What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

League Unlimited's Favourite Wrestler of All Time

There's a wrestling forum that goes by Pro Wrestling Only where they attempted to decide this. They gathered up all the available footage, all the voters committed to watch as much as they could and they engaged in a lot of long form debates to determine criteria and where everyone should land.

It looked like this.

1: Ric Flair
2: Terry Funk
3: Stan Hansen
4: Mitsuharu Misawa
5: Daniel Bryan
6: Jushin Liger
7: Rey Mysterio Jr.
8: Kenta Kobashi
9: Toshiaki Kawada
10: Jerry Lawler
11: Jumbo Tsuruta
12: Eddie Guerrero
13: Genichiro Tenryu
14: Vader
15: Ricky Steamboat
16: Nick Bockwinkel
17: Bret Hart
18: Randy Savage
19: Arn Anderson
20: Tatsumi Fujinami
21: William Regal
22: Negro Casas
23: Shinya Hashimoto
24: Steve Austin
25: Barry Windham
26: Akira Taue
27: Jun Akiyama
28: Bobby Eaton
29: El Hijo del Santo
30: John Cena
31: Shawn Michaels
32: Dustin Rhodes
33: Ricky Morton
34: Chris Benoit
35: El Dandy
36: Buddy Rose
37: El Satanico
38: Mick Foley
39: AJ Styles
40: Yoshiaki Fujiwara
41: Riki Choshu
42: Ted DiBiase
43: Rick Martel
44: Tully Blanchard
45: Harley Race
46: CM Punk
47: Brock Lesnar
48: Fit Finlay
49: Aja Kong
50: Billy Robinson
51: Andre The Giant
52: Akira Hokuto
53: Dick Murdoch
54: Greg Valentine
55: Curt Hennig
56: Jim Breaks
57: Bill Dundee
58: Owen Hart
59: Samoa Joe
60: Volk Han
61: Bull Nakano
62: Kiyoshi Tamura
63: Giant Baba
64: Sgt. Slaughter
65: Shinjiro Ohtani
66: Keiji Mutoh
67: Jack Brisco
68: Kurt Angle
69: Blue Panther
70: Yuki Ishikawa
71: Dick Togo
72: Brian Pillman
73: Chris Jericho
74: Atlantis
75: Hulk Hogan
76: Hiroshi Hase
77: Rick Rude
78: Dynamite Kid
79: Terry Gordy
80: Tito Santana
81: Yoshihiro Tajiri
82: Steve Williams
83: Roddy Piper
84: The Undertaker
85: Manami Toyota
86: Hiroshi Tanahashi
87: Cesaro
88: Sami Zayn
89: Atsushi Onita
90: Ron Garvin
91: Too Cold Scorpio
92: Dusty Rhodes
93: Bob Backlund
94: Shinsuke Nakamura
95: Sangre Chicana
96: L.A. Park
97: The Destroyer
98: Kerry Von Erich
99: Virus
100: Daisuke Ikeda

john Cena 60 spots above nakamura? God Jesus get off the crack pipe

Eelementary

Post Whore
And how does Kenny Omega not make the list?

Incredible worker, and a legend in Japan.

Cena being above HBK is ridiculous, as well - HBK had numerous 5-star performances.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
john Cena 60 spots above nakamura? God Jesus get off the crack pipe

Nak was notoriously inconsistent and was considered one of the biggest disappointments in NJPW until he went to Mexico. Even then, he was notoriously inconsistent, delivering classics against the right opponents and then just sleep walking through other matches.

Whether it was just because of the position he found himself in, Cena had a far more impressive list of matches to his name.

And how does Kenny Omega not make the list?

The project started in 2014 and concluded in early 2016. At that point Kenny was a midcard talent who had only made a name for himself in DDT.

Kenny is also a very polarising wrestler. Remember this is an older crowd and they were making the same obversations that Cornette only just came up with.

Cents being above HBK is ridiculous, as well - HBK had numerous 5-star performances.

Shawn has always been looked down by that fanbase. That was actually an improvement over their 2006 list where he placed 10 spots lower. With Shawn, I think there's a genuine dislike for the guy, to the point where they found the over the top melodrama a major turn off.

Last edited:
Nak was notoriously inconsistent and was considered one of the biggest disappointments in NJPW until he went to Mexico. Even then, he was notoriously inconsistent, delivering classics against the right opponents and then just sleep walking through other matches.

Whether it was just because of the position he found himself in, Cena had a far more impressive list of matches to his name.

The project started in 2014 and concluded in early 2016. At that point Kenny was a midcard talent who had only made a name for himself in DDT.

Kenny is also a very polarising wrestler. Remember this is an older crowd and they were making the same obversations that Cornette only just came up with.

Shawn has always been looked down by that fanbase. That was actually an improvement over their 2006 list where he placed 10 spots lower. With Shawn, I think there's a genuine dislike for the guy, to the point where they found the over the top melodrama a major turn off.

surely you don’t believe that pete. Cena has persona for days but was always a bog average wrestler at best. Naka is so far ahead of him on ability it isn’t funny

Big Pete

Referee
I've got Nak ahead of Cena on my list, but I could see a case for Cena if I really scrutinised both their careers.

Cena had some great in-ring years, his matches against Umaga and Brock could stand against anyone.

Misanthrope

Staff member
This is far from dead, folks. I'm just busy traveling until the 12th.

I'll leave polling open until then.

Eelementary

Post Whore

It's a shame - I know Michaels was a little polarising, but in terms of ability, he was a ridiculously good worker, who was capable of carrying mediocre talents to great matches.

Plus, he always performed on the big stage.

