What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Letting go of Mateo. Thoughts?

84 Baby

Referee
In a game Mateo is a player you want evidenced by his highlight reel on Friday. He can break the line, pop an amazing pass, come up with a stunning kick, etc. If we make the finals, I'd want him to have as much game time as possible.

Mateo's problem isn't his exploits in individual games or finals, it's the 26 weeks that lead up to the finals that unfortunately he's had trouble even giving a promise of some consistency. Perhaps Ando is over coaching him, perhaps Feleti's mind was elsewhere.

We've got enough players in our squad that make us good enough to WIN 9 in 10 grand finals, we need more players who will help us MAKE 9 in 10 grand finals.

I'll miss Mateo, but I've said it hundreds of times, he can play no better for the Eels, it's now up to him to play better for someone else

hasman

Juniors
Anyone who say Meteo shouldnty be in this club is an idiot. Im gutted he is leaving and sad DA couldnt get the bet out of him.

Aonther bad decision by the current management.

Mate agree with your comments. One thing needs to be know. The Coach Sacks, Buys, Retains. The Board have no control at the Moment.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Feleti is playing like he is now as he is now ALLOWED to play his natural game...
he was under strict rules from ando as how he was allowed to play (which made no sense) This is the real feleti and how he loves to play....

The warriors have dished out alot of money, something we couldnt compete with. However it is not the amount of 400k

lucablight

First Grade
The parra offer to keep him was bullsh*t

Full of third party deals and promises of sponsor cars.

Not much hard cash.

Ozzie is a snake and mateo could tell.

Ozzie was hard for morts. Showd no respect for mateo whilst warriors were throwing everything at him. What else would he do?

Plus DA has wasted him all year. He wants to get out.

Disappointing if true. Mateo should have been a priority ahead of Mortimer. Anyone else find it interesting that we supposedly have a "no dickhead policy" and are thinking of having Maitua as his replacement.

Anyway it'll be interesting to see the attitudes of the fans next year compared to how they are now.

MaxZ/3iaGGiZ

Juniors
Mate agree with your comments. One thing needs to be know. The Coach Sacks, Buys, Retains. The Board have no control at the Moment.

Exactly.
All these peasants who say it's the Management/Board/Osbourne who are responsible are just making up stories to protect DA. Whats worse about DA's character now is he told Mateo we couldn't squeeze him in because of the salary cap yet we want some Union player for $850 000 a year who has not even played the game. Thankgod its DA's final year next year. He knows it and we all know it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Exactly.
All these peasants who say it's the Management/Board/Osbourne who are responsible are just making up stories to protect DA. Whats worse about DA's character now is he told Mateo we couldn't squeeze him in because of the salary cap yet we want some Union player for $850 000 a year who has not even played the game. Thankgod its DA's final year next year. He knows it and we all know it.

I think you'll find Timana Tahu, for one, was signed solely by Osborne. And there is speculation Quade Cooper is another Paul Osborne special.

So...try again.

spartan2153

Juniors
Exactly.

i have never read anyones comments and agreed so much. you are a genius in ur thinking. maxZ3iaggiz for pm

mrpwnd

Bench
I think you'll find Timana Tahu, for one, was signed solely by Osborne. And there is speculation Quade Cooper is another Paul Osborne special.

So...try again.
Maybe it's a joint process like the selectors and the coach for origin. If so, we've just about done a worse job than a Daley and Bellamy deluxe.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Exactly.

This is what I grabbed from the net within a few minutes.... Just shows who is doing all the decision making, wheeling & dealing and buying of players. There is hardly anything on the net that mention Daniel Anderson doing all this..... It's basically just Paul Osborne. It seems you are a 3P agent involved in propaganda campaigns to out Daniel Anderson.....

Mortimer is a must-have for the future: Eels chief

Extending rookie sensation Daniel Mortimer's contract long-term has been identified by Eels chief executive Paul Osborne as his priority during the off-season.

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...-for-the-future-eels-chief-20091123-iyr3.html

--------------------------------

Eels chief Paul Osborne said when he joined the club after the mid-season demise of long-term boss Denis Fitzgerald it was clear Inu's future was at a crossroads.

Inu had been dropped from first grade after reports he'd frustrated the Eels coaching staff with his lack of enthusiasm and the fact he'd failed to recapture his 2008 form.

''It seemed to me as if the club wanted to let Krisnan go and he wanted to leave the club,'' said Osborne. ''When I spoke to Timana about his own playing future I mentioned where Krisnan was at and he was straight on the front foot, advising me to not let him go.

''He said, 'No, no, no, no I can help turn him around', and that I was to make sure he stayed at Parramatta because they worked well together.

