What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

L'Equipe article

Big Sam

First Grade
This is the cover of Saturday's L'Equipe magazine, a weekend supplement to the daily sports newspaper:

BJ6fmOzCcAEr-Y2.jpg

I would translate the headline as "The Sordid History. How, during the Occupation, French Rugby League was suppressed by the Vichy government, to the great benefit of Rugby Union".

Could the truth about what took place finally be about to hit the mainstream French sports media? I look forward to reading the article.

BDR

First Grade
Could give a healthy blast of exposure to the French part of the game. I'm only vaguely familiar with how things went down over there but it's good that the truth is coming out.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Keep us up to date miguel, if it has gained broader attention throughout France.

I can imagine some of the XV's getting a bit shirty, knowing them, they're probably firing up the Zyklon B chambers for a L'equipe journalist or two.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Can I suggest people fire a short thank you email to the author

jccollin@lequipe.fr

stating your whereabouts and expressing your delight to know that such an article has been published. I think that would really impress the bloke. Even if you can't read the article.

Knownothing

Juniors
Keep us up to date miguel, if it has gained broader attention throughout France.

I can imagine some of the XV's getting a bit shirty, knowing them, they're probably firing up the Zyklon B chambers for a L'equipe journalist or two.

This post says a lot more about the poster than about anybody else.

Linking the Holocaust with sport is as low as it is possible to go.

Where is our officious moderator, I wonder

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Well it seems to have already raised attention at planet.of-the-apes.com.

As well as here, my actions are queried because I raise comparisons of the actions of certain FFR individuals, to a known product used in killing dissenters.

I'm the one who needs to look at myself ehh?

never mind the party that actually did collaborate with nazi's, did have input in sending at least one former French RL official to a death camp involving Zyklon B as an alleged resistance member or all round commiited a vile act. They did this, they laid in bed with Nazi's for no other reason than to impair RL.

Now, in the same post on the apes thread, I have to forget it because it was 72 years ago.

This just expresses everything wrong with the vile culture of RU.

This isn't about our current standing in France, its about it being a merkin of an act, in which no expression of remorse or sorrow has ever been expressed.

The most common response is that we should forget it because it happened a long time ago.

taipan

Referee
Can I suggest people fire a short thank you email to the author

jccollin@lequipe.fr

stating your whereabouts and expressing your delight to know that such an article has been published. I think that would really impress the bloke. Even if you can't read the article.

If someone has a twitter account send this info off to Steve Mascord does a bit of SMH writing.He is an internationalist.

Love to get a full English translation of the story in l'Equipe ,my French is froggingly forgettable.

RedVee

First Grade
I tweeted it now. I follow Mascord so I'll see if I can forward to him. (I don't tweet much, newbie)

Ed: Done.

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
This post says a lot more about the poster than about anybody else.

Linking the Holocaust with sport is as low as it is possible to go.

Where is our officious moderator, I wonder

Oh I'm sorry, did you want something? I mean, I could leave my phone number here just for you so that if anyone ever says anything you don't like again in this part of the forum, you can just ring me so I can hop right to it and fix whatever it is you need fixing. Sound fair?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
For those that state that all this happened so long ago and it should be forgotten, pay heed to the quote in the article from the president of the FFRXV Albert Ferrasse in 1985 after the president of the FFJXIII (jeu à xiii) declared they would be attempting to reclaim the name "rugby".

"I'll say one thing, and this is a free warning. We won't let this sort of thing slide. We are not going to start again with the same games played 30 or 40 years ago. I don't want a war, but I will tell you, gentlemen, that if we have to wage a war we will, and we will do it properly - and too bad if we have to destroy the Federation Française de Jeu à XIII in the process!"
Now, this is coming from the mouth of the french union president in 1985. The hate that existed during the war was still alive and well in 1985 - and league in France was well and truly in the doldrums by that time.