What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets call for some calm and have a closer look at the game

I think there will be a few players that won't be offered extensions when thier contract is up it's time for a clean out and change of attitude, SK is heading the right way just he got stuck with this squad and it will take some time to turn it over.

True EEL

Bench
People are saying we are playing well, the effort is there, and it's probably true enough. Over the past 5 weeks with 10 points on offer we have only managed 1 point. We should've done better during this origin phase, now we start doing maths to see if we have a chance to make the finals, not good. Next year we have signed one decent half and another reserve grader with reported off field problems, also not good.

another excellent post.

spartan2153

Juniors
People are saying we are playing well, the effort is there, and it's probably true enough. Over the past 5 weeks with 10 points on offer we have only managed 1 point. We should've done better during this origin phase, now we start doing maths to see if we have a chance to make the finals, not good. Next year we have signed one decent half and another reserve grader with reported off field problems, also not good.

So who is responsible for those signings.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We have problems in the halves at the best of times but losing Robson and not being able to call up Humble or Morts was a big problem and it showed, Reni played well but hasn't played NRL in 2 years and is more suited to lock than 5/8 but he tried his guts out and give him credit for it, Casey also tries his best but at times tried too hard. The Broncos were keener than us and thats the point that shits me, our season was on the line in front of our home crowd and he didn't get up for it. Hindy had a right to pissed at fulltime IMO.

Do you really think the Broncos were keener then us ? We actually made a few linebreaks but just couldn't convert it into points, which reflects the poor play making options we had in the side last night;

- a Winger (who played good) playing fullback, can't expect Burt to have perfect play making skills when doesn't regularly have that responsiblity
- A lock who hasn't played nrl in 2 years playing 5/8
- a half back who is normally a hooker or 5/8.

3 Eels mistakes lead to Bronco tries, 2 being from outside our 20. We also made more then 200 metres then the broncos and had a completion rate around 75%. Our forwards made a lot more metres then the broncos forwards did - the stats don't show that the broncos we keener. But the side line up actually shows the broncos had a natural halfback and 5/8, along with some quality young backs with speed. We were just outclassed and also lacked a play maker.

True EEL

Bench
absolutely 100% the Broncos were keener that Parra......save for Hindy, Burt, Fui, Reni, Keating, Benny and a couple of others

True EEL

Bench
and people keep giving McGuire a pass because he was playing at halfback....WTF??

Halfback and 5/8 are virtually the same these days and he has played in the halves A LOT in his career....

Do you really think the Broncos were keener then us ? We actually made a few linebreaks but just couldn't convert it into points, which reflects the poor play making options we had in the side last night;

- a Winger (who played good) playing fullback, can't expect Burt to have perfect play making skills when doesn't regularly have that responsiblity
- A lock who hasn't played nrl in 2 years playing 5/8
- a half back who is normally a hooker or 5/8.

3 Eels mistakes lead to Bronco tries, 2 being from outside our 20. We also made more then 200 metres then the broncos and had a completion rate around 75%. Our forwards made a lot more metres then the broncos forwards did - the stats don't show that the broncos we keener. But the side line up actually shows the broncos had a natural halfback and 5/8, along with some quality young backs with speed. We were just outclassed and also lacked a play maker.
Yes they were, you could see it in thier line speed in defence. I could tell after 5mins last night that we were in trouble and really the only reason we were still in the game with 20 to go was because of thier handling errors.
We had some very good players too but they played well as a team and did everything as a team.

it was the little things, Casey got in a hole from a Fui pass and drew the fullback looked around and had no support to pass too, if he had support we score. Broncos make a break and they have 2 or 3 options to pass to some for the Raiders last week. We need to get some younger more enthusastic players in our top squad. Time to blood some juniors, keep O'Hanlon there and bring up brien and co and give a different one a run each week. Hell even give Barba a run off the bench in one game to give him a taste.

Eels Dude

Coach
it was the little things, Casey got in a hole from a Fui pass and drew the fullback looked around and had no support to pass too, if he had support we score. Broncos make a break and they have 2 or 3 options to pass to some for the Raiders last week. We need to get some younger more enthusastic players in our top squad. Time to blood some juniors, keep O'Hanlon there and bring up brien and co and give a different one a run each week. Hell even give Barba a run off the bench in one game to give him a taste.

That's why the people saying we didn't give 100% last night are correct.

it was the little things, Casey got in a hole from a Fui pass and drew the fullback looked around and had no support to pass too, if he had support we score.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!! And that is an attitude thing. It annoys me when guys like Fui make breaks and there is no one within coo-ee to pass.

eel01s

Bench
Horo catches that pass we score they dont.

Reni gets the ball down.

Allgood manages to force the ball.

Loko's injury.

Horrible penalty for a 'chest high' called on Allgood gets Brisbane down the other end and
Casey misses badly and Horo gets stuck in the mud and Gillet scores.

Game of inches could have easily gone our way.

That was the game right there. 10-12 point turnaround.

Once again, we couldn't overcome the setbacks. We just don't have the class to do it yet.

The way I see it, we have done well to compete in so many games this year. With some luck, we could have been on at least 18 or 20 points, and much higher up the ladder.

With the squad we have, I think they have actually gone better than expected. We don't have a quality half or 5/8 in the club ( I think Maguire's best spot is hooker), and lots of rookies in the backline.

As long as the recruitment bolsters our weaknesses for next year, I see 2012 as a much better year for the club. As an example look at the TYC team from last year to this.

Eels Dude

Coach
So why was he picked as the 5/8 for the NSW residents team?

Humble definately deserves a run. Even just to see if he can crack it at first grade. He definately has the talent. Morts was given 50 odd games. It's about time Humble got his chance. Even on the bench would be better than nothing. Makes more sense than the Billy Rogers experiment.

Suitman

Post Whore
Humble definately deserves a run. Even just to see if he can crack it at first grade. He definately has the talent. Morts was given 50 odd games. It's about time Humble got his chance. Even on the bench would be better than nothing. Makes more sense than the Billy Rogers experiment.

The silly Billy Rogers experiment began before Humble even finished his lay off for the positive drug test. That comment is not even relevant.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
The silly Billy Rogers experiment began before Humble even finished his lay off for the positive drug test. That comment is not even relevant.

Suity

I'm well aware of that. But Rogers was given a go to see how he went and develop him as a future first grader. Otherwise why pick a backrower on the bench and give him 10 minute stints at the back end of a game. Just think Humble could benefit from that also and would by doing that SK could tell if he's worth re-signing or not. We've got a pretty much wasted bench position at the moment so it's not going to hurt the side.

forward pass

Coach
Apart from the Raiders match which I reckon we were never in, we could have won all of our recent games. Knights, Saints, Sea Eagles and Broncos - just a bit of composure, discipline and ball control and we could have won all of them.

But we didn't - so that is all that matters I guess.

Last edited:

CrazyEel

Bench
Apart from the Raiders match which I reckon we were never in, we could have won all of our recent games. Knights, Saints, Sea Eagles and Broncos - just a bit of composure, dicipline and ball control and we could have won all of them.

But we didn't - so that is all that matters I guess.
All true and just think of where we'd be on the table today with just one addition of a 1st grade halfback that could actually organise our attack and leave Hayne free to do his own thing.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Against the Broncos we had no attack. It is all well and good to have effort but we waited 50 minutes to get out of first gear in attack.