What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let me be the first...

parra pete

Referee
Prodigal Eel said:
We made a little wager at the start of the season, you said timmy wont play more then half a season of football this year; and if he did you had to put a certain comment in ur signature....otherwise i would.

Not getting ahead of myself, although it seems at the moment the only thing that will stop this happening is injury.

See Post 1...

Caylo, I'm looking like I'm a know all who knows nothing...:lol:

I'm not one yet...but looks like I'm on the way. :lol:

noosa-eel

Juniors
What a difference it makes when Tim takes on the line...............:shock: good stuff, and that try saving tackle Nathan made was priceless...:D

caylo

Bench
parra pete said:
See Post 1...

I'm not one yet...but looks like I'm on the way. :lol:

hey im just glad it doesn't look like i will have to run around parramatta stadium naked (if you remember that wager), you have done your part, publicly addmitting your assesment was wrong, well for now anyway. ;-)
This place is much happier when timmy is going well, and Marsh was wrong, timmy is now the second best halfback behind only thurston. :D :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
caylo said:
This place is much happier when timmy is going well, and Marsh was wrong, timmy is now the second best halfback behind only thurston. :D :D

let's get serious for a moment...you don't honestly believe he's the second best in the comp do you??

caylo

Bench
eelavation said:
let's get serious for a moment...you don't honestly believe he's the second best in the comp do you??

NO! i believe he can be, at the moment he is playing well enough to be up there (prince, thurston, cronk, and timmy are playing well). But this is one game, mabey a season of this form and a premiership ring would do a world to his status in the game. He can easly go toe for toe with thurston with skill (even though they are completly different players), but thurston has now done it for 3-4 years, he needs to get that into his game first. If we are talking skill though, without a doubt id have him over cronk, prince, gower, orford, sherwin, mullens and carney. But like you say, potential is just potential until it's realised. He still has more to offer in my opinnion, but is playing well.

caylo

Bench
strider said:
#2 half? oh COME ON .... #1 baby \\\\:D/

;-)

depends, i realy consider thurston a 5-8 playing halfback (mabey they can have a halfback in finch, and we can have a 5-8 in thurston). He is just that good. But if we consider thurston a 5-8 he is #1;-) ;-) ;-)

Stagger eel

Staff member
caylo said:
NO! i believe he can be, at the moment he is playing well enough to be up there (prince, thurston, cronk, and timmy are playing well). But this is one game, mabey a season of this form and a premiership ring would do a world to his status in the game. He can easly go toe for toe with thurston with skill (even though they are completly different players), but thurston has now done it for 3-4 years, he needs to get that into his game first. If we are talking skill though, without a doubt id have him over cronk, prince, gower, orford, sherwin, mullens and carney. But like you say, potential is just potential until it's realised. He still has more to offer in my opinnion, but is playing well.

put potential aside.. and NRL rep side was chosen today and all halfbacks were available there'd be atleast 4 players chosen infront of him.

I rate Thurston, Prince, Orford and Cronk better at the moment.

strider

Post Whore
I think the exercise pete asked us all to do a few months back is very worthwhile in summing up such things (altho also a bit time consuming - i'm a lazy bum :lol:) ... go through our players and rate them 1-16 (or 1-32 in positions that double up like centre, wing, 2nd row, prop) as to where they compare to other NRL players .... while i don't hate timmy, i reckon i'd have him no higher than 8'ish

caylo

Bench
eelavation said:
put potential aside.. and NRL rep side was chosen today and all halfbacks were available there'd be atleast 4 players chosen infront of him.

I rate Thurston, Prince, Orford and Cronk better at the moment.

oh k, i rep side is chosen today, you don't pick on potential for one, you pick on consistancey over a period of time. Obviously timmy would be down the pecking order. I'd say if it was QLD team, They would go (Thurston, Prince, Cronk, then Timmy) and if it was for australia Gower and Orford would also be infront of him. If you think about how much they have all accomplished in their carrers they all have been around for longer (thurston, prince and gower winning a comp), orford been in the NRL for 8 years now, and i wouldn't have cronk that far over timmy, it would almost be even right now. He is up there with quality, and thats why i said, if he performs well, inevidably parramatta will perform well, and he will be noticed. He has the potential to be up there (as i said), is definatly not up there though because of consistancy. Although he out played gower last night beautifully, and im sure there is so much better he can do probably improve 100%

