What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets call for some calm and have a closer look at the game

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This thread sounds like just making excuses for losses. Similar to threads started earlier in the year after we copped thrashings from the Dragons and the Storm.

There's nothing nothing wrong in keeping positive. But I don't agree with making excuses for poor performances. Reasons for losing yes. But not excuses. You could easily do a similar dot point format as to reasons why we should have won.

And by the way your summary completely ignores the opposition we were playing tonight. That is certainly a factor.

Yeah fair enough point taken. But do you really think we played that bad tonight ?

The point I am trying to make is the effort is there we just lack a bit of class to been a really good side.

Also I think over the last 6 wins we have go a lot back then I expect us to go this year especially after the first 8 wins.

And finally the broncos side tonight wasn't as bad as some people have made out

yy_cheng

Coach
This match showed why I have always said Hayne should be 6.

Take out playmaking, which is the job of a half and I reckon Burt played fullback today better Hayne have all year.

The support play was there from Burt which has been missing all this time with Hayne ballplaying.

With Hayne at 6, he would have another option of a support player looming off his shoulder.

Secondly, it is easier for us to replace Hayne at 1 than find a good 6.

yy_cheng

Coach
Besides the usual suspects, I though Etu, Allgood, Webb were all good.

Even Patty O was good. Better than Billy

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I know a lot of people are going to say we were sh*t and we should have won but lets have a closer look at the game.

- The effort was there
- stupid mistakes led to broncos tries. Walker two mistakes for the first try, Mcguire stupid pass for the second and Mcguire miss tackle for the last.
- now before everyone states the broncos side was young and ininexperience, look at the actual sides. While the broncos are young, they have a very classy side, a lot of those players tonight will be long term NRL players. The Broncos have a lot pace compared to our backline. Then have a look at our side;
- We have a back rower playing centre in Smith
- we have a backrower playing 5/8
- we have two reserve graders in Etu and Walker in the backline
- we had a rookie on the bench in Hanlon
- we have McGuire playing halfback who has not played half for many years
- we had a winger plaing fullback
- we had no real play maker tonight, Burt, Reni and McGuire are not the recognised play makers. The Broncos have a SOO halfback and a actual 5/8 playing 5/8.
- then in the last 20 we had another backrower playing centre.
- Also the broncos had a lot of pace across their side, something we are really lacking

So before everyone cuts their wrist, lets consider that while have not been getting the wins we have been close in each game now for about 6 weeks. While this doesn't mean a lot this year, what it does mean we are heading in the right direction. It means in the off season we don't need to totally restructure our playing style, but just add to it.

Tonight clearly showed just how much we rely in Hayne as our play maker, without him we lack a little in attack. Next year we will have a quality half back added to the side and an experience 5/8 which will take a lot of pressure of Hayne and help the eels when hayne is not playing. Plus we a have good young back in Esi to be added to the backline.

So while tonight was dissappointing we need to look at the bigger picture. We are no longer being flogged, each game against the eels is a tough game for the opposition we just lack that bit of class to shut games out. I am confident Sandow on his own will add this class, but there will also be further players added to our playing roster who will also help.

Lets be proud of the boys !!!!

Don't agree with everything you say.

This is an SK stuff up of monumental proportions.
The writing was on the wall weeks ago and last week against the Raiders
should have had the red light alarm sirens screaming real loud all over the place.

We have to start blooding more of our juniors and let go of the old dogs, and few others,
who are no longer up to playing week to week in the NRL or who are leaving the Eels at end of this year.

If it is a rebuilding year why are we not rebuilding with a few more juniors coming through?????

It's in the backs we have to do the major cleaning out real fast.
For starters, good bye to Maguire, Walker, Etu & Atkins.

Now that he is of to the Sharks, we should also let go of Robson.

We have to start blooding younger players to give them and the club the opportunity to see if they can cut it in the NRL and excel.

The forwards are ok, though POH should stay in the 17 for the rest of this year.
He is our future, a very good player.

Drop Lasalo and encourage him to keep developing.

Matthew Keating is getting better every week.

Horo, Smith, Keating, Allgood, POH, Fui, Hindy Reni, Mannah, Webb need to keep playing together in preparation for next year.

Drop Shack

Webb will only get better with more game time - he is a better attacking forward than Shack who really is a workhorse.
We have too many workhorses in the 17. Reni in for Shack & increase Webb's game time each week.

Workhorses, Mannah, Hindy, Smith, Allgood, Keating
Attacking forwards: Fui, Reni, Horo, POH, Webb,

Backs is the issue

Hayne, Burt, & (Loko gone to whenever next year) are the only backs to keep.
For the rest of the season we have to start blooding other players for next year.

Even Luke Burt is coming close to receiving that tap on the soldier BUT with a few better players in the backs he will still be good enough for next year.

The sooner we bring through junior backs all the better.
May it start against the Tigers this coming week.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah fair enough point taken. But do you really think we played that bad tonight ?

The point I am trying to make is the effort is there we just lack a bit of class to been a really good side.

Also I think over the last 6 wins we have go a lot back then I expect us to go this year especially after the first 8 wins.

And finally the broncos side tonight wasn't as bad as some people have made out

Considering the opposition we played, we were extremely disappointing.

Their forward pack is inexperienced and young, playing at home we should have dominated them but they dominated us. We were slow and looked unfit, they were fast and looked enthusiastic.

