What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lance thompson jus got released ?

Dragonheart

Juniors
When we re-signed Greensheilds I agreed it was a good thing, but in reality that has been the catalyst.

The way things seem at the moment:

2006 - Thompson gone, Head back at number 7 with Hornby at fullback......Greenshields to Premier League.

2007 - Bailey gone, Greenshields gone, Thompson into second season with [insert team name here] and enjoying the fact that he is hammering our baby props at every opportunity.

2008 - Peter Doust resigns under pressure from angry fans of the club after St. George Illawarra take wooden spoon, due to lack of cohesion in stable player roster. Gus Gould signed to replace sacked Nathan Brown after he publicly admitted he disagreed with the direction the club had taken under Peter Doust:lol:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol. That's quite a prediction Dragonheart. You should bookmark it to see if it pans out that way. ;-)

Offcourse there's a couple of factors to consider such as other players coming through and there's always that tricky question of 'how does a NRL club CEO get sacked?'

Its not looking good but we can only hope that cool heads prevail in the coming week(s).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Dragons don't win the Premiership I can't see Doust or Brown surviving. With that much talent they should have won one by now hence the reason for these massive changes. Pressure is getting to them.

Salary cap sux. Without it there would be no problem. Should make massive changes and not include juniors but hey why will that happen. Roosters won't ever be affected.

If they do release those 2 maybe thay can get Jason Hooper back from England. He is a quality player and would not effect the salary cap as he is from overseas. Plays similar role to Timmo and Thommo.

If Thommo goes overseas for 1 year and Dragons sign him will that mean he will be excluded from the salary cap? At 27 it may be a good option. Or maybe Thommo should play Union for a year.........

Could that be the reason why Gas may go to Union??????

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If we're making wild prediction stuff. How about Doust overseeing the demise of the JV?

It'll make this media fracas with Thommo look like a walk in the park.

redwhitedragon

Juniors
drake said:
Great Idea! Ditch the best prop in the game because it's only 1 season. :roll:
2006 is our best shot at winning a comp before another "rebuilding" phase.

2007 is going to see a lot more of our current team playing elsewhere than just Bailey and Greenshields. Bails signed for unders anyway.

I'd take Bailey for one year over Thompson for 3 anyday.
06 our best shot?
05 was our best chance and we blew it. You know as well I do that these chances don't come every year. We basically had one foot on the eels throat, and we had a hand on the Telstra cup. Everyone is missing the point we will neva win a comp with this team's morale. I wish we had 13 Lance thompsons. We still have a divide and that will remain until we build mateship. We never played like our lives depeded on it. That is the only reason why we are not premiers. I love Bull to death our best prop in the last 20 years but we want to chuck out a player who would die for this club?
thats not on.

drake

First Grade
If Thommo would die for our club, why is he dragging our club through the mud publicly?
There are guys who go to every game, home and away, country, QLD and NZ. They go to AGMs and RedV nights. I dare say they love the Red V. Does this qualify them all to play for St george Illawarra?

Season 05 is gone mate, we have to look at the future, and '07 may be pretty bleak roster wise. Releasing Bailey to make room for a petulant child would be pointless.

Southernsaint

Staff member
drake said:
If Thommo would die for our club, why is he dragging our club through the mud publicly?
There are guys who go to every game, home and away, country, QLD and NZ. They go to AGMs and RedV nights. I dare say they love the Red V. Does this qualify them all to play for St george Illawarra?

Season 05 is gone mate, we have to look at the future, and '07 may be pretty bleak roster wise. Releasing Bailey to make room for a petulant child would be pointless.

Drake, the club were happy to play up to Thommo's passion when they were getting him to take multiple pay-cuts to keep blokes like Barrett & Gasnier at the club.

Peter Doust, in a transparent act of "spin" is now using this passion against him, trying to paint him as "hot headed" & "irresponsible".

drake

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
Drake, the club were happy to play up to Thommo's passion when they were getting him to take multiple pay-cuts to keep blokes like Barrett & Gasnier at the club.

Peter Doust, in a transparent act of "spin" is now using this passion against him, trying to paint him as "hot headed" & "irresponsible".
Of course they were Southernsaint. I have no doubt that Lance loves the Dragons, I just get the feeling that he may feel he has a bit of exclusivity in that area. Should his passion for St George justify the sh*t he has put on the club, and by extension us supporters? He is putting himself over the club, which is understandable, but clashes with the image of the stalwart clubman.