caylo

Bench
strider said:
I think the exercise pete asked us all to do a few months back is very worthwhile in summing up such things (altho also a bit time consuming - i'm a lazy bum :lol:) ... go through our players and rate them 1-16 (or 1-32 in positions that double up like centre, wing, 2nd row, prop) as to where they compare to other NRL players .... while i don't hate timmy, i reckon i'd have him no higher than 8'ish

well those players i mentioned (thurston, orford, gower, prince, cronk) are ahead, so that would leave him 6th, and mabey head and kimmorley can be put there (but i think he is better than both atm) means it would put him 8th, i wouldnt have him any lower (mabey 9th with sherwin but he is in PL?). Even than atm he is playing better than orford (injured) and Gower (just struggling), and prob on par with cronk and prince. He just needs to show in more reguarly (which i think he is starting to do)

Utey

Coach
I found myself saying "take that Pete" every time Tim ran the ball. I know you wanted Tim to prove you wrong and he looks like his turning it around nicely.

parra pete

Referee
<UPtheEELS> said:
I found myself saying "take that Pete" every time Tim ran the ball. I know you wanted Tim to prove you wrong and he looks like his turning it around nicely.

I am flattered that you thought of me.....didn't know I had that much influence..
:lol: :lol:
The kid did have a good game..And as I said glad to see him running the ball. It makes him a better player.

Now, if he can just keep it up week in week out. Mmmmmmm

Pazza

First Grade
even when we play7 like sh*t and lose matches timmy always gets involved adding spark.

Y2Eel

First Grade
parra pete said:
I am flattered that you thought of me.....didn't know I had that much influence..
The kid did have a good game..And as I said glad to see him running the ball. It makes him a better player.

I could hear Timmy yelling take that Pete every time he ran the ball aswell :?

yy_cheng

Coach
Timmy played very well yesterday and I thought he had decent last 2 games.

He actually is quite quick off the mark if he doesn't do that step or prop. The step or prop (which Sterlo also had) slows him right down an he can't re-accelerate so he gets clobbered.

If I was Timmy, I would watch Lockyer videos.

Accelerate across the field with the ball in hand, he sometimes gets it and jogs. He should look at a hole out wide and sprint to it and have runners angling back or straighten up as option. Last week he ran across field and did a 1 hand dummy (ala M Witt) and it had to opposition guessing. Add to that a Mateo/Grothe/B Smith or Hindy/Tahu/Hayne or Burt or Moi straightening up would cause havoc.

I'm an admirer of Tim Smith. What he did in '05 was magic and with confidence and a pack that is going forward, I reckon he will do alot better.

Bring in Green to assist at 5/8th. I am not a Finch fan. Finch wants to play 7. He wants to be the main man. And at 5/8th he is not. I also believe what Gould said was right. He turns the ball inside so he can have more time to think. Smith thinks alot faster. However, he is holding back due to a lack of confidence. Last week, there was a big chance on on the right hand side if he kicked. I thought he held back and took the tackle because it was tackle 3.

This week he just had to dummy and would've scored, instead he threw it out to Hayne and it went into touch.

I was thinking if we should have CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM THREADS on each player, giving them our ARMCHAIR advice. And any person trying to BAG players should be kicked out of the thread. And if the players read the thread, maybe it could help them. Who knows?

Just an aside, I thought Cordoba had a bad game. He was running so much harder last week. This week he didn't get fired up. If he does, he looks good.

Utey

Coach
parra pete said:

I don't think it was just you who had questions about how good Tim really is. Most of my mates don't rate him at all, especially seeing as he seemingly never ran to the line. As I said, his turning it around nicely.

fish eel

Immortal
to say Tim Smith had a mighty game against the Panthers. :clap:, :clap:
He controlled play AND EVEN took on the line in attack....
The drive out of dummy half by both PJ and Blake Green gave the team some impetus, and Luke Burt is getting better with age.
All smiles this week.

I thought I'd bump this thread and in particular this post, because there has been a bit of hysteria about the criticisms of Tim Smith the footballer.

I think Pete and others did this a few times last year.....I think it's important to sit back, take a breath and remember that people who make criticisms of a footballer, often do so because they want what is best for their team, and are not unhappy to be proven wrong if it means the side is winning games.

Latest posts