What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leuluai looks at other offers

Stagger eel

Staff member
bartman said:
Wow, I didn't think it would end up happening, but that sounds pretty conclusive. Despite him being a current international, I think Leuluai's only on even chance with Tim Smith at getting a first grade berth ie. not until an injury to Morris or Marsh.

With Marcus Perenara as well we now have quite a few guys around the 18-20 yo mark looking to establish themselves as long-term halfbacks? May the survival of the fittest begin!! :D

Hurri, I agree - I thought of Manly's whinging about Parra's stance on Lyon when reading Parra's whinging about the Warriors. :roll:

I agree!!

it is survival of the fittest and makes me even more confident that something special will come out of it!!

Manly were the only "dipsticks" that were whingin about the Lyon situation most other clubs and their supporters actually supported our stance.

Utey

Coach
I just hope Smith and Marsh get descent shots. Leuluai has played International so I guess his bounds ahead of Smith but it will be a shame if Smith leaves.

Eelementary

Post Whore
strider said:
why the pot calling the kettle black?....we've released players to go to other NRL clubs - Witt, Dykes, Buettner.

Well because it's the same situation with Lyon and Manly, isn't it?

They were furious we wouldn't let them sign him up (and I agree 100% with Parramatta on that). I just think it's funny that the Warriors play the same games we did and WE get angry.

stuke

Bench
Eelementary said:
strider said:
why the pot calling the kettle black?....we've released players to go to other NRL clubs - Witt, Dykes, Buettner.

Well because it's the same situation with Lyon and Manly, isn't it?

They were furious we wouldn't let them sign him up (and I agree 100% with Parramatta on that). I just think it's funny that the Warriors play the same games we did and WE get angry.

LEULUAI: the warriors gave him permission to talk to other clubs...he came and checked out parramatta...decided thats where he wants to go and then the warriors have stopped it in its tracks.

LYON: walks out on the club claiming stress of living in sydney...wants to return to the bush leaving the club short of a contracted player after one game. a few months later decides he is ready to return but only on his terms and wants to play for a different club. he doesn't get his own way and carries on like a first class twat!!

how is this similiar??

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Jake the snake said:
What does everyone think? Will this drive Tim Smith and Blake Green out of the club?

I hate to say it but maybe thats would happen with BS coaching, he'll put Leuluai at halfback, who will be sh*tt, wont give Tim Smith a go. We'll have the same problems as this year. :roll: #-o ](*,)

theicemandanno

Juniors
Anyone know if T.Smith and Leuluai may have played against each other in junior rep games (possibly schoolboys).

Leuluai HAS played international football and IS the kiwi's halfback. He HAS NRL experience. Furthermore, he is only 19 years old!

C'mon peoples.....

In the words of Day Day.....'Don't hate....appreciate!'

Wake up and smell the coffee, Leuluai is an EEL in '05. Let the competition for halfback begin....

Perenara vs Leuluai vs Smith vs Green vs Marsh(although he will be our 14.)

Anyone got the average age of those 5?

Besides, if none of those guys dont work out. Relax. We all know that the Leagues Club is going to be thrown at a certain 1/2 back to lure him to Parra :twisted:

In reality, my idea is that 05 is a race to find our five-eighth for 06, given that we will be going all out to recruit Orford. Therefore, my prediction for 06 will be

6. T. Smith
7. Orford

Iafeta

Referee
strider said:
You CANNOT compare the Lyon situation to this in ANY WAY.....completely and utterly different.

- Lyon chose to attempt to lie and bribe his way to Manly to be with sugar daddy Crusher....he walked out....Parra had EVERY right to deny him a release to a Sydney based club given his own reasons for deserting us.

- Leuleui asked if he could be released because he saw no opportunities at the Warriors and went through all the correct channels....as has Parra in trying to get him.

Why not? The Warriors don't have to allow Leuluai the choice of going to Parramatta.

Leuluai has a clause in his 3 year contract with the Warriors that states he can only gain a release to an ESL club, not to an NRL club. The Warriors would be extremely generous to grant him a move to Parramatta. Thomas should have negotiated his contract better and read the clauses, I'd say however he was extremely lucky to get the ESL club clause as it was.

Utey

Coach
I dont want him. But given a whole year in the 7 he could really shine. But what we have seen of him so far has been far from impressive and about the same that Witt did for us. Would much prefer Smith have a good go.

eelsta

Bench
Iafeta said:
strider said:
You CANNOT compare the Lyon situation to this in ANY WAY.....completely and utterly different.

- Lyon chose to attempt to lie and bribe his way to Manly to be with sugar daddy Crusher....he walked out....Parra had EVERY right to deny him a release to a Sydney based club given his own reasons for deserting us.

- Leuleui asked if he could be released because he saw no opportunities at the Warriors and went through all the correct channels....as has Parra in trying to get him.

