What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last Storm try after fulltime??

carcharias

Immortal
It really baffles me why league fans are so insanely stupid that they can't see that this was a royal f**k up that needs to be corrected through changing how time is kept.

The NRL needs to make the end of play reviewable by the video ref with clearly defined guidelines on what constitutes the ball being in play so that this never happens again. Its that f**king simple and anyone who isn't a complete dunce would agree.

Instead we just have a bunch of schoolyard idiots piling on with "lol@merge" nonsense simply because it wasn't their team who got the raw deal. These same fans mind will be the first to cry like little girls the next time a blunder costs their team and loudly wonder why the NRL officiating is so average.

goes both ways though.

Ignoring other decisions that clearly gave the dragons an advantage while screaming blue murder for a last millisecond ref f**kup is bit hypocritical.

betcats

Referee
And what if the ref still didn't call time after that? Just make another one, and another and another?

The ref f**ked up big. The dragons did nothing wrong. They have every right to be pissed and I for one hope they never stop complaining until something is actually changed by the NRL.

#codeincrisis

Danish

Referee
If the tackled player gets up and gets his foot on the ball before the siren its in play i am pretty sure is the rule. They got it wrong but there was less then a second in it.

A second is a hell of a long time in absolutely any sport. A second is all referees have to make basically ANY decision in our game. If they aren't up to it then get the f**k out of the sport.

Whats more, no one is expecting that the referee get this call right live and on the fly. Its an easily reviewable decision which just about every other professional sport I can think of allows video review after the fact to ensure it is correct.

Its a simple fix, and one that should be implemented immediately. I don't even see how it is debatable.

bileduct

Coach
Doust asked to be awarded 2 points and for Storm to keep the 2 points as they weren`t at fault either..
Storm were just playing to the whistle as ALL teams would have done.
Link please, as the only articles I have seen clearly have Doust asking for the decision to be overturned.

Danish

Referee
goes both ways though.

Ignoring other decisions that clearly gave the dragons an advantage while screaming blue murder for a last millisecond ref f**kup is bit hypocritical.

Time expiring is not up for debate or interpretation. It cannot be skewed by camera angles.

It is absolutely certain that time expired before the storm played the ball. There is no debate or excuse. A ruling should be made that all future games will allow for the referee to review if the ball was in play when time expired to ensure this never happens again.

Think of it in such a way that affects you, carch. Imagine the ref just awarded Linnett a try in the corner against the sharks last year in the first week of the finals. Replays show that his foot was clearly out, and the try call was wrong. Would you just take this in stride on would you blow up about it and expect the NRL to take action?

jamesgould

Juniors
It really baffles me why league fans are so insanely stupid that they can't see that this was a royal f**k up that needs to be corrected through changing how time is kept.

The NRL needs to make the end of play reviewable by the video ref with clearly defined guidelines on what constitutes the ball being in play so that this never happens again. Its that f**king simple and anyone who isn't a complete dunce would agree.

Instead we just have a bunch of schoolyard idiots piling on with "lol@merge" nonsense simply because it wasn't their team who got the raw deal. These same fans mind will be the first to cry like little girls the next time a blunder costs their team and loudly wonder why the NRL officiating is so average.

I agree with this.

I remember Steve Mascord saying probably about five years ago that the disparity around the tv clock, the ground clock, and the timekeepers clock needed to be fixed up, and it would inevitably become an issue at some stage. In the NBA they are all synched as far as I understand, we simply need the same thing in the NRL! Plus the video ref counting down in the refs ear as a back up.

This is a terrible look for the sport, and yet another area where the NRL wait till a complete fiasco to fix up something that should have been addressed about a decade ago.

We've already had two other games affected by similar c**k ups this year - Warriors vs Wests and Manly vs Wests. The refs suddenly seem like a deer in the headlights when the siren goes, and would rather not make a decision.

Pritty simple really the ref made a massive blunder so did the Dragons players for not playing to the whistle but the ref has to take responsibility he should have blown time off.

The decision will stand not much else can be done but this is a classic example of how bad the officiating has become to many times even simple things like drop balls and forward passes are being missed with two refs and two linesman how the hell is this still happening I can only say this they are useless and most of them aren't upto professional standard.

Its funny the usual people who hate the Dragons come in and sprout their usual shit but if the shoe is on the other foot and it happens to their team they will be the first people to have a whinge and honestly rightfully so.

What fan wants to go to a game and have it dictated and ultimately ruined by an offical I wouldn't waste my hard earned money the NRL has let itself down and the public in general and deserve to get laughed at by ever other sport in Australia.

betcats

Referee
A second is a hell of a long time in absolutely any sport. A second is all referees have to make basically ANY decision in our game. If they aren't up to it then get the f**k out of the sport.

Whats more, no one is expecting that the referee get this call right live and on the fly. Its an easily reviewable decision which just about every other professional sport I can think of allows video review after the fact to ensure it is correct.

Its a simple fix, and one that should be implemented immediately. I don't even see how it is debatable.

I am not against making changes so it doesnt happen again.

It really goes to show how shit the NRL are they make all these rule changes yet a simple time keeping issue arises which should never have and they have to apologise for it.

How the two men in question haven't been stood down is an even bigger joke they both where there they both should be stood down.

Parra

Referee
Dragons players for not playing to the whistle

They played from the play the ball that happened after the siren for around another 25 seconds until the ref blew the whistle to hand the Storm the game.

What makes you think the Dragons players stopped playing?

Usain Bolt

Bench
The funniest thing about the last play was all the derp dragon players flocked to one side of the field and once Waqa threw that pass you could see all the open space. It was like watching 5yr olds all chase after the ball.

Y2Eel

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/the-dragons-want-the-two-competition-points-they-were-robbed-of-in-mondays-siren-blunder/story-fndujljl-1226885741103

Watched the Video of the last play when the siren sounds the storm player is on his feet about to play it, The rule as it says that that he has to have his foot on it..

There was what less then half a second between the siren sounding and the storm player getting to his feet. You can't blame the refs for that can you? You cannot be that desperate or can you?

Has anyone from the St George fan base asked why Nightingale was on the opposite side of the field when the last kick was put across? leaving a huge gap for Melbourne to score in?

Well the ref didn't blow time for the game and the Storm scored yes the siren went but did the ref blow time nope because the score reflects the end result.

All in all it is a hude blunder the NRL admits it but doesn't change the fact the Dragons won't get the 2 points they needed.

If this determines anything at the end of the year alot of people are going to have to answer for it.

BennyV

Referee
God there are some real assclowns in here..."should have made one more tackle" "Dragons should have shut the play down"...THANKS GUYS, your understanding of the intricacies of Rugby League defence tactics would astonish the games greatest thinkers!

It's a really simple concept. Dragons SHOULDN'T HAVE HAD TO MAKE THE EXTRA TACKLE. Regardless of all the back and forth dodgey calls and rf interpretations, regardless of storm coming back from 14 points down, the Dragons had done enough to win the game when the siren sounded and the ball wasn't in play. Game over, 2 points to Dragons.

However, Melbourne played the ball and continued the game. The fact that they were awarded the game despite not being winners at the conclusion of play is a travesty and a blight on the NRL. Powers that be should be ashamed and do what they can to rectify this, and any true lover of Rugby League should be able to look past any distaste for St George and see what is fair.

The Refs eered error was made has been admited hopefully it won't happen again the game will move on and still be laughed at by the AFL and Union.