What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell. Bring in the IZZ. Vindicated & free to sign anywhere.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Previous men of steel include adrian vowles and that reserve grader from moanly
Yeah thats because all the decent Poms are playing over here. Geez those battlers on 40k must be wrapped knowing $onny Bill is on 50 times their salary. Guess it makes the difference between getting 4k and 8k through the gates though.

I know all of that.

I am responding to your ridiculous statement that soon nobody will want to play in the NRL.
I didnt say that. I said the best will want to play in the Super league, where you get paid more, travel to more countries, get watched by more on Television in a competion where the teams owners are all billionaires. Cronulla may well finish 10th & still be able to beat 90% of the teams in SL.
but if the crew in charge of the game dont stop making bad decisions , pander to womens groups minorities etc, it will become a 2nd tier comp to SL.

sharkman73

Juniors
I didnt say that. I said the best will want to play in the Super league, where you get paid more, travel to more countries, get watched by more on Television in a competion where the teams owners are all billionaires. Cronulla may well finish 10th & still be able to beat 90% of the teams in SL.
but if the crew in charge of the game dont stop making bad decisions , pander to womens groups minorities etc, it will become a 2nd tier comp to SL.

Get watched by more on TV? They average ~120k per game, the NRL is 450k per game.

Average SL crowd is ~9k, NRL is ~15k

We have half the population of them.

You may well get the odd player going there for big coin but it will never be the norm.

The NRL is miles ahead of the SL in standard and I can't see that changing, ever. Will always be the top tier comp.

Once again good points , Only argument would be saying "pandering to womens groups minorities etc" (you forgot the comma there but I worked out what you meant) Women are half the population Given our population base and womens impact ,as players ,fans, mums ,support networks etc , cant afford to ignore them if we seriously want to remain a viable part of sport in general or even rugby league.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Like we could afford him.

Well you can rule out Australian union teams and being picked for the Wallabies

I understand his wife is a netballer. So places like France and Japan or Toronto probably not on the table.

I wonder if England is an option, NZ, RSA.

He may want to get a league contract to dare them to deny it.

He will not come cheap to his next employer.
So the wife had retired.

Turns out he is toxic in the Southern hemishpere.

But the French who could not afford Dugan, picked up a desperate man. French people probably have never heard of him.

SBW is a wanted commodity for any league or union team.

Israel was desperate, bet they got him cheap, toxic to any corporation.

This is one of your best.

Most Super League teams are run on the smell of an oily rag, at a loss. The few clubs that have billionaire owners do so because most of them have gone broke and have needed to be bailed out with a local benefactor the only way out. London Broncos are owned by a billionaire and they have no fans, no players, no home ground and just got relegated. The management of ESL make the NRL look like the Apple and Google management teams combined; they couldn't even give their TV rights and competition sponsorship away a couple of years ago- quite literally a trucking company was the main sponsor of Super League for a few years for Contra. That is; they provided free trucking services to the clubs and got their name on the trophy.

I like whats happening over there but to see them as a threat is laughable.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
In the end an outside back, a good one.

I prefer Dugan in 2020.

Izzy will take the French to the title.

Last edited:
This is one of your best.

Most Super League teams are run on the smell of an oily rag, at a loss. The few clubs that have billionaire owners do so because most of them have gone broke and have needed to be bailed out with a local benefactor the only way out. London Broncos are owned by a billionaire and they have no fans, no players, no home ground and just got relegated. The management of ESL make the NRL look like the Apple and Google management teams combined; they couldn't even give their TV rights and competition sponsorship away a couple of years ago- quite literally a trucking company was the main sponsor of Super League for a few years for Contra. That is; they provided free trucking services to the clubs and got their name on the trophy.

I like whats happening over there but to see them as a threat is laughable.

New York coming in is a game changer. SBW & Folaus are game changers. The money, will keep coming. Sky sports needs content & it ticks all the boxes.
"People will always buy film." Kodak.

Quicksilver

Bench
People buying film is kind of like a Rugby team buying SBW or Izzy.

Old stuff with a limited utility going forward.

The English Super League Salary cap is less than HALF the NRL salary cap.

There is an exception for ONE marquee player per club.

There is a reason the NRL does not lose players in the prime of their career to the ESL.
Why doesnt anybody just read the rules ?
2 marquee players at any amount of money. egIF I SIGN SBW AT $5 BILLION PER SEASON he is only valued at $150k in the cap.

The key dispensations are:

- Marquee Player – Each Super League and Championship Club is permitted to have two Marquee Players whose Salary Cap Value is limited to £150,000 (or £75,000 if Club Trained).

- Club Trained Dispensation – Each Super League Club is given up to £100,000 of dispensation for producing Super League standard players.

- Player Welfare Dispensation – Each Super League Club that achieves the player welfare target is given a £15,000 dispensation.

- New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year.

- Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year.

- International Bonuses – Bonuses paid for international representation are excluded up to specified maximums.

- Educational Fees paid directly by Clubs are excluded.

- Prize Money – Payments made out of prize money are excluded.