Why not? The Warriors don't have to allow Leuluai the choice of going to Parramatta.

Leuluai has a clause in his 3 year contract with the Warriors that states he can only gain a release to an ESL club, not to an NRL club. The Warriors would be extremely generous to grant him a move to Parramatta. Thomas should have negotiated his contract better and read the clauses, I'd say however he was extremely lucky to get the ESL club clause as it was.

he didnt play 1 game so as to get paid 140,000 did he how would you have felt about leuluai had that been the case :?:

eelsta

Bench
ps at least he asked for release in the off season .not walk out on his mates after 1 game.

Iafeta

Referee
eelsta said:
Iafeta said:
strider said:

he didnt play 1 game so as to get paid 140,000 did he how would you have felt about leuluai had that been the case :?:

Sorry, I can't understand a word you're saying. If you're saying he didn't play a game for the Warriors, he had about 10 appearances this year.

The basic fact of the matter is, legally the Warriors can do what they like with Leuluai, let him talk to ESL clubs, or hold onto him for 2 years. They'd be extra generous to let him go to Parramatta, which contractually makes Smith's comments bewildering.

Iafeta said:
eelsta said:
Iafeta said:
strider said:

Sorry, I can't understand a word you're saying. If you're saying he didn't play a game for the Warriors, he had about 10 appearances this year.

The basic fact of the matter is, legally the Warriors can do what they like with Leuluai, let him talk to ESL clubs, or hold onto him for 2 years. They'd be extra generous to let him go to Parramatta, which contractually makes Smith's comments bewildering.

Iafeta we don't want him anyway, Its our coach that sees something in him that we can't.

Not that I want him but the Lyon/Leulaui situations are completely different. Its true the Warriors have the right to block him, but th reason Parra are upset is because the Warriors gave Leulaui permission to have a look at the setup out Parra way and then they changed there mind for some reason. Thats why Parra are upset.

To tell ya the truth I hope the Warriors don't change there minds and that Leulaui is forced to go to England.

How is Brian Smith Justifying signing Leulaui up, On what performance (game wise). I mean the only good game that he had was over a year ago against the Aussies apart from that he has been playing the Bartercard comp which is the equivelant of the Metro cup. From what i have seen so far in the test series, his kicking game is rubbish and he has nothing to his game. My greatest fear is if we lose Tim Smith and Blake Green for me, and that would be it for me with this club as this talent doesn't come along everyday try like every 20 years.

eelsta

Bench
lyon could have told parra in the off season he wanted a release but did he no he played 1 game spat the dummy and left his club, teamates in the lurch and then was paid 140000 for his trouble, this is in no way the same as the luelaui situation at least he hasnt waited until the first game next year ,however if the warriors want to stick to there guns well good on them they have every right to do so. all im trying to say is lyon did the dirty on everyone and deserved exactly what he got i hope this clears things up for you. CHEERS

eels1986

Juniors
Reading the SMH today it looks like Luelaui will be coming to the Eels. I have been reading for months now how Jake talks up Smith and Green and as I live in NQ I have never seem them play but if they are as good as he says they are then they will be given the opportunity. Don't forget BS is on his last chance and only success will save him. The more depth we have the better. Lets not forget Luelaui is only 19, played test football. Surely the NZ selectors think he is something special to give him the responsiblity to lead the Kiwis around the park. Lets just hope whoever deserves to pay number 7 gets the opportunity. Interesting part of all this is will PJ be given first shot still????

If he (Leulaui) does end up coming, I hope he does prove me wrong and I'll eat my words and I'll be the 1st to say that he is a good player. I just don't see him as halfback. If it was someone like an Orford then hell yeah.

Its true Brian is on his last chance with the club, One way to get on side with the fans is too show that he is willing to give the younger guys ago like Mateo and T Smith and not play the Failed Favourites all the time.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Jake the snake said:
If he (Leulaui) does end up coming, I hope he does prove me wrong and I'll eat my words and I'll be the 1st to say that he is a good player. I just don't see him as halfback. If it was someone like an Orford then hell yeah.

Its true Brian is on his last chance with the club, One way to get on side with the fans is too show that he is willing to give the younger guys ago like Mateo and T Smith and not play the Failed Favourites all the time.

I see 1 of 2 things happening.

1] 1 or more of these kids are going to turn it on and then they'll work on building a premiership side around them, as Canterbury have done with Sherwin and St George are doing with Head.

2] they'll clean out their stocks again and go all out for Orford or Bowan [who's rumoured to want to play half back]...just remember that Brian has this tendency to go for players his tried to get to the club in the past and those 2 fit the bill.

remember his interview in Big League where he said his looking for a vast improvement in 05 but is building for premiership winning side by 06?

Utey

Coach
I think we will end up losing Green but I think Smith will hang around for a couple more years.

Utey

Coach
So do I but younger players get very impatient and want their shot. I really hope he stays around.