What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lehmann, Kasper dropped for third Test

choc_soldier

Coach
Cheers Mr. Angry.

Perhaps one of my new years resolutions should be read everything before opening my big trap... :lol:

Broncodroid

Juniors
Thanks for the memories Boof, you had a decent test career albeit short and have been one of the best bats in state cricket no question. All good things come to an end ;-)

Hohns and co. have signalled their intention and with only Clarke under the age of 30, bringing in Watson is the correct decision. We are an aging team and we need to blood the future stars and I see Watson excelling at this level...GO THE QUEENSLANDER!!! Jump on the bandwagon now before Paul Kent and the Daily Telegraph do.

Hmm.. Shane Watsons a hack! :lol: Watson has proved himself at first class level though it is early days, his stats back this up as posted a couple posts before. He is talented young cricketer though let's not let that fact get in the way of post ;-) Hell, let's keep carrying the aging Lehmann instead of looking out for what is in the best interests of the team.

His one day record is by no means mind blowing though I am not sure we can fully judged a persons ability with the bat soley on pyjama cricket where alot of great batsmen have lower averages.

Kasper has simply fell victim to the "horses for courses" selection policy though his place in the team is secure for the 2005/06 no question.

Welcome back Stuey! Enough said. I am fan of McGill and he is one of the best spinners in the world in the wrong era.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I like Watson's selection but Katich is unlucky again, but I guess they opted for two spinners and a genuine allrounder. I thought we saw the last of MacGill in the team :x , but thankfully Warne is there this time.

Watson has improved since he came back from his injury and came to Queensland, just gotta get rid of that haircut. :lol:

Iafeta

Referee
[furrycat said:
]
Iafeta said:
Tommy Smith said:
Watson is a hack. He is the beneficiary of the Australian selectors ghost hunt for a good all-rounder that does not exist in Australia at the moment. He bowls pies and is unproven at international level with the bat.

His selection is similar to that of Cameron White IMO. White is quite possibly the worst first-class spinner in history yet gained selection because of the Aussie selectors blind hope that they would find a replacement for the ageing Warney.

I don't know why they need to go on the "ghost hunt". They have the best all-rounder in world cricket in Adam Gilchrist.

They mean an all-rounder who bowls too...

Doesn't need to be though. An all-rounder for mine is one who can gain selection on either skill, Gilchrist can as a keeper or as a stand alone batsman. For mine he's the best all-rounder in world cricket which has meant Australia hasn't needed the so called traditional batting/bowling all rounder to add balance to their side.

wittyfan

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Watson has improved since he came back from his injury and came to Queensland, just gotta get rid of that haircut. :lol:

He does need a trim at the back. :lol:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Doesn't need to be though. An all-rounder for mine is one who can gain selection on either skill, Gilchrist can as a keeper or as a stand alone batsman. For mine he's the best all-rounder in world cricket which has meant Australia hasn't needed the so called traditional batting/bowling all rounder to add balance to their side.

Well said, I agree with you! An all-rounder is someone who COULD be picked in the side for either form. Gilchrist could be picked as a stand alone batsman or as a keeper. He is an allrounder. The best "natural" batting-bowling all-rounders are Kallis and Flintoff! :clap:

Red Bear

Referee
Seeya Boof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good descision although Kasper n Katich can still feel hard done by. On any other wicket kasper n katich would be there for watson n macgill.

Tommy, dont cry over Lehman now ;-)

Cricketer

Juniors
MacGill?? He did f**k all in Sri Lanka - hence why he wasn't picked for India and now he gets a gig here, what a Joke! I feel for Kaspa. MacGill = Shit.

nöyd

Staff member
Twizzle said:
I like the idea of Gilly at 6 and Watson at 7

The team has 3 genuine quicks and 2 spinners and bats down to No 7

Good balance.

Gillespie has scored more runs than some of the top order this summer, and Warney can jag a score out of his arse from time to time...I'd say we bat all the way down to 9 :D

PARRA_FAN

Coach
If that 61 doesnt get him up the order, I dont know what else would.

But I think that's what will happen, which is great he deserves a big cheer when he comes out to bat.

Tommy Smith

Referee
GoTheBears said:
No need to, he'll be back. The selectors know how tough the Ashes will be and someone of Boofs class with his unsurpassed knowledge of the English game and their grounds (as far as Aussies go) will be a must. He'll be there and will average a 100 for the series but wont be able to stop the English juggernaught from sweeping Aus 5 nil.

SirShire

First Grade
Tommy Smith said:
GoTheBears said:
No need to, he'll be back. The selectors know how tough the Ashes will be and someone of Boofs class with his unsurpassed knowledge of the English game and their grounds (as far as Aussies go) will be a must.

That man would be Matthew Elliott.

mightybears

Bench
kasper dead unlucky but 2 spinners at the scg is the go
and without kasper, they need another seamer
no better time than this to give watson a go
lehmann will still be in the mix [unfortunately]

cameron white, i still don't see the 'talent'
scott muller did alright, his efforts, average was fine
and he would have played a lot of cricket had he been 'round in the 80's!
same with matt nicholson and simon cook,they did the job as required
and they didn't do a chris matthews on us!

Macca

Coach
Geez there are some people here that will be eating their words. I love these guys with the big mouths. Just a matter of time.

Tommy Smith said:
GoTheBears said:
No need to, he'll be back. The selectors know how tough the Ashes will be and someone of Boofs class with his unsurpassed knowledge of the English game and their grounds (as far as Aussies go) will be a must. He'll be there and will average a 100 for the series but wont be able to stop the English juggernaught from sweeping Aus 5 nil.

You sober yet Tommy.

Tommy Smith said:
Watson is a hack. He is the beneficiary of the Australian selectors ghost hunt for a good all-rounder that does not exist in Australia at the moment. He bowls pies and is unproven at international level with the bat.

His selection is similar to that of Cameron White IMO. White is quite possibly the worst first-class spinner in history yet gained selection because of the Aussie selectors blind hope that they would find a replacement for the ageing Warney.

His first class stats shit on Flintoff's and Flintoff has an advantage of playing county cricket against some rubbish.

First class

Batting

Flintoff 36
Watson 48

Bowling

Flintoff 34
Watson 28

pogo

Juniors
flintoff is proven at test level.

i agree with an earlier poster re the "ghost hunt" for an all rounder...what is the need.

most definitely kasprowicz should have played in front of watson, the selectors say they dont lightly give away test caps.
in this case i think they have.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
pogo said:
flintoff is proven at test level.

And how will Watson get a chance to prove himself at test level if he doesn't get the same opportunity thta Flintoff did ?

Kasper is not an all rounder, thats why he is not playing. But I suspect you already know that.

They tried Symonds about a year ago and it didn't work, Watson is still only 23 and this is the time to use him if they need to find an all rounder.

I think he will be used during the ashes tour as well if this team structure is required.

Not too many all rounders can bowl at 140+ ks.

Latest posts