What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lee Hookey retires

Godz Illa

Coach
Stunning news. He showed regular glimpses of what he was capable of in his time at Saints. Its a shame he's hanging the boots up so early in his career.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=3326

Lee Hookey retires
17:40 AEDT Tue Dec 7 2004

South Sydney winger Lee Hookey has announced his retirement, saying he has no desire to play any longer.

Hookey, 25, is a South Sydney junior who broke into first grade in 1999 with the Rabbitohs, before playing three seasons at St George Illawarra from 2000 and then returning to Souths for two years.

"I've enjoyed my time playing football but I just don't have the desire to train and play on," Hookey said.

"I've been playing rugby league at the top levels for seven years and it's just wearing me down."

He said he would think about his future in his own time.

"I want to be there for my kids and spend time with them," Hookey said.

"I'm just going to take some time to think about my future and then make a decision on what I'm going to do from there."

Meanwhile, the Rabbitohs have been declared favourites to win their third consecutive wooden spoon in 2005 by betting agency Centrebet.

Souths are at $2.10 to again finish last, ahead of Manly and Wests Tigers at $4.50.

The Bulldogs have been installed as early favourites to successfully defend their premiership at $3.25, ahead of the Roosters at $5.75 and St George Illawarra at $8.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
It is sad to see Lee move on. The only thing that this will do is open the door for a young player like Trpy Boston.

Seano

Juniors
We really do need some experienced players in out backline now. As that article says, its only Hegs and Doogs - the rest are essentially kids (not counting marteene as a first-grader as such)

Mambo

Juniors
No major drama, just means we can open up the purse strings further when July 1 2005 rocks around.

I'll bide my time until then.

Seano

Juniors
yeah while we run stony motherless by 15 points and no good players want to come. Not a good situation.

We were struggling for depth in the backs before, but this just makes the gap even bigger

Wobbygong

First Grade
I'm sure I saw Hookey interviewed on Sports Tonight and he said the culture at Souths sucked and that all he wanted was a little time off with his family and that he didn't intend to retire.

He said he enjoyed the culture at the Dragons much better, because they involved players families more in functions etc, and were more family friendly generally.

Looks like he'll end up in GB in 2005.

Mambo

Juniors
We can do better than Lee and we will. We may come last in 2005 (I doubt it with McRae in charge) but the idea of Shane Richardson bringing in 20 new first graders for 2006 to go with Mad Dog, Hegs, Cusack, Mad Pup, Harrison.... sends shivers down the spine.

Expect Braith Anasta to be the man that starts the landslide of new players for 2006. After speaking to a few NSW Waratahs, they tell me the inside mail is that Anasta has no desire to play Yawnion and is just using it to jack up his price knowing the Bulldogs are going to punt him at the end of 2005. In fact, one of the NSW players I spoke to was on Talkin' Sport not that long ago and said on air he didn't think Anasta would ever wear a Waratah's jersey (I'm sure you've worked out the player by now). It was pure media speculation that Anasta's manager was using to great effect.

Richardson will get him, he's number 1 on the hit list. Brian Carney is another to come on down to the red and green and a few big name forwards are going to join. Word is also rife about an extremely prominent first grade fullback coming for the money in 2006. Perhaps a bit of a family reunion....

For those unaware, Souths have 2.5 million to spend under the cap for the 2006 season. Well done Shane on getting all the current bums to come off contract at the same time. Masterstroke. The sacrifice will be the lean spending spree this year. But it will be worth it. The fun begins July 1 2005.

Take a deep breath Seano, we have almost made it to the promised land mate.

Seano

Juniors
Mambo said:

LOL heard it all before mate.

The influx of "great" players was meant to pay dividents in 2003 but got us squat cept for Harro -> though we didnt have a coach.

Ive said it all along that Braith will be in the 6 in 06 and captain, but hanging onto Harrison is going to be very difficult. If minichello signs (big if) it would be great, but really all the money isnt going to entice these players unless we start winning games and being at the least competitive

Seano

Juniors
Mambo said:

LOL heard it all before mate.

The influx of "great" players was meant to pay dividents in 2003 but got us squat cept for Harro -> though we didnt have a coach.

Ive said it all along that Braith will be in the 6 in 06 and captain, but hanging onto Harrison is going to be very difficult. If minichello signs (big if) it would be great, but really all the money isnt going to entice these players unless we start winning games and being at the least competitive

Mambo

Juniors
C'mon Seano 2003 was a joke. Didn't Tappy buy the 2003 players with Coleman's and Piggins's assistance?

Compare that to Richardson, Pappas, and McRae.

Reason for hope Seano. Harrison should resign according to the inside gossip. Much in the same manner as Williams did, it'll be will he or won't he until he does.

Mambo

Juniors
Hey Seano do you read the Sun Herald?

Rabbitohs signal big-name shopping spree
By James MacSmith
December 26, 2004
The Sun-Herald

South Sydney are prepared to launch a $2.5 million spending spree in the middle of next year.

Almost 80 per cent of their players will be off-contract at the end of 2005 and have been told to perform or face the axe.

The Rabbitohs have been anchored to the NRL cellar since their return to the competition in 2002 and officials, led by chief executive Shane Richardson and new coach Shaun McRae, are determined to lead the club into a new era.

