What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legends claim Hayne still not the chosen one

slippery_sucker

Juniors
Legends claim Hayne still not the chosen one

August 23, 2009

122683-stsport-hayne-slater.jpg

Fullback spot ... while Jarryd Hane has the best statistics in the comp past Kangaroos legends think the selectors should stick with incumbent Billy Slater. Source: The Sunday Telegraph

THE statistics below prove Jarryd Hayne is the best player in the game, but it is not enough to convince legends he should take Billy Slater's Test spot.

Despite dragging Parramatta from oblivion and putting them in finals contention with a six-match winning streak, a collection of Test greats believe Hayne must bide his time before unseating Slater.
Sighting loyalty when it comes to selection of the Australian team for the October Four Nations series, Graeme Langlands, Garry Jack and Gary Belcher all nominated Slater as the man to wear the No1 jersey.
While there is no questioning Hayne's mantle as the NRL's form player, the Test legends claim the Parramatta superstar faces an uphill battle to oust Slater.
"Billy Slater still holds the No1 jumper,'' Langlands said. "I'm not taking anything away from Jarryd Hayne, he's going terrific. But if they had to pick the team tomorrow, Slater should get the nod."
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...er/story-e6frexnr-1225765111088#sidebar-start

"There really isn't much between them, but he's been consistently strong all year and he hasn't done anything wrong to lose it.''
After Hayne's performance in the Eels' 26-18 win over the Wests Tigers on Friday night, Fox Sports Stats compiled a comparison profile of four of the biggest names in the game.
Hayne, Wests Tigers ace Benji Marshall, the Broncos' Darren Lockyer and St George Illawarra's Jamie Soward were the men put under the microscope on Friday night - with Hayne emerging as the best player in the game.
Measuring his performance against fellow superstars Marshall, Lockyer and Soward, who all played on Friday night, Hayne delivered a knockout in the stats. His four offloads, 21 runs for 268m, eight tackle busts, two 40/20 kicks and two line breaks overshadowed anything his main rivals were able to produce.
Hayne rounded out his game with two try assists and two line break assists.
The closest to his five-star display was Tigers pivot Marshall, who managed two try assists and three line break assists against the Eels.
Lockyer, backing up from a breathtaking performance in Brisbane's win over Penrith last weekend, was solid for the Broncos.
But Dragons pivot Soward was uncharacteristically quiet compared to the scintillating form that has seen him rated the in-form No6 in the NRL this season.
Jack, who kept Belcher out of the green and gold No1 jumper for five years, rated Hayne as the game's premier fullback.
"Some of the stuff he does, you just shake your head, it's great to watch,'' Jack said. "He probably is the number one fullback in the game at the moment. Consistently, when you look right back through the State of Origin series, his form has been tremendous."
"If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't think Parramatta would be in the hunt forthe finals the way they are. But even though he's the best fullback in the NRL right now, I still think loyalty is hugely important when it comes to the Australian side."
"Billy Slater's the incumbent, so I'd have Jarryd Hayne on the wing with Slater at fullback. He hasn't done anything wrong.''
Former Test coach Ricky Stuart was another Slater supporter, highlighting how Hayne could be used on the wing with similar devastating results at international level to what he has achieved with the Eels this season.
"I'd pick Billy Slater at fullback and have Jarryd Hayne on a wing, but play him as a second roving fullback,'' Stuart said. "Because then I've got two of the best attacking players in the game on the field at the same time."
"You've got to find positions for these people to get the best players into that team. It's a better team if they're on the field at the same time.''
Stuart's former Canberra team-mate Belcher rated Slater ahead of Hayne.
"I'm a big fan of Billy's, I think he's a wonderful player and he has been consistent for a long time,'' Belcher said. "Hayne is putting a good case forward but if it was me, I'd be sticking with the incumbent. Jarryd is a little bit more flexible.''
Not that the man himself is prepared to make any demands on a Test spot.
"Fingers crossed, I'll be in there somewhere,'' Hayne said after his man-of-the-match performance against the Wests Tigers.
"Rep football is such a big part of the game, it's a privilege to play it, so any time you can play for your country is huge.''

