What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lebanon RL

TinghaExpress

Juniors
Just wondering whether some people on here could tell me how Rugby League is going in Lebanon atm. Is it succeeding?? Are they getting massive crowds?? etc. I hope the game grows into one of Lebanon's most popular sports in the next few years because the middle east is one place that soccer doesnt really dominate as much. If Rugby League in the next 20 years or so can make Rugby League the most popular sport in the middle east it would be great for the game.

BatiFan

Juniors
I think you should look into your statement re. soccer not being big in the Middle East. You will find that nations such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Turkey, UAE etc. are indeed very big soccer nations and their teams do very well in international competition.

In relation to the Lebanon RL, I think there has already been a detailed thread already posted a few weeks ago.

TinghaExpress

Juniors
Yeh i probably phrased it wrong but imo in most of europe rugby league will never make inroads except for probably france and russia. Middle East is an area which Rugby League can make huge inroads imo.
Have u got a link to the detailed thread on lebanese RL??

elBandido

Juniors
Does anyone know how big sport in general is in Lebanon?

I was trying to find out and came across this the home stadium of Nejmeh Lebanon's most successful soccer team

Stadium-Grass.jpg

it's hardly Old Trafford and only three years ago they played on sand!:shock:

Copa

Bench
elBandido said:
Does anyone know how big sport in general is in Lebanon?

I was trying to find out and came across this the home stadium of Nejmeh Lebanon's most successful soccer team

Stadium-Grass.jpg

it's hardly Old Trafford and only three years ago they played on sand!:shock:
Nice view. A bit like Graham Park in Gosford... a run down version though.

TinghaExpress

Juniors
Would any1 know whether Rugby League in lebanon is growing?? becoz i noticed in their first game in the med cup 2002 they got quite a large crowd then ever since then their crowds have been much less in each med cup.

Big Bunny

Juniors
TinghaExpress said:
Would any1 know whether Rugby League in lebanon is growing?? becoz i noticed in their first game in the med cup 2002 they got quite a large crowd then ever since then their crowds have been much less in each med cup.

They have 5 clubs, each based at a different uni. Each year (roughly) they add another club, whilst they have also told the Army based club to bugger off because they were a bunch of thugs. There's a 6th club but I'm not sure when or if they will enter the premiership. The standards are rising and support from the commercial sector is better as well, but it's hard for any league to promote their international matches with a small budget which is better spent on domestic development rather than on attracting crowds who get in for free.

Parrasque

Juniors
tripoli_olympic.jpg

Tripoli International Olympic Stadium
This is where Lebanon hosts the Mederteranian Cup.

beirut_municipality.jpg

Beirut Municipality Stadium

Used for League and Soccer

tripoli_municipal.jpg

Tripoli Municipal Stadium

Used for League and Soccer

Lebanon has plenty of 1st Class grounds for Rugby League

Latest posts