What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Movie

Matua

Bench
In order:

Wake In Fright
The Day of the Jackal (1973)
Goodfellas
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
The Godfather
Glengarry Glen Ross
Citizen Kane
Donny Brasco
Barfly
Jaws
The Irishman
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
The Big Short
The Railwayman
The Deer Hunter
The Wolf of Wall Street
Wall Street
Cloud Atlas
City Lights
I Am A Fugitive from a Chain Gang
Best Days of Our Lives
Days of Wine and Roses
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Godfather, Goodfellas would make my top 10. The Big Short, Citizen Cane and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood bubbling under ... with Once likely to rise on repeat viewings.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I watched Once upon a time in Hollywood the other night, while I liked it on first viewing I found I enjoyed it even more second time around. I really loved Rick and cliff as characters. I’d loved to see what happened to them.

My top 30... for what it’s worth.

1 The Gods must be crazy
2 Being John Malkovich
3 Lock stock and two smoking barrels
4 The Blues Brothers
5 Star Wars - the empire strikes back
6 Star Wars - a new hope
7 Star Wars - return of the Jedi
8 The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
9 Braveheart
10 Snatch

11 Coming to America
12 Back to the future
13 Gallipoli
14 The Sting
15 Pulp Fiction
16 Dances with Wolves
17 Planes Trains and Automobiles
18 The Dirty Dozen
19 2001 a space odyssey
20 The Ten Commandments

21 Battleship Potemkin
22 Dirty rotten scoundrels
23 Borat
24 The hunt for Red October
25 Crocodile Dundee
26 Saving Private Ryan
27 Uncle Buck
28 Aliens
29 Samsara
30 The Shawshank redemption

That was honestly my top 30 favourites when originally voting. These were, and are, my favourites. I’d happily watch them again at any time. There might be “greater” movies than any or all of these but there’s none that I’d watch again that aren’t on my list as opposed to those that are on my list.

But gotta say that throughout the evolution of the thread there’s so many other movies I’ve questioned myself about that I should have included. But that’s the beauty of the thread itself.

Last edited:
My top 30... for what it’s worth.

1 The Gods must be crazy
2 Being John Malkovich
3 Lock stock and two smoking barrels
4 The Blues Brothers
5 Star Wars - the empire strikes back
6 Star Wars - a new hope
7 Star Wars - return of the Jedi
8 The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
9 Braveheart
10 Snatch

11 Coming to America
12 Back to the future
13 Gallipoli
14 The Sting
15 Pulp Fiction
16 Dances with Wolves
17 Planes Trains and Automobiles
18 The Dirty Dozen
19 2001 a space odyssey
20 The Ten Commandments

21 Battleship Potemkin
22 Dirty rotten scoundrels
23 Borat
24 The hunt for Red October
25 Crocodile Dundee
26 Saving Private Ryan
27 Uncle Buck
28 Aliens
29 Samsara
30 The Shawshank redemption

That was honestly my top 30 favourites when originally voting. These were, and are, my favourites. I’d happily watch them again at any time. There might be “greater” movies than any or all of these but there’s none that I’d watch again that aren’t on my list as opposed to those that are on my list.

But gotta say that throughout the evolution of the thread there’s so many other movies I’ve questioned myself about that I should have included. But that’s the beauty of the thread itself.

I love The Sting. Great flick.

As a big movie officianado, I have a glass cabinet at home where I display my Top 100 Favourites of all-time, on blu-ray & 4K. I could never number them 1-100, but my top 10 would be...

1. Dark City (1998)
2. Jurassic Park (1993)
3. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
4. Jaws (1975)
5. Aliens (1986)
6. Predator (1987)
7. A League of their Own (1992)
8. Stand By Me (1986)
9. Terminator 2 (1991)
10. Unbreakable (2000)

Outstanding movie. Sports movies are a genre that haven’t really produced many all time greats, unless you’re from the USA (as most are based on American sports). But this is a standout - and while there’s more to it than just sport, it’s the best sports movie of all time in my opinion.

You are not wrong, Sir. I laugh & cry every time I watch it. The crazy thing is, it’s a period film about women’s baseball - on paper, I couldn’t be less interested. That’s how great the movie is, a true credit to the writers (Babaloo Mendel & Lowell Ganz), & the sure hand of director Penny Marshall.

Mendel & Ganz also wrote another favourite of mine, City Slickers. These two movies I grew up watching & enjoying, but only now, with much more life experience, have my eyes been opened to how much more than just a great comedy they are.

You are not wrong, Sir. I laugh & cry every time I watch it. The crazy thing is, it’s a period film about women’s baseball - on paper, I couldn’t be less interested. That’s how great the movie is, a true credit to the writers (Babaloo Mendel & Lowell Ganz), & the sure hand of director Penny Marshall.

Mendel & Ganz also wrote another favourite of mine, City Slickers. These two movies I grew up watching & enjoying, but only now, with much more life experience, have my eyes been opened to how much more than just a great comedy they are.

My favourite scene.... Jimmy Dugan trying to not turn into a mushroom cloud...

Parra

Referee
Outstanding movie. Sports movies are a genre that haven’t really produced many all time greats, unless you’re from the USA (as most are based on American sports). But this is a standout - and while there’s more to it than just sport, it’s the best sports movie of all time in my opinion.

There are some great sports movies

Miracle
Remember the Titans
Friday Night Lights
Rocky
Blind Side
Rush
Grand Prix
The Wrestler
This Sporting Life
Moneyball
Raging Bull
Million Dollar Baby
Caddyshack

Miracle
Remember the Titans
Friday Night Lights
Rocky
Blind Side
Rush
Grand Prix
The Wrestler
This Sporting Life
Moneyball
Raging Bull
Million Dollar Baby
Caddyshack

Just my take, but I wouldn’t class any of them as better than A League of their Own.

Matua

Bench
Just my take, but I wouldn’t class any of them as better than A League of their Own.
Moneyball, Raging Bull, Rocky are all better off the top of my head ... would need to rewatch all the others to make a further judgement. (With the same - Just my take too).

Regarding Friday Night Lights, I remember being disappointed by that film when I saw it at the cinemas but it spawned a straight up classic TV show.

Miracle
Remember the Titans
Friday Night Lights
Rocky
Blind Side
Rush
Grand Prix
The Wrestler
This Sporting Life
Moneyball
Raging Bull
Million Dollar Baby
Caddyshack

Yes mate, some good uns in that list. I’d put Rush and Rocky at the top of that list, although I haven’t seen them all. ALOTO is still my favourite. A movie about Women’s Baseball, who’d have thunk it..

Latest posts