Valheru

Coach
It really depends on criteria but if you are looking at an all round worker and considering in ring ability, mic skills, charisma, flexibility (the ability to work as both a heel and face), endurance, longevity, box office, match quality etc. the I don't see a way Cena isn't easily top 30 of all time. He was the face of the biggest wrestling company in history for 10 years and was a box office hit all whilst building a severely underrated in ring resume.

On HBK, he certainly is polarising but 31 is too low for me. He is always compared to Bret as they were the faces of the new generation era and I have always thought he was the better worker.

Misanthrope

Staff member
With 125 wrestlers making the cut, I've decided I'll be posting the Top 25 Favourite Wrestlers as voted by the LU family.

Below, you'll find a full list of those who didn't make the cut:

Diamond Dallas Page
Rob Van Dam
Chris Benoit
Goldberg
The Big Show
Samoa Joe
Sami Zayn
Kazuchika Okada
John Cena
Tetsuya Naito
Brock Lesnar
British Bulldog
Minoru Suzuki
Rey Mysterio
Kevin Nash
Booker T
Bray Wyatt
MJF
Bobby Roode
Shane McMahon
Val Venis
Roddy Piper
Owen Hart
Kevin Owens
Ted DiBiase
Road Dogg
Chyna
Christopher Daniels
Jake the Snake
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Mr. McMahon
Scott Steiner
Doink the Clown
The Sandman
Shinsuke Nakamura
Jeff Jarret
Sabu
Keith Lee
Lance Storm
Shane Douglas
PAC
Austin Aries
X-Pac
Awesome Kong
Andre the Giant
Arn Anderson
Dusty Rhodes
Will Ospreay
Paige
William Regal
Charlotte Flair
Rhyno
Brian Cage
Lita
Xavier Woods
Santino Marella
Alexander Hammerstone
Billy Kidman
Shingo Takagi
Big E
Laurel Van Ness
Bully Ray
Goldust
Taz
The Great Muta
Kota Ibushi
Jerry Lawler
Rick Rude
Perry Saturn
Asuka
Adam Cole
Becky Lynch
Roman Reigns
The Miz
Dean Malenko
Gail Kim
Seth Rollins
Tajiri
Ricochet
Sid Vicious
Zack Ryder
Tommy Dreamer
Cesaro
Aleister Black
Bobby Eaton
Perro Aguayo Jr
Tazz
Johnny Gargano
Randy Orton
Velveteen Dream
Wade Barratt
Ethan Page
Mr. Kennedy
The Hurricane
Vader
Marty Scurl
Mike Awesome
Lex Luger
Matt Jackson
Nick Jackson

mackdadday

Juniors
Good ol' Earl Bbooy Eaton. I think DDP was the highest on my list that didnt make it. Rest of my top ten made it it seems.

Valheru

Coach
Some massive names that missed out.

Benoit and Cena chief among them.

Benoit surely was disqualified by most due to the whole murder/suicide thing.

Big Pete

Referee
Rob Van Dam
Goldberg
Samoa Joe
Sami Zayn
Kazuchika Okada
John Cena
Tetsuya Naito
Brock Lesnar
Minoru Suzuki
Rey Mysterio
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Shinsuke Nakamura
PAC
Will Ospreay
Shingo Takagi
Kota Ibushi
Asuka
Adam Cole
Ricochet
Cesaro

Were all on my list.

10 will qualify for the Top 25.

I can see the knock on RVD. Was incredibly over until 2002 when the WWE decided to make him into X-Pac 2.0. When he finally got his opportunity in 2006 it all went away in a puff of smoke. His most memorable stint since has been his mid-life crisis gimmick in Impact.

Goldberg has always been a polarising figure. Outside of the streak, I don't think his character connected as well as it should have. Even when he was the Champion, he was still a side-show act behind Hogan, Nash, Flair and Bischoff.

Joe never really surpassed the run he had in ROH despite showing time and time again just how good he is. Currently he's vying for best promo in the biz.

Everybody knows how good Zayn and PAC are but they're lacking that larger than life qualities a lot of the greats have. For me, they both put NXT on the map and made it the best program the WWE has put together since the SmackDown Six.

Okada, Naito, Ibushi, Tanahashi, Nakamura, Suzuki Takagi, Ospreay are all phenomenal but they work in NJPW and it's a different beast to the WWE.

Like Goldberg, Cena is a polarising figure who represents a lot of qualities WWE fans despise. He's had a lot of memorable lowlights and I think it casts a large shadow over a lot of the quality moments he's had.

Brock represents the part-timer fans have grown to despise and his recent run on top has really soured him the eyes of many. The lack of personality is the only thing I could really mark him down on when comparing him to the all-time wrestlers.

Rey is an incredible performer and it's amazing that he's still capable of banging out quality matches despite wrestling for 30 odd years. The thing with Rey is that he doesn't have a huge presence so it's easy to overlook him when putting a show together.

Asuka/Kana is one of the best performers of the recent era, period. However Joshi is incredibly niche and she's only just started to connect with the mainstream audience.

Cole has been on my radar for 10 years so it seems odd to me, but for most, he's only just become a name in the past six months or so. It's only early days despite him being one of the most well rounded performers in Pro Wrestling.

Ricochet only debuted on Raw at the start of last year, so he's brand new to a large portion of the audience. Again, he's been a name to me for well over a decade at this point and an incredible athlete but I can understand why he missed out.

It's pretty on brand for Cesaro to be overlooked. He's basically made a career out of it in the WWE despite having his moments on TV. I think he's destined to be that mid-card thug character despite having all the tools to be champion.

Last edited:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Some massive names that missed out.

Benoit and Cena chief among them.

Benoit surely was disqualified by most due to the whole murder/suicide thing.

It's favourites, rather than greatest of all time. I'd have had both in my top 25 for overall greatness, but I was never a huge Cena mark.

Latest posts