I think you mean 'weeks' as opposed to 'wins'. The fact that we seem to be playing 'better' over the last six weeks shows how far we are behind the rest of the teams. While they've all settled in and throwing some form together and nabbing some wins... we've settled in and haven't won a game in 6 weeks despite playing well as some call it.

It's clutching at straws if you don't win a game in 6 weeks but still think we should be happy with the situation.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
This match showed why I have always said Hayne should be 6.

Take out playmaking, which is the job of a half and I reckon Burt played fullback today better Hayne have all year.

The support play was there from Burt which has been missing all this time with Hayne ballplaying.

With Hayne at 6, he would have another option of a support player looming off his shoulder.

Secondly, it is easier for us to replace Hayne at 1 than find a good 6.

THIS :thumb

Are you listening SK.... Hayne to 6 for the rest of his career starting against the Tigers.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Does anyone here think Brisbane played good?

Seriously there shouldnt be any excuses tonight.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Considering the opposition we played, we were extremely disappointing.

Their forward pack is inexperienced and young, playing at home we should have dominated them but they dominated us. We were slow and looked unfit, they were fast and looked enthusiastic.

I think you mean 'weeks' as opposed to 'wins'. The fact that we seem to be playing 'better' over the last six weeks shows how far we are behind the rest of the teams. While they've all settled in and throwing some form together and nabbing some wins... we've settled in and haven't won a game in 6 weeks despite playing well as some call it.

It's clutching at straws if you don't win a game in 6 weeks but still think we should be happy with the situation.

Hallatia

Referee
Does anyone here think Brisbane played good?

Seriously there shouldnt be any excuses tonight.
Brisbane's defence was good, they made it look very hard for us to see a way through. I really believe that that's what won it for them. Brisbane have a lot of exciting young talent, they weren't fantastic tonight, but they earned the win and in the end thoroughly deserved it.

Also, I love Alex Glenn:ls:

yy_cheng

Coach
They played a simple game and took advantage of our mistakes.

Their line defense was very good.

yy_cheng

Coach

Are you listening SK.... Hayne to 6 for the rest of his career starting against the Tigers.

TBh, not sure what Robert's fullback experience is like.

I would be tempted to go:

1. Roberts or Burt
2. Burt (if not FB)
3. Loko
4. Tonga
5. ??
6. Hayne
7. Sandow
13. Reni
12. Benny
11. Hindy
10. Fui
9. MK
8. Mannah

14. Poore
15. Horo
16. Allgood
17. Webb - I just think that he and Fui should just consistently interchange

18. Shack

But play a more traditional 7 and 6 rather than one on each side

Wally21

Bench

Not sure I agree with this. we seemed to get out of our end pretty well and seemed like we bent their line more than we normally do. I think it comes down to the simple fact that we have no playmakers and no creativity in attack without Hayne there.

while we are talking about what the side could look like for 2012, I hope it looks something like;

1 Hayne
2 Burt
3 Loko
4 Insert name of any decent centre out there. Left field, but Rob Horne from Rugby would be ideal
5 Esi
6 Roberts ( but not sure about this)
7 Sandow
8 Mannah
9 Keating (but still hoping for one of the rumored signings here)
10 Fui
11 Hindy
12 POH
13 Smith
14 Reni
15 Horo
16 Allgood
17 anyone but Shack

tresurehunt

Juniors
we had enough ball to win by 20 tonight, as sterlo said, we get to the edge of the pool but we dont jump in !

Eels Dude

Coach
Not sure I agree with this. we seemed to get out of our end pretty well and seemed like we bent their line more than we normally do. I think it comes down to the simple fact that we have no playmakers and no creativity in attack without Hayne there.

while we are talking about what the side could look like for 2012, I hope it looks something like;

1 Hayne
2 Burt
3 Loko
4 Insert name of any decent centre out there. Left field, but Rob Horne from Rugby would be ideal
5 Esi
6 Roberts ( but not sure about this)
7 Sandow
8 Mannah
9 Keating (but still hoping for one of the rumored signings here)
10 Fui
11 Hindy
12 POH
13 Smith
14 Reni
15 Horo
16 Allgood
17 anyone but Shack

Shack was one of our best players tonight. He was the one constantly bending the line as you say, but you want to drop him?

Our pack struggled. And the gameplan of long looping passes to the forwards instead of short sharp ones didn't help.

Wally21

Bench
Shack was one of our best players tonight. He was the one constantly bending the line as you say, but you want to drop him?

Our pack struggled. And the gameplan of long looping passes to the forwards instead of short sharp ones didn't help.

Sorry Eels Dude, I didn't think Shack was as good as any of the other 3 front rowers. of course, purely my opinion. I have absolutely no idea how much we are paying him, but I don't think he has been valuable. And if you throw Poore back into the mix, I would start with him and play Fui in the 17 jersey for true impact.

Eels Dude

Coach
Sorry Eels Dude, I didn't think Shack was as good as any of the other 3 front rowers. of course, purely my opinion. I have absolutely no idea how much we are paying him, but I don't think he has been valuable. And if you throw Poore back into the mix, I would start with him and play Fui in the 17 jersey for true impact.

You don't need to say sorry for disagreeing, But Shacks made twice the metres Webb made tonight and nearly as many as Fui. That's what you want out of a prop to make make 100 + metres per game and Shack did that tonight.