What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets compare, shall we ?

ozbash

Referee
The Breakers won 2 from 2,,24 hours apart,, against 2 of the top teams in the NBL,, away from home.

Why cant the Warriors even remotely dream of doing that ?

Micistm

Bench
It's a damn good question, and one thats had fans scratching their head for years.

Listening to the Breakers hour on radio sport is a telling thing...if they have a loss, they are dead set filthy about it. Warriors on the other hand go through slumps and 'take positives', and are happy in the fact 'we're a tight unit', 'not far off turning the corner' and so on. The usual PC rhetoric.

They could learn a lot from the Breakers.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
The Warriors don't play games 24 hours apart. The Warriors arn't back to back champions. I suspect that the ANBL isn't as tough in terms of having talent spread across the comp as the NRL.

Skinner

Coach
Yes, it's definitely an attitude thing. Attitude and motivation I think. Mic is right, the Breakers beat themselves up after a lose. For that team, losing is not an option.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Is the constant high 5ing and pat on the arse from the Warriors when an error occurses a symptom of whats wrong at the Warriors?

ozbash

Referee
Maybe, Sam.
The Warriors and Breakers are quite similar in make up in a lot ways, despite being different sports.

The teams have their share of imports, middle of the road players, past their use by players (yep, Id class CJ Bruton as past his use by), brilliant youngsters coming through, play in an Australian comp and both have Aussie coaches.

Iafeta

Referee
The Breakers seem to be the most professional club in the league. Other clubs seem always to be on the bring of oblivion financially. It was a sad state of affairs one year when the comp couldn't get a Sydney team up and running.

They're different sports with different physical characteristics (one is probably more aerobic, the other more collision based), and Australian teams generally struggle to get across and compete well in Auckland most years. I'd say there's been a lot of different theories thrown at it by a lot of different coaches and sport scientists but no one is yet to come up with a tangible answer for rugby league. Rather than look at the Breakers, I'd probably look more at the likes of the Crusaders who seem to tour Australia and South Africa quite successfully, and aside from it being more kick intensive, do have a lot of physical collisions and in South Africa in particular have to adjust to physical taxing conditions in terms of the climate.

Iafeta

Referee
The Phoenix, who have had a fairly solid squad, usually struggle with the trips to Australia.

ozbash

Referee
I know, but why ?

Phoenix and the Warriors are very good teams..

Top 2 inches, I think..

Juju

Juniors
After last night, there is no comparison...
The NBL and A league are so far below each codes premier competitions (NBA / Premier League etc) -
Therefore far weaker competition's than the Warriors compete in.
The NRL is the worlds premier rugby league competition with the best rugby league talent.

How do you think the Breakers or Pheonix would go week in week out against the Heat or Man U standard teams? They would have their asses handed to them.

+ The NBL for instance, only has 8 teams... So to me the Breakers success has been pretty grossly exaggerated if you are being honest about it.

Diesel

Referee
The Warriors should've won a premiership by now, 2003 was looking like the year and then it fell over. The trips across the Tasman is not an excuse anymore as they are professionals now and all of them would be used it to. Look at the Breakers, or the West Coast Eagles, two teams that have to fly 3 hours and a 2 hour time shift to play most of their away games.
I think if we had made the finals in the first year and Super League hadn't started their war when this club was only 3 or 4 games old we would've been more professional earlier on and more focused.
I'm not sure how far away our first premiership is but I hope like f**k we are not another version of Cronulla

Juju

Juniors
The Warriors should've won a premiership by now, 2003 was looking like the year and then it fell over. The trips across the Tasman is not an excuse anymore as they are professionals now and all of them would be used it to. Look at the Breakers, or the West Coast Eagles, two teams that have to fly 3 hours and a 2 hour time shift to play most of their away games.
I think if we had made the finals in the first year and Super League hadn't started their war when this club was only 3 or 4 games old we would've been more professional earlier on and more focused.
I'm not sure how far away our first premiership is but I hope like f**k we are not another version of Cronulla

The Sharks should of won a title by now.
Souths should of won another title by now. etc etc.

Its a extremely tough competition ...

Diesel

Referee
I agree it's a tough comp and its all about getting your timing right, which Clearly was pretty good at doing with the squad he had, however how can Melbourne who was established after us have 2 premierships to their name yet we get a goose egg?

Rich102

Staff member
I agree it's a tough comp and its all about getting your timing right, which Clearly was pretty good at doing with the squad he had, however how can Melbourne who was established after us have 2 premierships to their name yet we get a goose egg?

They had one goal, the expertise and a hard-nosed approach.
The nearest we have come to that attitude is Kevin Campion.

parraeels2010

Juniors
Compare the rd 1 likely teams

Hayne> Locke
Sio > Tupou
W.tonga > neislon
4.Loko > Hurrell
5.Blair < Vatuvei
6. Roberts > Tuimavi (sp)
Sandow > Johnson
Allgood < Rapira
9.Keating < Friend
Mannah > Lousi
Smith > Taylor
Paulo > Mannering
13.Ryan. < Mateo

Can't think of the rest of the warriors line up but just by the starting line up eels should win by 50

Latest posts