What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell is not a fullback

juro

Bench
Hard to say, they might get called a "larrikin" or a "top bloke"

Heighington was a young guy with less than 50 games under his belt, having just won the grand final. That may have been the first time he had ever been interviewed live on TV. He immediately realised he had said the wrong thing and was sorry.

What's Latrell's excuse, other than he doesn't care?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Lattrell being out of shape, lazy and in poor form doesn't change anything related to this issue.
You could have fooled me all i keep hearing in the media and the commentary how fit Latrell is looking though.

I think Latrell gets a pretty fair run in the media when it comes to on-field performances. Because most panelists are too scared to pick on him for his flaws.

In terms of this issue well one thing most people won't cop in this world is any person thinking there above the game.

Doesn't matter what colour skin they have or not because it would be the same reaction if it was Cameron Smith, Billy Slater or a loose unit in Victor Radley after a game and they said that.

Fangs

Coach
He's never spoken like that before on camera. Not once.

I can't help but think it was a direct response to the NRL, the media, and social media telling him to shut up for days, for simply defending a fellow indigenous man that was racially vilified.

There was definitely a deliberateness in his actions.

Thats it.

He is under a lot of pressure and just spent a week arguing with bozos about racism in Australia. It no doubt affected his performance on the weekend and his final FU was that interview. It was out of character.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Thats it.

He is under a lot of pressure and just spent a week arguing with bozos about racism in Australia. It no doubt affected his performance on the weekend and his final FU was that interview. It was out of character.
No one is condoning racism.

But Latrell chose to bring himself into something that had nothing to do with him. It was to do with the Broncos and Roosters.

Was he on the field when the words were said no.

He literally brought the extra pressure onto himself for no reason.

Even dragging himself in a slagging match with Anthony Mundine ffs.

Get off social media and focus on your own game.

Nicho Hynes came out and said some things in support of Ezra Mam and condoning racism but didn't say anything inflammatory to a situation like trying to pressure and undermine the judicial process.

Nicho Hynes came out and said some things in support of Ezra Mam and condoning racism but didn't say anything inflammatory to a situation like trying to pressure and undermine the judicial process.

I thought Hynes spoke really well. Measured, articulate and respectful of all parties involved, including the process itself. When he talks about this sort of stuff, people listen. There's a lesson there somewhere for Latrell.

Fangs

Coach

But Latrell chose to bring himself into something that had nothing to do with him. It was to do with the Broncos and Roosters.

That is his prerogative. He did chose to bring himself into it. And he is also mature enough to know how a lot of people would react. I don't think he would be surprised by the fall out.

I'd be advising him the same. But I don't think he is the type to take advice. He may well be taking some time off football soon.

yobbo84

First Grade

Latrell Mitchell:
"And some"

Nicho Hynes:
“Even if it wasn’t Spencer, if it was someone else – I’m not just trying to put it all on Spencer – I feel like there needs to be a line in the sand and this will be the moment that it happens. It has to happen.

“Any person in the game, if they get racially vilified by a spectator, they’d want to go hard at them, so I feel like this all just has to happen to the player.”

Nicho literally said the NRL needs to draw "a line in the sand" and "go hard" at any player racially vilified, just as they would a spectator.

Latrell wrote two words on Instagram in response to Andrew Voss calling for harsh punishment.

Iamback

Coach
Latrell Mitchell:
"And some"

Nicho Hynes:
“Even if it wasn’t Spencer, if it was someone else – I’m not just trying to put it all on Spencer – I feel like there needs to be a line in the sand and this will be the moment that it happens. It has to happen.

“Any person in the game, if they get racially vilified by a spectator, they’d want to go hard at them, so I feel like this all just has to happen to the player.”

Nicho literally said the NRL needs to draw "a line in the sand" and "go hard" at any player racially vilified, just as they would a spectator.

Latrell wrote two words on Instagram in response to Andrew Voss calling for harsh punishment.

Nicho's was alot of IF and he didn't even accuse Leinu straight up, Nor did he say what a punishment should be

Vastly different then the response from Latrell

Bazal

Post Whore
Nicho's was alot of IF and he didn't even accuse Leinu straight up, Nor did he say what a punishment should be

Vastly different then the response from Latrell

I'm not sure that's strictly true but what would be different is that Hynes is speaking about the NRL taking a stand on the issue, but yeah he also speaks to the hypothetical rather than the circumstance.

That said I don't think Latrell has been majorly out of line either. Two words shouldn't be influencing anyone reasonable

Iamback

Coach
I'm not sure that's strictly true but what would be different is that Hynes is speaking about the NRL taking a stand on the issue, but yeah he also speaks to the hypothetical rather than the circumstance.

That said I don't think Latrell has been majorly out of line either. Two words shouldn't be influencing anyone reasonable

The and some comments into calling out PVL and Abdo when he gave an airport interview

Goes into NRLPA, Leinu's manager and media being warned to follow the process

Attachments

• IMG_2583.png
    IMG_2583.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Bazal

Post Whore
The and some comments into calling out PVL and Abdo when he gave an airport interview

Goes into NRLPA, Leinu's manager and media being warned to follow the process

I think you'll find Abdo or the NRL or whoever would need to be super careful with any claims of attempting to influence the judiciary. Not least of all because it implies the judiciary is susceptible to outside influence.

In this case, the media printed reports about the rumoured length of suspension. These reports weren't specific, so they are literally reported rumours. Latrell responded with two words, giving his opinion on the rumour.

The image quoted here is basically the same as what Nicho Hynes said and deals with the issue broadly, not the specific player.

Now, if the NRL for some reason was on the business of issuing proposed sanctions for this kind of thing prior to the hearing and Latrell had responded directly to that there might be a small link, but again, what is attempted influence? It's not a two word statement...

None of this prevents Latrell from being a f**kwit on the whole.

Valheru

Coach
I think you'll find Abdo or the NRL or whoever would need to be super careful with any claims of attempting to influence the judiciary. Not least of all because it implies the judiciary is susceptible to outside influence.

In this case, the media printed reports about the rumoured length of suspension. These reports weren't specific, so they are literally reported rumours. Latrell responded with two words, giving his opinion on the rumour.

The image quoted here is basically the same as what Nicho Hynes said and deals with the issue broadly, not the specific player.

Now, if the NRL for some reason was on the business of issuing proposed sanctions for this kind of thing prior to the hearing and Latrell had responded directly to that there might be a small link, but again, what is attempted influence? It's not a two word statement...

None of this prevents Latrell from being a f**kwit on the whole.
The NRL have said opinions cannot be given in relation to punishments on matters still before the judiciary. Whether there is an attempt to influence is irrelevant, you just cannot put an opinion forward.

That's the NRL's rules as PVL said last week, they just aren't enforcing them.

Bazal

Post Whore
The NRL have said opinions cannot be given in relation to punishments on matters still before the judiciary. Whether there is an attempt to influence is irrelevant, you just cannot put an opinion forward.

That's the NRL's rules as PVL said last week, they just aren't enforcing them.

Well what PVL said is that people shouldn't comment on specific cases. Not that they cannot.

What the NRL code of conduct actually states is "No club or person bound by this code shall comment adversely on, or with respect to… any matter which has been, is, or is likely to be, the subject of a proceeding before the ARLC, the NRL judiciary, the match review committee"

You'd have a shit of time time proving two words in response to a media report was an adverse comment in respect of the matter. Which is if assume why nothing was done.

Again, it doesn't mean Latrell isn't a f**kwit.

Reactions: Vee