What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League in the USA

goeagles

Juniors
You only have one thing to say - and you say it over and over. 'Union is a powerhouse of sport in America, League is less than nothing and never will amount to anything, blah, blah, blah'
How is that serious discussion.

When have I ever said that? You are simply making things up.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
goeagles said:
Much of the AMNRL is rugby union players trying to stay fit in the offseason. If the AMNRL tried to run during the winter, it would cease to exist.

goeagles said:
Any talented athletes playing league are wasted and should try a real sport like Union. I may be drunk but at least I can etll the truth. Goodbye.

goeagles said:
Indeed it was a development game. Perhaps some of these players will make the step up from international league to first division American rugby.

goeagles said:
And yet the Australian RL team could barely beat a bunch of 2nd division American rugby players who play RL in the rugby offseason in a game of RL. :lol:

goeagles said:
Almost all of the Canadian team is Canadian born and raised. Canada has 55,000 registered rugby players. Canada has 0 registered league players.

goeagles said:
It depends what you mean by struggling. If 11 teams and no youth means struggling, then league is struggling here.

goeagles said:
Where did I say that? It's clear the league is bigger than union in NSW and QLD, although it is also clear that rugby in Australia is much closer to being at league's level than league is in the US.

goeagles said:
You are really a bitter, sad person, the type that would rather see rugby fail and league fail rather than see rugby be a huge success and see league be a moderate success. Pathetic.

goeagles said:
The touch we played to warm up before practice was 5 touches, no kicking.

Hmmmm, thats just from this site only, imagine if I could be bothered getting all the posts from planet punt monkey?

goeagles

Juniors
Feel free to relate those quotes to the following:

'Union is a powerhouse of sport in America, League is less than nothing and never will amount to anything, blah, blah, blah'

roopy

Referee
goeagles said:
Yes, I have. What about him?
To spell it out;
He tried to turn back the tide with his words.
You do your best to deny the tide of league.

You are the one attempting to close your eyes to reality.

goeagles said:
Yes, I have. What about him?

Mate, you're a deadset goose and not wanted here.

As has been made clear, people don't mind discussion, but attempting to hijack every thread into some sort of union/league slinging match is not on, and it's why everyone hates Woods99.

so either pull your head in, or piss off. The choice is yours.

goeagles

Juniors
To spell it out;
He tried to turn back the tide with his words.
You do your best to deny the tide of league.

You are the one attempting to close your eyes to reality.

:lol::lol:

That is a myth, much like the myths you try to spread here. King Canute was showing the others that he couldn't turn the tide and that they should stop praising him so much. Way to screw up that analogy!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
So if you're here in the capacity of a person who "enjoys" rugby league, what are your positive contributions to discussion ?

If League isn't at big as it wants to be, what steps should it take ?

Can you think of any ?

Do you want any of them to occur ?

Do you want RL to grow in the US ?

goeagles

Juniors
If League isn't at big as it wants to be, what steps should it take ?

Grow from the grassroots. Don't try to leech off of other sports but start programs in schools, colleges, etc. It sounds like Jacksonville has done a pretty good job.

Do you want any of them to occur ?

Why not?

Do you want RL to grow in the US ?

Not at the expense of rugby union but if the two can coexist peacefully (and there is no reason they shouldn't, despite what you may want), then definitely. However, I don't want to see a situation where rugby union and rugby league are fighting each other and neither grows as a result.

What are your thoughts on rugby union in the US, Kurt?

goeagles said:

Why would anyone expect to be asked that question in this forum dopey? Do you need to have your head held over the title of the forum?

Go to PR or the Union forum here and ask it you nong.

Woods99

Juniors
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
Why would anyone expect to be asked that question in this forum dopey? Do you need to have your head held over the title of the forum?

Go to PR or the Union forum here and ask it you nong.

Surely it is worth asking the question? After all, rugby union is roughly 100 times the size of league in the US.

There might be lessons to be learned from its success.

I understand that quite a few rugby union types played for the Tomahawks against the Not-North-Melbourne Kangaroos in the game that was going to galvanise the American people.

True or false?

Woods99 said:
Surely it is worth asking the question? After all, rugby union is roughly 100 times the size of league in the US.

Roughly. LOL

How competitive is this "roughly 100 times bigger than Rugby League" sport at any decent level?

Be honest, it isn't.

goeagle's sister said:
There might be lessons to be learned from its success.

Yeah, 100 years, a National team that isn't competitive and crowds that would make the APC look like AFL.

How many professional players does this major US sport have in the USA?

0?

1?

All League can learn from Union is how to become a pastime for people to get fitter than they would be if tenpin bowling was their sport.

If Union was a serious sport in America, the Americans would dominate Union at all levels worldwide.

goeagle's older said:
I understand that quite a few rugby union types played for the Tomahawks against the Not-North-Melbourne Kangaroos in the game that was going to galvanise the American people.

I'm sure that is a meaningful sentence, to you.

goeagle's older said:
True or false?

Bizarre.

You consider that Union is a big sport in America, good for you. The reality, my idiot friend, is simply that it is not.

And you would do well to heed the warning from Roopy regarding discussing Union in this section/thread.

I for one may not post here too often but I do read it occasionally and the last thing I want to see is you and your little sister waffling on incoherently about a sport that is currently nose-diving in the country both you and I live in.

Take it to TFC. where we can talk about your proud boasting that the Socceroos game outrated SOO.

Except that it didnt..

A good start.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
goeagles said:
Grow from the grassroots. Don't try to leech off of other sports but start programs in schools, colleges, etc. It sounds like Jacksonville has done a pretty good job.

How does it 'leach' off other sports ?

Kids play a variety of sports, every person I know who was raised in Australia has played soccer at one time or another, but we're not 'leaching' off them.

RL can exist as an entity, and offer itself as a past-time.

Your attitude stems out of the fear that RL may be perceived as a more attractive alternative to RU.

Well I do, but I can't see you offer anything other than "RL sucks", and put forward an attitude it doesn't deserve to exist.

Now seeing it's the views of many RU types due to an insecurity of 1895 that they've never recovered from, and you seem to parroting it, it's a logical conclusion to come to.

Not at the expense of rugby union but if the two can coexist peacefully (and there is no reason they shouldn't, despite what you may want), then definitely.

How is it "at the expense".

You keep talking of this attitude that RL has a rightful place of being a smaller, marginalised sub-section of RU.

RL does nothing bu offer itself to individuals in the US as a sport. The fact the grounds are the same size and the skills have a similar grounding means very little.

There aren't many American born RU players who didn't play baseball before RU, does that mean RU is leaching of baseball and expanding at their expense ?

No, it's just an immature view, from an undeveloped mind.

However, I don't want to see a situation where rugby union and rugby league are fighting each other and neither grows as a result.

You want a situation where RL is just smaller than RU, because that's its rightful spot.

You've inherited the insecurity from RU types, no doubts about it.

None what so ever, it's not a concern.

Latest posts