What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest IMG proposals for Super League

Wb1234

Immortal
It’s like you all still dont understand what the grading system is and why it’s a necessary evil at this time.
Imagine in 98 the nrl used the same criteria ?

Storm would never have been admitted

Indeed all the Sydney clubs would’ve stayed as stand alone and clubs like Canberra Perth would’ve been killed off

The criteria is rigged against expansion clubs

Perth Red

Post Whore
Imagine in 98 the nrl used the same criteria ?

Storm would never have been admitted

Indeed all the Sydney clubs would’ve stayed as stand alone and clubs like Canberra Perth would’ve been killed off

The criteria is rigged against expansion clubs
There is no second and third division in australia so the Storm and other points youre making makes no sense what so ever.

There is a clear system to become a SL club. At least they have that, NRL it’s at the whim of if they decide to expand or not.
Clubs like wests and sharks can bounce along as basket cases for years with no requirements or pressure to improve Whilst arguably more valuable locations like Perth and Brisbane had to wait decades for an opportunity.

Is it perfect? Not yet.
is it better than Promotion and regulation? Absolutely
is it better than Straight fixed term licensing? Arguably yes

The Daddy3

Juniors
So.....all but three SL clubs are grade A and all but three Championship clubs are grade B? Is this how uk rugby league is going to continue for the next few years?
Uk rl...It really is done

Perth Red

Post Whore
So.....all but three SL clubs are grade A and all but three Championship clubs are grade B? Is this how uk rugby league is going to continue for the next few years?
Uk rl...It really is done
That’s up to the clubs, keep building revenue, fanbase and facilities and they won’t be a B they’ll be an A and in SL. What’ll be interesting is when more than 12 get to A grade!

yakstorm

First Grade
I'll be honest, I'm not happy with all those who made it and who missed out, though I will say this, the IMG scoring has achieved what it intended to do, and that was to getting a lot of clubs to invest in more than just avoiding relegation.

Leigh, Castleford, Hull KR, Wakefield, London, among others, have made significant improvements off the field and it's been reflected in their scores for this year versus last. This is exactly the point of the gradings concept, and whilst I question some of the scoring (ie. I don't understand how Catalan's went backwards & how Toulouse didn't go up by more) these things are never going to be perfect.

What I hope happens for next year is that the scoring requirements are continued to be tweaked. IMO the likes of Leigh and Castleford are not in the same ball park as your Wigan or Leeds and whilst IMG shouldn't make drastic changes, it should keep pushing clubs to improve year on year.

Pippen94

First Grade
I'll be honest, I'm not happy with all those who made it and who missed out, though I will say this, the IMG scoring has achieved what it intended to do, and that was to getting a lot of clubs to invest in more than just avoiding relegation.

Leigh, Castleford, Hull KR, Wakefield, London, among others, have made significant improvements off the field and it's been reflected in their scores for this year versus last. This is exactly the point of the gradings concept, and whilst I question some of the scoring (ie. I don't understand how Catalan's went backwards & how Toulouse didn't go up by more) these things are never going to be perfect.

What I hope happens for next year is that the scoring requirements are continued to be tweaked. IMO the likes of Leigh and Castleford are not in the same ball park as your Wigan or Leeds and whilst IMG shouldn't make drastic changes, it should keep pushing clubs to improve year on year.

M62 clubs want french teams gone. IMG will probably factor travel costs into grading next year if they don't already. Sl is getting smaller.

Northern

Juniors
Well, the worst kept secret is now officially out. Loads of opinions but I do feel for London & Toulouse and in time my gut feeling is that this will hamper the development of SuperLeague. If they could eventually get to a 14 team league it may be too late for these clubs and the sport will retreat to the M62 corridor. Personally, I think that’s a shame but we’re kind of used to setbacks over here. I know that would be at expense of Bradford who now look a mile away from SL. The dilapidated and outdated Odsal has cost the club, city and League dearly in the rankings. I know I’m biased but the Bulls in superleague just has to be a better option than some of the teams in there, but good luck to them. They’ve scored the points and everyone knew the criteria. I suppose the question for teams from B graded clubs outside superleague is where do we go from here? Time will tell…

The Daddy3

Juniors

We need to be pragmatic about this. Is any of this increasing the value of tv deals?

Is it attracting more diverse audiences geographically or numerically?

RedVee

First Grade
So Hull FC is the final team in SL?

If they have another bad year the performance factor of the grading could lead to relegation next year if a club below has an improved grading score?