What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lehmann, Kasper dropped for third Test

TheParraboy

Staff member
knights04 said:
Shane Watson's inclusion would have to be the worst since Scott Muller. Shame on you Cricket Australia. [-X

Id say Andrew Symonds being chosen for the first two tests against Sri Lanka in 2004 is the worst. He replaced Katich, when Katich scored a ton and a 50 in the sydney test leading into the SL series. That decision was just plain stupidity :?

I think when Muller was chosen, Australia had a few players out injured,
it was prettty much how McGrath got his go......

knights04

Bench
Symonds is handier with the ball than Katich but still shouldn't have played ahead of Katich despite the conditions. Lehmann is another spinner they could've used but might signal the end for Lehmann and their intentions to blood young players into the side.

Macca

Coach
I like it alot. Shane Watson is a rare talent (bats 3 or 4 for Queensland, bowls at over 140km/h) and should be exploited while we have Gilchrist there to bat at six. If he does do well in Sydney there is no reason he shouldn't stay in the side even when we do only play one spinner.

Lehman on the other hand is probably lucky. If he failed again in Sydney he was gaaawwwwn for sure, now he will probably be recalled for NZ if the Watson thing doesn't come off.

Katich might miss the boat big time here though so I feel for him.

fish eel

Immortal
I think Shane Watson's debut tomorrow is one of the most exciting debuts we've had in a long time.

People bagging his selection just dont understand cricket. Either that or they are judging him on this years one day matches.

Watson is good enough to bat 3 for his state. And he bowls at over 140km per hour.

He is also a genuine allrounder. Without checking, I'm pretty certain his first class batting average is higher than his bowling average - and thats the mark of a quality allrounder.

With our aging side, Shane Watson and Michael Clarke may become two of our most valuable cricketers over the next ten years.

TheParraboy

Staff member
It all because of Adam Gilchrist, the fact he bats as well as any of the top 5.
Giving the selectors some freedom to blood some new guys in :clap:

knights04

Bench
Gilchrist throws his wicket away. Not a quality associated with a good batsman regardless of record.

Macca

Coach
:lol: You having a go at Gilly now? The best batsman/keeper EVER! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So you don't rate Martyn either?

:clap:
Selectors
for Watson, but I am feeling for Kasper, but they want 2 spinners so he has a rest.

Well said fish eel, in fact his First Class batting record is enough to get him picked as a batsmen alone.

Still :lol: @ Stuey Law.

Macca

Coach
Gilly is at number 7 because he keeps all day aswell. It's a tough job keeping alone but add that to being a top order batsman and problems will arise. If he wasn't a keeper he would probably bat in our top order but while he is keeping he'll stay at 7 (6 with Watson in the side.) BTW, why change it when it works so well?

Look what happened to Alec Stewart when the had him up the order, he suffered.

knights04

Bench
He bats with the tail might hit 50,100 then he has to quickly pad up and keep. He would be better served in the middle order to get a breather.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Watson is a hack. He is the beneficiary of the Australian selectors ghost hunt for a good all-rounder that does not exist in Australia at the moment. He bowls pies and is unproven at international level with the bat.

His selection is similar to that of Cameron White IMO. White is quite possibly the worst first-class spinner in history yet gained selection because of the Aussie selectors blind hope that they would find a replacement for the ageing Warney.

Iafeta

Referee
sullyfan said:
knights04 said:
Shane Watson's inclusion would have to be the worst since Scott Muller. Shame on you Cricket Australia. [-X

Take a look at Watson's first class record. It's hardly shoddy. Scott Muller was a total hack.

If you go by that logic, then what was wrong with Scott Muller? His first class record was not that bad at all. His bowling average is quite favourable to Brett Lee or Colin Miller or Andy Bichel or Brendon Julian.

Iafeta

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
Watson is a hack. He is the beneficiary of the Australian selectors ghost hunt for a good all-rounder that does not exist in Australia at the moment. He bowls pies and is unproven at international level with the bat.

His selection is similar to that of Cameron White IMO. White is quite possibly the worst first-class spinner in history yet gained selection because of the Aussie selectors blind hope that they would find a replacement for the ageing Warney.

I don't know why they need to go on the "ghost hunt". They have the best all-rounder in world cricket in Adam Gilchrist.

choc_soldier

Coach
Schifty said:
Scott Muller- Where is he now? :?

Playing club cricket on the Gold Coast last time I heard (2 or so years ago) - but he may have retired now.

OMG! Lehmann isn't in. I gotta say that it's a good move, but he should be directly replaced by Katich... but in their "wisdom", he wasn't considered.

Watson will be 12th man I think. Yes, it does shorten our batting lineup, but I think Magilla is at unbackable odds to be in the 11.

[furrycat]

Coach
Iafeta said:
Tommy Smith said:

I don't know why they need to go on the "ghost hunt". They have the best all-rounder in world cricket in Adam Gilchrist.

They mean an all-rounder who bowls too...

Timbo

Staff member
Someone made a post earlier re:Cam White. I thought I was the only one who saw how attrocious a spinner he is. I've heard people talking up him and Aaron O'Brien as the future of Australian spin :shock: it's a scary thought.

Just for everyone who's wondering, this is Watsons FC record:

Batting & Fielding 33 57 7 2355 157 47.10 8 11 14 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 519.2 107 1902 67 28.38 6-32 2 1 46.5 3.66

Not too shabby, definitely seen worse.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I like the idea of Gilly at 6 and Watson at 7

The team has 3 genuine quicks and 2 spinners and bats down to No 7

Good balance.