What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League in Vic

NMFC fan said:
Throwing generalisations out there like that doesn't disprove the fact that they are the most supported.

Absolute rubbish.

I've been to QLD, it doesn't compare.

I'd like to see you pull 140k to a horserace, or 300k to a Gran prix.

ffs, you've got only one League team in Brisbane, they should be getting sellouts every game!

You have to be bullsh*tting.

Granted, they are the most popular, but there is still huge support and coverage of other events.

so what are u saying that if these events were on every week in melb they would get the same crowd figures????????

melbourne cup is a joke its more about the fashion than the actual race itself yeh people have a bet but its hardley a great sporting event

NMFC fan

Juniors
joel caine number 1 fan said:
so what are u saying that if these events were on every week in melb they would get the same crowd figures????????

melbourne cup is a joke its more about the fashion than the actual race itself yeh people have a bet but its hardley a great sporting event

Lets not get in to a pissing contest here, but It's undeniable fact that Melbourne pulls larger crowds to sporting events mate.

I'm just trying to give a description to the OP of what our cities like.

ParraEelsNRL said:
It's funny seeing Victoria with the boxing day test, they pack the stadium out for the first day, yet it's lucky to average 25,000 for the next four.

If it's an event, the fumble ballers turn up, if it's not, they don't show.

I put it down to Vics trying to show off to the nation or international viewers and once the spot light is off, so are they.

I reckon it's more the fact that the first game is on a public holiday, and the others aren't. But each to their own.

lotti said:
technically they have 2 in Brisbane, you're forgetting the Titans.

Technically the Titans are from the Gold Coast which is a distinctly different city then Brisbane I'd think.

Shorty

Staff member
NMFC fan said:
To understand Melbourne, you have to understand how much we love sport.

Wether it be the Aus Open, the Grand Prix, Grand Final, Cricket or Melbourne Cup, there are always massive crowds.

I mean we get a public holiday, just to watch a horse race ffs.

Aslong as any successful team or person is representing us, we will back it.

Look no further then Melbourne Victory. 3 year old soccer franchise, and they've been pulling the largest crowds in the A-league by far.

Problem is, we have a very traditional love of sports. Australian Football is huge here, some of the clubs are 150 years old. People follow the game religiously, there is a real tribe mentality between teams.

A key point is that all the AFL clubs here are publicly owned. Everything has to put to the supporters of the club through votes. All positions at the club are elected by the supporters. There are no privately owned clubs.

The facts are that people will not take to a club that is privately owned by News Limited and that has a stupid mascot. Storm and Rugby League have a long way to go here. People know of the Storm, but not many have anything that resembles a passing interest in them. The strongest Rugby League comp in this state isn't even in Melbourne, and the local comp here only has a half dozen teams for the entire city. Until some of these things change, I don't think the Storm will get any more support outside of those core supporters it has now.
Yeah I'm going to have to agree with Joel here,Melbourne obviously don't love sport that much and if they do they love it because it does not clash with your AFL religion down there.
Aus Open is at the start of the year,miles behind anything and Cricket I don't think your numbers are hugely spectacular.
The A-league,yeah good numbers for that also but if you look at all soccer cities they're doing well.

If they really did love sport down there,league would have decent coverage and acceptance.
It's the fact that it's like a crime to follow League down there,it's not like that in Brisbane for the most part...
The Lions have had plenty of support and there is a strong flow of each fan base.

To be honest though,from what I hear from my Melbourne mates it's the coverage that's letting Storm down,how are they expected to gain more people if they can't even watch it at a decent hour?

AuckMel

Bench
NMFC fan said:
How is its location a negative??

The ground is dead set in the middle of Melbourne.

It's a stones throw from the MCG itself. If you can get crowds there, then they get to Olympic park aswell.

And the new stadium isn't going to improve on location. It is going to be almost bang on the spot of the old ground.

Can't agree with your post at all.

Location of the Park is fine, it's the standard of the Park which is the problem.

