mozzie bites him on the arm

can you imagine the national outcry of that happened to Buddy instead of Selwood

it would not only be a free but a 100 or 200 penalty or however far was needed to let him kick from inside the box, not to mention he'd probably be out for a month

CyberKev

Staff member
Players are deemed reckless when they initiate (even accidentally) head contact with an opponent by attempting to bump or running through packs.

The all important consideration in such cases being that the said player actively initiates the contact, which could otherwise have been avoidable.

A player cannot be considered reckless where he is effectively stationary and the head contact is fully initiated by the opposing player barreling into him head down, making such contact unavoidable.

It was rightly dismissed. Would have been a potential disaster for the competition if the tribunal had ruled otherwise.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
unless it happened to Buddy

I'm aware of what is deemed reckless, the umpires and tribunal seem to have their own interpretation

meltiger

First Grade
Yet the stats provided show that Fraklin doesnt get large amounts of free kicks.

FMD the way you talk one would think he's of the Lloyd ilk

CyberKev

Staff member
To say nothing of the fact that he's considerably more likely to be outed for initiating head contact (he's been done 4 times for this, all fair by the letter of the law, as they could've been avoided) than getting the contact.

But, of course, Twizz would be quite happy for anyone and everyone to be at risk of being outed for nothing more than getting barreled into by a charging opponent with his head down, just so long as Joel can keep milking the kicks.

My main gripe with the head contact rule is that they'll readily out players for the softer ones, but downplay incidents like the Waters one from a fortnight ago, which was much harder and potentially damaging to the guy getting hit. Low impact my butt, guffaw.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
To say nothing of the fact that he's considerably more likely to be outed for initiating head contact (he's been done 4 times for this, all fair by the letter of the law, as they could've been avoided) than getting the contact.

But, of course, Twizz would be quite happy for anyone and everyone to be at risk of being outed for nothing more than getting barreled into by a charging opponent with his head down, just so long as Joel can keep milking the kicks.

My main gripe with the head contact rule is that they'll readily out players for the softer ones, but downplay incidents like the Waters one from a fortnight ago, which was much harder and potentially damaging to the guy getting hit. Low impact my butt, guffaw.

now now, lets not over react, I wouldn't be happy for that to happen at all

I'm talking about what happened to Selwood and what happened to Buddy in the Cats/Harks game

got nothing to do with any other game

your turn

CyberKev

Staff member
art_svBUDDY-420x0.jpg
458631-tom-lonergan.jpg
871607-lance-franklin.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
case in point

he is clearly trying to bitchslap Taylor, bite Lonergan and hold back Enright

Nice find though, but I'm not sure what images from 2011 have to do with the subject matter of the Hawks/Cats game this year

Azyboy

Juniors
He didn't look to be throwing his head back as much at Subi the other night and looked much the better for it. Has probably collected a few soft frees of late but is still in the red re receiving the rub of the green from the umpiring constabulary.

meltiger

First Grade
He's hit #500 today.

What is he, 25-27yo?

Doubt he'll get to Lockett, but could easily be the next to break the 1k

CyberKev

Staff member
When has he ever 'gone walkabout'?

Even when struggling he's averaged over 3 goals a game.

Latest posts