What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Les Catalans v Warrington in Barcelona

nadera78

Juniors
I got back this evening from a four day trip to Barcelona, and I've got to say it was a great weekend. barca is one of my favourite places anyway,s o when this fixture was announced I made sure I was there. I also took a few mates, mostly RL virgins from London, although two were Aussies.

The game was pretty good, with some nice tries, plenty of off-loads, and some big hits. Michael Monaghan got absolutely cleaned up with a shoulder charge which had the crowd in raptures when it was replayed on the big screen. He got up after a few minutes, only to get smashed again straight away. The crowd was loving it, and the people with me just could not believe that he'd been hit twice like that.

The atmosphere was very good, although it did dip in the last 15 minutes when it was clear Warrington would go on to win. The Dragons aren't playing with any fluency, and I have severe doubts about their coach, but they did at least give it a good go, and were clearly disappointed to lose. There was one song in particular that was joined in by every Catalan (French and Spanish) in the stadium with plenty of flag waving to go along with it.

Unfortunately I missed the Catalonia v Czech Republic game, but the two teams were introduced to the crowd at half time and the tries shown on the big screen. It seemed to go down well with the locals.

Please don't go getting carried away with future prospects of a SL club or anything silly like that, but it was clearly a very successful event. If they do it again next year then I'll deinitely be there.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Thanks to everyone for the media reports and pictures. It sounds like a great success and Les Catalans would be mad not to take another game to Spain next year by the sound of it.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Spainish newspaper

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/20090621/53726901943/noticia/la-fiesta-del-rugby-a-xiii.html

Más de 18.000 aficionados, la mayoría del Rosselló, invadieron ayer el Estadi Lluís Companys

Redacción - 21/06/2009 03:00
Montjuïc se convirtió ayer en la fiesta del rugby. En este caso, a trece, pues los Dragons Catalans de Perpignan ejercieron de anfitriones en el Lluís Companys ante los Warrington Wolves ingleses en partido de la Super League inglesa. La afición respondió y 18.150 aficionados se dieron cita en el recinto olímpico para presenciar el choque. Antes del partido, la selección catalana obtuvo su primera victoria al derrotar a la República Checa por un contundente 52-10.
La Avinguda de l'Estadi estaba abarratoda de autocares que transportaron a una afición entregada y alegre, que no cesó de animar a su equipo en todo momento. Los ingleses eran minoría, unos dos mil, pero se dejaron oír en todo momento. Antes y después del partido convivieron sin problemas en la explanada del Palau donde 'La Bodega', una serie de chiringuitos, congregó a ambos bandos para un tercer tiempo que duró hasta medianoche y en la que no faltó ni la paella ni los 'castellers'. Previamente, los del Rosselló se citaron a mediodía en Las Ramblas. La 'flama del Canigó' fue portada hasta el Lluís Companys a iniciativa de los catalanes, aunque el pebetero no se encendió.
El rugby a trece es mucho más dinámico que el convencional. No hay pérdidas de tiempo, el juego es vehemente sin llegar a la violencia, los choques son directos y en algunos casos más que contundentes. Pero no se pierde tiempo. Un partido jugado por futbolistas no daría para más de dos jugadas en los ochenta minutos. Pero para eso juegan a fútbol y no a rugby.
Cada metro se pelea como si fuese la vida en ello, se juega preferentemente a la mano, los masajistas y auxiliares entran a atender al jugador caído con el partido en marcha; el juego no se para y en alguna ocasión se ha de esquivar a los caídos y al masajista para seguir la jugada. Igualmente, con el juego en marcha, entran asistentes para entregar agua a los jugadores. El taco sobre el que se coloca el balón para patear a palos es transportado a toda velocidad por un coche autodirigido. Es un no parar; se juega cada segundo del partido.
El encuentro se lo llevó los ingleses, que demostraron más oficio que los catalanes. Y eso que los Dragons se fueron al descanso con un 10-6 a favor. Pero acabaron perdiendo por un 12-24 que seguramente fue excesivo. La falta de ideas de los catalanes ante la línea de ensayo inglesa, algunos despistes defensivos y una delantera de los Wolves muy efectiva impidieron que la fiesta catalana fuese ayer completa

Somewhat translated:

More than 18,000 fans, most of Rosselló, yesterday invaded the Estadi Lluis Companys

21/06/2009 03:00​
Editorial - 21/06/2009 03:00

Montjuïc yesterday became the feast of rugby.

In this case, thirteen, as the Catalans Dragons in Perpignan were hosted in the Lluís Companys to Warrington Wolves in England from the English Super League.

The fans responded, and 18,150 fans gathered at the Olympic venue to witness the crash. Before the match, the Catalan selection earned his first victory by defeating the Czech Republic by an overwhelming 52-10.
Avinguda de l'abarratoda Estadi coach who was transported and delivered a joyful hobby that never ceased to encourage his team at all times. The British were a minority, about two thousand, but were left to hear all the time. Before and after the match together smoothly on the esplanade of Palau where 'La Bodega', a series of bars, both sides together for a third time that lasted until midnight and in which no missing or paella or 'castle'. The "flame of Canigó 'was home to Lluís Companys initiative of the Catalans, although pebetero not lit.
The thirteen rugby is much more dynamic than the conventional. No wasted time, the game is passionate without the violence, the impact is direct and in some cases more than compelling. A game played by football players would not give for more than two minutes played in the eighties.
Pero para eso juegan a fútbol y no a rugby.​
But for that to play football and not rugby.
Fighting every inch as if it was life in it, preferably to play the hand massage and care assistants to come down to the player with the game in motion, not for the game and on occasion has to dodge the massagist fallen and continue to play. Similarly, with the game in motion, are attendants to deliver water to the players. The taco that is placed on the ball for kicking sticks is transported by a speeding car self. It is not a stop, is played every second of the match.
The meeting was led by the English, who showed more motion that the Catalans. And what the Dragons went to rest with a 10-6 in favor. But ended up losing by a 12-24 that was surely excessive. The lack of knowledge of Catalan to English-test line, some dry and defensive front of a very effective Wolves prevented the Catalan party yesterday was full

montjuic.jpg

Sam_the_man

First Grade
I hope the destintion was made that the game was rugby league and not rugby union. The more people that know the difference the better. Mind you it is like comparing a model T-Ford and a new Aston Martin with the Aston Martin obviously being league.

Brutus

Referee
Great video footage.

But I thought it was only RU players that could see the world. At least that's what Peter Fitzhardon keeps telling me.