Olympic Park is a dump. A hole. Filthy, smelly craphole. The fact one of the best sporting teams in the southern hemisphre plays out of it is, an embarrassment to the people of Melbourne.

lotti

Bench
since I've been living down here I've been to the Melbourne Cup, Oaks Day, the Cricket, the Tennis and the NRL, I fail to to see why people love the G so much other than the fact it has a Red Rooster not that big a deal, Rod Laver is a better sporting venue and it's used for something other than sport.

The Business

Juniors
lotti said:
since I've been living down here I've been to the Melbourne Cup, Oaks Day, the Cricket, the Tennis and the NRL, I fail to to see why people love the G so much other than the fact it has a Red Rooster not that big a deal, Rod Laver is a better sporting venue and it's used for something other than sport.
The Telstra Dome is a great venue when packed.

bryant

Juniors
I think its a lost cause.

A few of my workmates are from Melbourne & all I hear them talk about is AFL, in summer & winter, nothing exists except for the occassional cricket & tennis.

And they have kind of talked me into going to Melbourne to watch an AFL match during easter. I'll see how that goes!!:roll:

realredhillboy

Juniors
i live across the road from the storms training ground and in the last 6 months i've seen guys in souths,canberra and manly jerseys. and thats just in brunswick

dimitri

First Grade
bryant said:
I think its a lost cause.

A few of my workmates are from Melbourne & all I hear them talk about is AFL, in summer & winter, nothing exists except for the occassional cricket & tennis.

And they have kind of talked me into going to Melbourne to watch an AFL match during easter. I'll see how that goes!!:roll:

shame on you

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Its AFL city, what do you expect? Channel 9 coverage isn't great but it does alright I suppose. I don't really watch 9 anyway.

The Age, obviously covers more afl stuff then one needs and has the odd mention of rugby league, the herald sun is about the same

I've been here since 2006, and honestly the people I encounter are completely clueless when it comes to league. Maybe its my area I live, or just the ignorance of people...but they are hopeless. I don't know how many people turned up at the Fan Day the other week, but it wasn't particularly huge, but bigish turnout.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
AuckMel said:
Location of the Park is fine, it's the standard of the Park which is the problem.

Olympic Park is a dump. A hole. Filthy, smelly craphole. The fact one of the best sporting teams in the southern hemisphre plays out of it is, an embarrassment to the people of Melbourne.

Yep, don't like OP one bit. Very disappointing ground when I first went in '06. Well the only bit that is good is getting to the away's team's players after the game.

lotti

Bench
byrne_rovelli_fan82 said:
Its AFL city, what do you expect? Channel 9 coverage isn't great but it does alright I suppose. I don't really watch 9 anyway.

The Age, obviously covers more afl stuff then one needs and has the odd mention of rugby league, the herald sun is about the same

I've been here since 2006, and honestly the people I encounter are completely clueless when it comes to league. Maybe its my area I live, or just the ignorance of people...but they are hopeless. I don't know how many people turned up at the Fan Day the other week, but it wasn't particularly huge, but bigish turnout.
if you call games being shown at midnight if at all alright.

Hoggy

Bench
joel caine number 1 fan said:
Melbourne hate sports man qld love it more just look at there crowds

the only sport melb has any interrest in is afl and cricket ive lived here for 5 years and thats all i ever hear about

The bolded bit is as dumb a statement on these forums, ever.

Ever seen a cricket crowd at the Gabba? It looks full, but it's the colour of the seats.

The only sport Qld has over Vic right now would be rugby league. If Victoria got a Super 14 team right now, it would get bigger crowds (they got 14,000 to Suncorp the other night - the Vic market would smash that easily)

Delboy

First Grade
I think you have to look at something fairly obvious.

A lot of Victorians have moved to Sydney and particularly Brisbane, who was the last person any of us know who moved to Melbourne and actually stayed there. That is the main reason, and some strong leadership and aggressive marketing helps.