He told me he'd help Krisnan and that it'd be great for them to get back together. Once 'T' said that, any chance of him leaving the club was off the table.''

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...spurs-inu-to-bigger-things-20091123-iyeg.html

Tahu, who was officially granted a release by the Australian Rugby Union late last week, has already stated his desire to reclaim his NSW and Australia jerseys. His decision to turn his back on rugby union after two years was instigated by Eels chief executive Paul Osborne.

"For the last two years watching rugby league meant watching Parramatta," Tahu said.

"I stayed close to a lot of the boys here during my time in union and I'd text or call them from time to time, so coming back just made sense to me and my family.

"Knowing so many people here, including having a friend in Paul Osborne as chief executive, it wasn't like I was coming to a new club at all, so there was no reason for me to look anywhere else really.

Link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...mana-tahu-switch/story-e6frg7mf-1225759217562

Eels chief executive Paul Osborne said contract negotiations with Feleti Mateo, Krisnan Inu, Eric Grothe, Kris Keating and other players yet to be signed beyond this season were on hold.
''We've decided to put all contract negotiations on hold,'' Osborne said. ''The form over the last four weeks has been poor so we're not in any rush. No one is jumping out to say 'you need to sign me'. If they want to stay they will show us that with their performances on the field.''

Despite adding dual international Timana Tahu, NSW Origin prop Justin Poore and Country Origin forward Shane Shackleton to an almost identical roster to the one that made last year's grand final, the Eels have made a worse start to their 2010 campaign than they did last season when they won two of their opening four matches before losing eight and drawing one of their next 12 games.

Link: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...l-you-find-form-parra-boss-20100405-rn3h.html

------------------------

Since then Osborne has managed to persuade the 28-year-old to return to the NRL with the Eels in 2010, the deal dependant on Tahu gaining a release from the last two years of his ARU contract.

and

The addition of Tahu would cap a great recruitment drive by the Eels with NSW Origin prop Justin Poore and Sydney Roosters backrower Shane Shackleton having agreed to terms.

Osborne said his next priority would be re-signing the likes of Jarryd Hayne and Daniel Mortimer, who are amongst a host of players coming off contract at the end of next season.

Link: http://www.nrl.com/tabid/10874/newsId/55986/Default.aspx

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
How I'll rebuild Parramatta - Paul Osborne
By Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
July 10, 2009

PAUL Osborne will walk into his office at Parramatta Leagues Club on Monday morning
with a plan to return the club to its glory days.

492845-paul-osborne.jpg

The New Parramatta Eels boss, Paul Osborne, at Parramatta Stadium.
Source: The Daily Telegraph

A few short months ago he was desperate to walk away from the game, fed up with explaining the poor behaviour of players to his nine children.

But an unexpected chance to return Parramatta to an NRL superpower after a 23-year premiership drought has renewed his enthusiasm.

One of his first tasks is to sign NSW Origin star Jarryd Hayne.

The former Canberra premiership-winning prop said he wants to establish a culture at the club, like Jack Gibson in the 1980s, where players are looked after beyond football.

"I want to make it clear that as long as I'm in charge, Nathan Hindmarsh will have a job for life at this club," he said. "I want Parramatta to be a club that looks after its best players and never loses them again.

"Signing Jarryd Hayne to a longer term deal will be one of the first things I address. I also went to meet with Krisnan Inu's manager and get to the bottom of why he hasn't been at his best. Krisnan is a wonderfully talented player."

But Osborne is aware he is heading straight into the middle of a salary-cap investigation and a period of instability at the club.

"It's important to be as co-operative as possible. We always need to be open and transparent," Osborne said of any NRL inquiry.

"Obviously there are questions that need to be answered and that's happening now. I've worked closely with (NRL salary cap auditor) Ian Schubert during my time at the Player Agent Accreditation. If this matter is not resolved by Monday, I'll be giving him as much assistance as he needs.

"I've been briefed on it, but I don't have an intimate knowledge. But I am confident it will be resolved quickly."

Perhaps the key part of his charter is "re-engaging with the fans" - making them proud to wear the blue and gold jersey.

To that end, he will have the players out in the community, "with open training sessions in suburbs like Blacktown and Castle Hill".

"At the moment we've got around 3500 members, which isn't anywhere near what we should have given Parramatta, in my view, is the biggest supported club in Sydney," Osborne said.

"I think there's a tendency for teams supported by a big leagues club to overlook that area.

"We're also a western Sydney club, so we have a duty to promote rugby league in an area that's under attack from AFL.