As to Doust, well even Ricky Stuart paid out Doust for how much he likes to get his head on the telly. Fella probably wants a sponsorship from crown. ;-)
One of Dousts strengths as a CEO is that he is a great spin doctor. CEO is usually synonomous with lying, oily, backstabbing, power hungry bastard in most places.

My stance is this: I respect Thommo as a passionate and hard working player, and although he has a history of bringing the club into disrepute, he has always offset it with his sacrifices and the effort he made for the club.
His latest actions of going to the media, and in particular Danny Weidler, are unacceptable by an adult. I wouldn't accept this kind of behaviour from my kids. He must be punished for bringing the club into disrepute.

Doust I think has done a good job at Saints, his work is starting to pay off. He is not a rugby league dope, Crown jokes aside.
But the way he and Brown have handled this has been immature and unprofessional. All opinions should have been kept in house until they were dealt with. Rogue meat-head footballers mouthing off in the press is bad enough; CEOs and coaches is ridiculous. Just because the media vultures are circling doesn't mean you have to throw them a carcass.

Shaun Timmins is the only one to have handled this properly. He is obviously not happy about being tapped on the shoulder, but he hasn't bagged anyone off in the media.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
drake said:
Shaun Timmins is the only one to have handled this properly. He is obviously not happy about being tapped on the shoulder, but he hasn't bagged anyone off in the media.
As far as I can tell, its only been Doust and Thompson. When pushed for comment, Timmins, Brown and Barrett have all been quite diplomatic, to my knowledge.

Obviously you guys didn't hear Lance on the "MMM" this morning. He just stated his case - saying there was no meeting on the Friday and he would have gone if he had been advised. He did not bag the management and just said he wanted to play for the Dragons - he had had offers earlier on in the year but ALWAYS wants to be a Dragon. I disagree with Drake in that Doust has done a good job at the Dragons - this sort of mismanagement of such a situation is an example of such. To top this off Lance has been on holidays and as reported in the SMH yesterday is going to be disciplined because of his behaviour leaving the Awards ceremony and talking to the press, etc, etc. These comments were from a letter that Doust had apparently sent to Lance yet Lance hadn't even received the letter as he was away. Then it is obviously Doust and his team that have had this letter printed. So if Lance needs to be disciplined so should Doust for bringing the club into disrepute. If this was handled correctly in the first place we wouldn't be hearing about our beloved club in such a way. It has even overshadowed Bennett's disgraceful sacking of his coaching crew - as if they are the total blame for the Bronco's falling over.

I sure hope this turns out okay for the sake of the club and the guys can pull together to bring in the big one in 2006 with Thommo and Timmo.

Dragonheart

Juniors
drake said:

Thommo isn't actually dragging the club through the mud. The media always make more of it than it is in reality.

drake said:

I don't like bagging, or arguing with another Dragons fan, but my initial response to this was "That's a stupid thing to say". I've LOVED my team for 40 years, have nearly every TV game since 1992, Grand Finals going back to 1961, and have, like many others, collected some very cool memorabillia. I have even gone so far as get into more than a couple of physical altercations in defense of my teams good name (when I was young and silly), and even 'stalked' Lord Ted at the club after the 1996 GF.

However....I don't feel, nor am I interested in, ever taking the field for the team. In addition, I have no interest in watching some other club supporter do the same.

drake said:

"Petulant Child"??

If you had given your entire football life to a club/team, since you were in school, and were suddenly pushed aside, you'd have a respone as well. 11 seasons in first grade, for this club, earn Lance not only some respect, but a whole sh*tload of courtesy. I'm not going to presume I know the inner workings of how this all went down, and neither should you. There are probably only 3 people who do, and none of them work for the media.

drake

First Grade
Dragonheart, I know you're a very passionate supporter of Lance's, but the fact is he went to Weidler, or at least fed him, and bagged out the club. I'm not a fan of the way he was treated, and I can understand he's hurt, but to my mind, that's not an acceptable excuse.

I know if I did what Lance did to my employer, I would have been looking for a new job and a defence attorney.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Drake, both sides (Doust and Thompson) used the media. Doust wasn't backward in throwing a few of his rocks and was happy to 'feed' the papers as well.

