What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis Brown -->> Penwiff

hitman82

Bench
Agreed. He tends to jersey grab a fair bit, and this really doesn't work in the centres. Great in the back row and running out of dummy half. Just don't let him kick - it will mostly result in opposition tries.

hitman82

Bench
Ugh this just reminds me of Mannering in the centres when we choked against the Tigers last year.

Funnily that very incident prompted my anti-Mannering campaign, which lasted most of 2011 :lol:
Thankfully I have been proven wrong. And this season so far, Simon has been a machine! He's really upped his aggressiveness in defense, which is awesome to see. He's dominating and rag-dolling players in most tackles now, as well as being stronger running the ball.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
We've got a few players off contract so I don't think this will be the last goodbye we'll be saying. New coaches, especially from outside the club, always have different ideas about the squad and players.

Luck, Ta'ai, Steve Rapira, Ropati, Packer, Tupou all off contract as far as I know unless I missed a re-signing announcement.

Izz

Bench
Can't say i'm surprised. He'll go well over there. Hopefully this means that Ciraldo will never see first grade again ;-)

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Did you ever watch Brown play in the centres? His passing game ain't that flash either sunshine!

Also, if you'd watched Taylor in the U20s you'd realise what he is capable of. Cleary introduced him as a tacklebot, and he is only just starting to use his ball playing skills in first grade. trust me, Taylor will develop into a far better player than Brown.

Ok where did I say anything about passing games??

Brown effectively is just a really strong ball carrier, thats his 'attacking' game. Is Taylor? No I wouldn't say so. If anything his attack will be based around a bit of ball skill and playing.

So you agree with me that Taylors attacking game is ball playing, and you say Brown can't pass but that they have very similar attacking games? Interesting.

Izz

Bench
We've got a few players off contract so I don't think this will be the last goodbye we'll be saying. New coaches, especially from outside the club, always have different ideas about the squad and players.

Luck, Ta'ai, Steve Rapira, Ropati, Packer, Tupou all off contract as far as I know unless I missed a re-signing announcement.
I reckon Luck, Steve Rapira and Tupou will all be gone next season. Hopefully Ropati, too, though Bluey has much manlove for him.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

First Grade

Theres only two guys I would really want to keep there, and I'd be more than willing if we lets the rest go if it meant we made a huge offer to Kieran Foran.

I reckon Luck, Steve Rapira and Tupou will all be gone next season.

I really hope Steve stays. The lure of playing alongside Sam (something he hasnt been able to do for any great length of time), and some unfinished business here will hopefully seal the deal.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I really hope he stays.....if we actually play him. Would suck to see him resign for two more years and play about 5 FG games. Could be a starting second rower at quite a few other clubs, I'm a big fan of him.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Theres only two guys I would really want to keep there, and I'd be more than willing if we lets the rest go if it meant we made a huge offer to Kieran Foran.

I'd be keeping Packer for sure, and yeah, the rest I'd be happy if they stayed but wouldn't be slitting my wrists if they left.

I can see Rapira staying, as he won't cost much and is first grade quality for low cost. Depends on whether he wants to stay I suppose.

I think we'll make a big play for Foran, doubt we'll get him though.

mxlegend99

Referee
Finally a quality attacking second rower added to the Panthers roster. Luckily the Warriors can cover the loss, and the Panthers are better off for the signing.

hitman82

Bench
Ok where did I say anything about passing games??

Brown effectively is just a really strong ball carrier, thats his 'attacking' game. Is Taylor? No I wouldn't say so. If anything his attack will be based around a bit of ball skill and playing.

So you agree with me that Taylors attacking game is ball playing, and you say Brown can't pass but that they have very similar attacking games? Interesting.

When I said "similar attacking games" I was referring to their overall level, not breaking them down into running/offloading components. I rate them equally in terms of overall attack, with Taylor having more natural ball playing talent, and therefore being the more valuable player longterm. So when you said they aren't similar, I thought you were referring to their level of attacking ability, as I was.

I agree that Brown is great running wide at centres, and making dashes around the ruck. He can also throw the occasional nice offload.

Taylor's defense is infinitely better than Brown's. So far the signs are extremely positive for Taylor in 2012. Brown is great, but surplus to requirements.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The problem for any off contract backrower at the Warriors who hasn't cemented a spot is they are faced with the prospect of not playing first grade and also taking less money than they can get playing elsewhere.

Mateo, Mannering, Taylor are our certain starters/top 17. Behind them though we have massive depth and could afford to lose just about any of the others knowing that all their replacement has to do is come in and tear in for 30 minutes at the most.

Would you pay 200k for a Luck, Rapira, Ta'ai when we have guys like Ikahihifo, Taukeiaho etc who could develop nicely over a season or two and be perfectly happy with 20-30 mins of game time for considerably less?

hitman82

Bench

With Lousi's prop emergence I'd not die internally if we lost Package, as much as I like the guy. But I very much doubt he will leave - I know family of his and they say he is crazy about the Warriors and loves NZ in general.

Ukuma I'd like us to retain simply because we lack big rampaging brown second rowers. But Lousi could provide this when he returns to second row, and we have a couple coming through the Vulcans who look likely as well.

Steve Rapira I'd like to see play alongside Sam, but I feel a bit indifferent to him.

Tupou we need to keep.

Luck I am indifferent - Taylor is going to provide his defense but with the bonus of an attacking game.