Richardson said Rabbitohs players would be given every opportunity to prove their worth in the first half of next season but if they didn't the club would open the purse strings to tempt some of the NRL's top players.

Some of the game's biggest drawcards are off-contract at the end of next year, including Willie Mason, Craig Gower and Braith Anasta.

"It's the type of position we want to be in," Richardson said.

"It's a positive situation for the club. We're a club that wants to be supportive but accountable.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

"We've got a good bunch of players here and they will be given every opportunity to show what they can do. Their footballing futures will be on the line and that is a big incentive to perform.

"By the middle of next year we should know who has a future here and who doesn't. The players know they need to perform or they will be shown the door."

Richardson was lured to Souths mid-year to help revive the club as he has done at other organisations, most recently with 2003 premiers Penrith.

Richardson said having a majority of players off-contract at the end of the season was a ploy he had used successfully in the past.

"It's something that I did with Cronulla, with Penrith and with Hull," he said.

"It's worked in the past and hopefully it will work here as well.

"The reality of the situation is that we were wooden spooners last year and that's just not good enough.

"We have to look at moving the club forward. We will have nearly $2.5 million to spend next year after the June 30 deadline.

"So if the players who are there aren't doing the job for us we will have to find players who can."

Souths have strengthened their playing stocks for 2005 with the addition of former Roosters Shannon Hegarty and Peter Cusack, and Richardson said the club would be looking to attract some more big names.

"We want the club to be successful and we're willing to make the hard decisions to achieve that.

"Hegarty and Cusack were important signings for us and we would love to add some more big names if need be."

Mason's manager Greg Keenan said:

"It's still early days but when the time is right Willie will certainly be looking at all offers."

Detox

Juniors
Susprsise to see him retire, but all the best to him.

Intresting to see that Souths have made it public they're after Willie Mason, I guess they'll have the money to get him too, intresting times ahead...

Mambo

Juniors
Our problem is getting the first big name to sign. Tapp tried to get Ali Lauiti'iti and failed. Richo went after PJ Marsh and failed.

I think signing Shannon Hegarty is a step in the right direction (played for Queensland and Australia...commands respect) but he's not the kind of player that has that wow factor about him that signing, say, Braith Anasta, Anthony Minichiello or Willie Mason would bring.

Put Hegarty with a fit Adam MacDougall (NSW Australia) and we are starting to become more attractive. My gut tells me the success of our shopping spree will depend much upon the fitness of one Adam MacDougall up to July 1. We need both attacking weapons firing in the back line. They have the solid first team players around them to shine....Joe Williams, Luke MacDougall, Todd Polglase John Sutton, Troy Boston etc.

Adam goes down again and so do South Sydney for another season. If we do end up buying crap again I will cry for a month.

Plaese stay fit Adam. Pretty Please :!:

Detox

Juniors
Souths will be better in 2005, but if they can sign the right players, and keep the right players in 2006 - they'll do even better.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Mambo,

Yes you may have $2.5m freed up under the cap, but having it and actually attracting quality or rep players to the club are two entirely different things. Taking off your cardinal and myrtle glasses for just a second what current rep or potential rep player will want to sign up for a club that has effectively won the most wooden spoons over the last decade? Lat three years ruinning (if you forget the Dogs points deduction for 2002)

I'm not being cruel, just being realistic, at best you will be able to sign the best of the up and comers, but you don't want to keep falling into the trap of signing mercenaries or players at the end of their career looking for that final big pay check.......ring any bells????

You guys really need to improve significantly (near the top eight) before you will attract the best players, if I was a young star like Sonny Bill Williams, and was being paid 250k at the dogs and Souths offered me 300k or even 350k, looking to your future I'd rather stay where I was and I'm sure my manager would concur.

As for the article, mate the paper runs a story like that every year on Souths, Piggins was quoted a year or two back saying they were after real talent not blokes just looking for a fat pay check.

What happened last time you blokes went on a spending spree in 1998, you ended up nearly broke and being punted. Remember all the money spent on Brasher, Rodwell and many others etc etc.

And how will you make it to the verge of the top eight (and therefore attract the big names) I hear you say...............?

With very selective and astute purchases, looking at blokes on the fringe with heaps of potential that might not be able to cement a spot yet:

Guys like:

Sims, Creagh, Poore from Saints, Asotasi, Harris Dogs, Anthony Tupou Roosters, Ty Williams Cowboys etc etc

They're just off the top of my head, but they are out there and won't cost you the earth to snare.

Seano

Juniors
hey Mambo

yeah i missed that article (and this thread for a while incidentally). I think we are prob more a chance of signing Anasta than anyone else, including rugby, but i tend to agree with wobbygong -> we do not have the clout yet to attract the real stars of the game to Souths.

Braith will come because he a Souths boy and he wants to play here, would a Willie Mason or a SBW come? I doubt it. Besides I still have nightmares about Chris Walker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thomo

Juniors
Well looks like he has got sick of his kids. ;-)

He will be back with the Rabbitohs this season.

Seano

Juniors
Its pretty good news, we need another experienced outside back. Now just flog him in training to get him fit. The other boys have a big headstart on him

Booyah

Bench
I saw him at Souths Juniors Gym on Wednesday morning. He didn't look too bad. Maybe needs to shed 1 or 2 k's, nothing dramatic. He was going pretty hard on the Treadmill when I was leaving.