"I'm also keen to return tradition to the jersey and emblem. I'd love them to go back to the old designs from the club's glory years in the 1980s. It really infuriates me to see jerseys change every couple of years - the AFL doesn't do that. But ultimately I want to look after the players beyond football, help them with their lives like the great Jack Gibson did."

As a committed Christian and non-drinker, Osborne knows the challenges facing the game. He doesn't - and won't - shy away from that.

Like most people in the game, it hurts him when unsavoury headlines undo so much of the good work that goes unnoticed.

"I'd had a gutful of all the negative headlines, explaining to my children why their heroes were in the headlines for the wrong reasons," he said. "If people want to drink, they will find a way to do it. It's about educating them about the consequences of going overboard and making them responsible for those consequences."

Link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...tta-paul-osborne/story-e6frfgdx-1225747963152

yy_cheng

Coach
Maybe it's a joint process like the selectors and the coach for origin. If so, we've just about done a worse job than a Daley and Bellamy deluxe.

or maybe DA is asked who's on your talent search list or certain skills, e.g. DA says ball playing Half. Ozzie goes and has a look and tries to sign somebody.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
What appears to be happening is this............
a) Paul Osborne & Daniel Anderson have a very good working relationship and friendship
b) Paul Osborne is a 3P appointment
c) Daniel Anderson is a Dennis Fitzgerald appointment
d) If Eels don't do well 3P have to go after Daniel Anderson
c) In their early years, 3P have to be seen in the best light, so going after Daniel Anderson as their scape goat is their right path. They can't be going after Paul Osborne as this will reflect bad on 3P
f) MaxZ/3iaGGiZ is a 3P agent sent in to undo Daniel Anderson JUST IN CASE

Something stinks around MaxZ/3iaGGiZ

Maybe Paul & Daniel need to come out together to explain their working relationship so they can extinguish all the bullsh*t being flung at one or both of them. Even better is just winning this years NRL premiership, both holding the trophy with their big cheesy smiles from ear to ear. That will shut everyone up unrtil the next contracted MaxZ/3iaGGiZ comes along.

mrpwnd

Bench
or maybe DA is asked who's on your talent search list or certain skills, e.g. DA says ball playing Half. Ozzie goes and has a look and tries to sign somebody.
It's a pity he went and decided to look for one about 4/5 into the season when every clubs halves are well and truly locked up.

mrpwnd

Bench
What appears to be happening is this............
a) Paul Osborne & Daniel Anderson have a very good working relationship and friendship
b) Paul Osborne is a 3P appointment
c) Daniel Anderson is a Dennis Fitzgerald appointment
d) If Eels don't do well 3P have to go after Daniel Anderson
c) In their early years, 3P have to be seen in the best light, so going after Daniel Anderson as their scape goat is their right path. They can't be going after Paul Osborne as this will reflect bad on 3P
f) MaxZ/3iaGGiZ is a 3P agent sent in to undo Daniel Anderson JUST IN CASE

Something stinks around MaxZ/3iaGGiZ

Maybe Paul & Daniel need to come out together to explain their working relationship so they can extinguish all the bullsh*t being flung at one or both of them. Even better is just winning this years NRL premiership, both holding the trophy with their big cheesy smiles from ear to ear. That will shut everyone up unrtil the next contracted MaxZ/3iaGGiZ comes along.
Maybe MaxZ is Osborne himself.

yy_cheng

Coach
It's a pity he went and decided to look for one about 4/5 into the season when every clubs halves are well and truly locked up.

well, i guess it didn't hit him until Mortz was rested last week.

I think he really did put all his eggs into the Mortz basket. Robbo and KK were both put at 9 or 14 but never Mortz.

lucablight

First Grade
Who was the one who set up the try that got the Eels back into the match?
Who was the one who got the Eels the penalty which would have sent it into extra time?
Mateo was one of the Eels best again today.

btaag

Juniors
Who was the one who set up the try that got the Eels back into the match?
Who was the one who got the Eels the penalty which would have sent it into extra time?
Mateo was one of the Eels best again today.

Too little, too late, not worth $400,000. If he played this well for more than 20% of the season, we might have resigned him.

btaag

Juniors
I like how $400,000 keeps getting chucked out there, not really true but it sounds better I spose.

$250,000, $300,000, $350,000 - who cares, he is not worth that money in my opinion, not when there are other players we need in the team. Good luck to him at Warriors - he will suit their style and attitude, and will probably do well.

THANKS to Warriors for signing Inu as well - only two more games to go!

Noise

Coach
Losing Mateo is going to be a very big loss for us. I think he will carve up at the Warriors. He would have stayed with us for less than 400 000.

Latest posts