What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon might have the most promise after this World Cup.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
They were even mentioned/recognised by the united nations a few years ago for the work they were doing in Lebanon and the surrounds. There should still be links here at LU.

But, RL isn't a sport according to some powers even though the UN specifically mentioned it and the work the Lebanese have done.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I hope Lebanon is able to develop some local players for the next WC; Aussie-heritage players arent bad, but a mix would be best....

MAYBE, this will be a stepping stone into some Middle Eastern countries

Evil Homer

Staff member
I hope Lebanon is able to develop some local players for the next WC; Aussie-heritage players arent bad, but a mix would be best....

MAYBE, this will be a stepping stone into some Middle Eastern countries
They have hundreds of local players, they are not up the standard of NSW Cup and NRL players so don't make the squad.

DC_fan

Coach
They already have a local comp and have done for a decade or more, it's sponsored by the Bank of Beirut.

They have played games against Palestinian refugees in the camps, Egypt, the Saudi's iirc and a few other neighbours.

That is great to hear. I wish them the best.

Evil Homer

Staff member
That is great to hear. I wish them the best.
TBH amazed that you weren't aware Lebanon had a domestic RL comp, apart from the fact that nations can't compete in the RLWC without a domestic comp Lebanon would be one of the strongest domestic nations outside of England, Australia, NZ, PNG and France, they run seniors, juniors, students, schools, women's teams, even their WC squad had a guy from the local comp..

DC_fan

Coach
TBH amazed that you weren't aware Lebanon had a domestic RL comp, apart from the fact that nations can't compete in the RLWC without a domestic comp Lebanon would be one of the strongest domestic nations outside of England, Australia, NZ, PNG and France, they run seniors, juniors, students, schools, women's teams, even their WC squad had a guy from the local comp..

That is very good to hear

thorson1987

Coach

Making good strides with the Womens game, with the Junipers playing there 1st ever test match against Italy earlier this year.

They also had a side of Aus based players play a 9's match earlier this year against Cook Islands.

https://culturalpulse.com.au/blog/2017/10/05/lebanon-womens-rugby-league-program/

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
They have hundreds of local players, they are not up the standard of NSW Cup and NRL players so don't make the squad.

This is what i mean. Im sure they have heaps of players, its about getting the most athletic to pick RL and not Soccer, Union or whatever else.

With decent local exposure, in a population of 6mil, surely there are a few who can keep up. Obviously, they might not have the technical skills, but the Aus-heritage players can hand them the ball. Im sure they can figure out how to run forward.

Evil Homer

Staff member
This is what i mean. Im sure they have heaps of players, its about getting the most athletic to pick RL and not Soccer, Union or whatever else.

With decent local exposure, in a population of 6mil, surely there are a few who can keep up. Obviously, they might not have the technical skills, but the Aus-heritage players can hand them the ball. Im sure they can figure out how to run forward.
Nobody in Lebanon plays rugby union lol

King hit

Coach
Lebanon’s positive showing is certainly going to push Freddie’s credentials for the NSW job.

kbw

Bench
Really? I see him turning in a hissy fit and screaming at his team mates (who all play reserve grade and earn 1/1000) of what Mitchell does when a try gets scored against them, only to turn around, drop the ball, then give away a penalty then let in a try. At the time my actual thought was....not much has changed.

<itchell Moses COULD be a good player but he has a serious personality defect that will prevent it.

I certainly agree with you about Mose's attitude prior to the WC.
But I get a different feeling about how he has been during this tournament, esp as I know a couple of the players and also think if he was alienating them the team would not have performed as they did.

On another note Lebanon also has a decent woman's comp running domestically as well