Why Hayne is the NRL's No.1 man

132470-why-hayne-is-the-nrl-039-s-no-1-man.jpg

Why Jarryd Hayne is the NLR's No.1 man - the round 24 stats.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...y-to-oust-slater/story-e6frexnr-1225765111088

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Oh dear god, it's not even close. Hayne is playing so much better than Slater right now. A blind person could see that.

Slater also usually manages one brain explosion per game with a stupid pass.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hayne is turning Slater into a porta loo, this season he has been average at best. Saying Slater should be fullback is like saying Hussey shouldn't be dropped from the Aussie cricket team.

Swiftstylez

Bench
Sighting loyalty and not doing anything wrong? What a f**king joke rep selection is if Hayne doesn't get it on form. Where was the loyalty for not doing anything wrong and playing well with Hindmarsh, both for Australia and NSW? What a farce.

On form Hayne is miles ahead of anyone at the moment, including Slater.

MRJUCY

Juniors
Slater does some amazing things but he also makes some amazingly bad errors particularly near his own line.

SCoops

Juniors
Ok call me stupid if this is not correct, however are you not meant to pick the most inform players as of the day the team is picked.

In which case Slater will be orange peeler, Hayne No1.

Whats the point of picking yesterday's players for a current test?

On the other hand. Let them keep playing down JH. Means two things.

1, Keep his asking price down (wishful thinking)
2, Teams will be less worried about him in match games as he is NOT rated against other player.

Plus, he has been playing really well since the SoO, others have been doing it for some years.

If JH keeps this up for next year and beyond, then I see no reason why he won't the best player of the modern era.

Coops

lewiscook

Juniors
Ok call me stupid if this is not correct, however are you not meant to pick the most inform players as of the day the team is picked.

In which case Slater will be orange peeler, Hayne No1.

Whats the point of picking yesterday's players for a current test?

On the other hand. Let them keep playing down JH. Means two things.

1, Keep his asking price down (wishful thinking)
2, Teams will be less worried about him in match games as he is NOT rated against other player.

Plus, he has been playing really well since the SoO, others have been doing it for some years.

If JH keeps this up for next year and beyond, then I see no reason why he won't the best player of the modern era.

Coops

Mate JH thrives under pressure, the more other teams concerntrate him the more he will tear them apart.

Eels Dude

Coach
Not picking Hayne if fit for the quads will be a complete injustice. He'll be picked on the wing regardless. But he should be fullback.

Eelectrica

Referee
Slater cost Melbourne the game today right at the death. Was put into a gap, had 2 players beside, took the tackle, lost the ball, game over, Manly won.
Hayne for Australian FB barring injury.

That is all

IFR33K

Coach
The way Hayne is playing, he shouldnt just be picked at fullback, but he should be the very first player to be picked...then pick the team around him.

caylo

Bench
If Hayne is not picked at fullback then the test selectors have rocks in their heads, they would have to be more stupid then the people that didnt pick hindy for origin.

If Hayne is not picked at fullback then the test selectors have rocks in their heads, they would have to be more stupid then the people that didnt pick hindy for origin.
its more than likely the same people i think bozo is both nsw and aus selector from memory?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Slater who appantley done nothing wrong this season cost Melbourne the game today through his own selfeshness. But he should be the Australian fullback.....

thedux

Juniors
See this is the one major criticism with international rugby league. The selectors know that they have the luxury of being able to pick guys on reputation rather than form when it comes down to specific positions given the strength of the player pool in this country. Aside from the odd anomaly, such as the WC final, they know there's a very good chance we'll win the quad series and they'll look like geniuses.
Hayne is clearly the best player in the game in any position and anyone who thinks otherwise either has their own agenda or knows nothing about the game...and I don't care how many premierships they won 30 years ago!!!