In particular, a letter addressed from Peter Doust to Lance Thompson appeared in the SMH before Lance received it. Mischievious reporting or was it leaked?

If you feel that what Thompson did was unacceptable, then did Doust act in an unacceptable manner as well?

Personally I thought it was messy all round.

drake

First Grade
Willow said:
Drake, both sides (Doust and Thompson) used the media. Doust wasn't backward in throwing a few of his rocks and was happy to 'feed' the papers as well.

In particular, a letter addressed from Peter Doust to Lance Thompson appeared in the SMH before Lance received it. Mischievious reporting or was it leaked?

If you feel that what Thompson did was unacceptable, then did Doust act in an unacceptable manner as well?

Personally I thought it was messy all round.
Yep, I do think what Doust did was unnacceptable, and I've bagged his behaviour several times.
Drake said:
I still reckon he's been a prick, not by "screwing" Thompson (and Timmins who isn't whinging), but by bagging off Thompson in the press. Very unprofessional indeed. Too much crown makes Peter a sad clown.
Drake said:
I think Doust has handled the media side of this badly, by denegrading a club stalwart publicly, but I think he has had a job of juggling live grenades when it comes to our cap since we hit our straps this season, and is trying his best to do what he can to get the Dragons under the cap legally. (I don't know why he hasn't bought a ford from Uncle Nick and gotten some handy hints in the process.)

I don't recall any posts or threads defending Doust or wanting a rally to support him.

Out of the four St George Illawarra staff directly involved (Doust, Brown, Thommo and Timmo), Timmins and Brown have handled it well, especially Timmins who was seemingly ambushed by Weidler and still didn't make any accusations.
Ryles and Barrett's comments were professional and supportive, without giving anything to the media scabs to feed off.

I earlier posted that Brown had handled it badly, which I retract completely, his statements have been supportive of Lance without insulting Doust.

Drake said:
As to Doust, well even Ricky Stuart paid out Doust for how much he likes to get his head on the telly. Fella probably wants a sponsorship from crown. ;-)
One of Dousts strengths as a CEO is that he is a great spin doctor. CEO is usually synonomous with lying, oily, backstabbing, power hungry bastard in most places.

My stance is this: I respect Thommo as a passionate and hard working player, and although he has a history of bringing the club into disrepute, he has always offset it with his sacrifices and the effort he made for the club.
His latest actions of going to the media, and in particular Danny Weidler, are unacceptable by an adult. I wouldn't accept this kind of behaviour from my kids. He must be punished for bringing the club into disrepute.

Doust I think has done a good job at Saints, his work is starting to pay off. He is not a rugby league dope, Crown jokes aside.
But the way he and Brown* have handled this has been immature and unprofessional. All opinions should have been kept in house until they were dealt with. Rogue meat-head footballers mouthing off in the press is bad enough; CEOs and coaches is ridiculous. Just because the media vultures are circling doesn't mean you have to throw them a carcass.

*see above retraction. :oops:

Doust and Thommo have both carried on in a manner not befitting professionals with a public profile; Thommo first speaking with Weidler, then Doust bagging Lance off. Very unprofessional. The ensuing game of media insult tennis has only benifitted the media vultures.

Personally I hope that come 2006 Doust and Thommo can come to an agreement, both have a good look at the way they carried on, apologise to the club and it's supporters, and get on with the business of winning a premiership.

I hate quoting myself, but my paranoia demands I defend myself. :lol:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
LOL. Very detailed stuff Drake. Must have been fun revisiting it all. ;-)

I agree that Brown, and Barrett for that matter, have handled it much better. Both were tracked down by the media for a comment and both kept their cool. They showed the tact and diplomacy you would expect from officials and senior players.

I remain positive. I still think this is going to be sorted out.

drake

First Grade
I reckon so too.

Hopefully Doust will be given some time to grieve his dad, and Thommo some time to get his head together (and drop Nasser bloody Khoder) without germs like Weidler harrassing them.

BTW, sorry for being long winded, I really don't want to come across as some Peter Doust fan boy.

Smartman

Juniors
Yes the salary cap bites hard
icon6.gif

Poor Thommo hes taken like 300 salary pay cuts in his career and now most likely getting the boot.

Disloyal fekks!
icon6.gif

Latest posts