What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis promising development at Roosters

nqboy

First Grade
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19846538-23214,00.html

ROOSTERS legend Arthur Beetson has tagged Josh Lewis the bargain buy of the season.

Lewis joined the Roosters at the start of the year after being cut by St George-Illawarra on the code's minimum pay - $40,000 - one-tenth of the salary Braith Anasta commands at the club. The one-time Pyrmont colt who played all his junior representative football with the Tigers, has had to bide his time for his chance in the top flight. Coach Ricky Stuart elected to take it slowly with the youngster, who has a strong kicking game. He did not blood Lewis until five weeks ago, punting on Lewis to fill the role previously filled by State of Origin halfback Brett Finch. But a sudden loss of form by Finch in this year's second Origin game against Queensland opened the door for Lewis.

"I didn't think I'd get a shot at first grade this early," Lewis said. "Maybe one game on the back of the season. Ricky has shown a lot of confidence in me."

Lewis has repaid Stuart's faith, to the point that not only has Finch been relegated to the bench but also the club's former No.1 half is looking elsewhere for a job next season. Even going up against the Sharks former Test halfback Brett Kimmorley last weekend didn't faze the youngster, helping the Roosters to snap a six-game losing streak.
"You have to remember it was only Josh's fifth game of first grade and he handled it very well," Stuart said. "This time next year at this stage of the season he's going to be an even better player. He played very smart against Cronulla. He faces another tough test against the Bulldogs this weekend. The nice thing about coaching Josh is what he's learning from the coaching staff he's transferring it out onto the park of a weekend."

Beetson says Lewis has a bright future.

"I reckon he's got the best kicking game at this club since (Kevin) Horrie Hastings 20 years ago," Beetson said. "It's so important in today's game that you have a smart kicking game and a long kicking game, and Josh has both."

Lewis, 20, began the year with the Roosters in Jersey Flegg, playing with players his own age. But Stuart opted for the untried Lewis in the No.7 jumper after successive losses to Parramatta and Melbourne.

Brought up in a block of flats in a public housing estate in one of the tougher streets of inner-city Pyrmont, Lewis first came to the attention of the Tigers. His determination was evident at an early age, and not merely in the sporting arena.

Fifteen years ago when developers wanted a high rise on James Watkins Reserve, one of the few parks in Pyrmont, a young Lewis and his friends fiercely fought the plans. The children led protests against the development. They petitioned then Sydney Lord Mayor Frank Sartor, and had the development overturned. Pyrmont kept its park, the kids kept playing footy there, and many years on the Roosters are thankful for both.

So, his kicking game is better than Soward's, is it Artie? What has happened to the Golden Child recently, is he out injured? I've never seen anything to make me think Soward is anything more than maybe a FGer but Lewis has shown quite a bit more.

Mitchsu Danger

Juniors
ROOSTERS legend Arthur Beetson has tagged Josh Lewis the bargain buy of the season.

Lewis joined the Roosters at the start of the year after being cut by St George-Illawarra on the code's minimum pay - $40,000 - one-tenth of the salary Braith Anasta commands at the club.

Has he not seen Holdsworth play this season? We signed DJ for f**k all and he is killing it atm.

HoLLuS

Juniors
Lewis is 5/8, we will most likely see Soward AND Lewis together next year in the halves.

>zuzu<

Juniors
Lewis has played a handful of games. Holdsworth has played every game this year and he is on a 50,000 contract.

Holdsworth or Orford buy of the year. If Orford was on a bit less right now id say he is atm. But by a nose hair id say Holdsworth..but sitll a few more rounds to go

Special K

Coach
Stuart made a promise to Sowards father that he will look out for him. I don't see him going any where.

mattyg

Bench
>zuzu< said:
Lewis has played a handful of games. Holdsworth has played every game this year and he is on a 50,000 contract.

Holdsworth or Orford buy of the year. If Orford was on a bit less right now id say he is atm. But by a nose hair id say Holdsworth..but sitll a few more rounds to go

Mate, Orford is on something like 400k + per season. Holdsworth is on 1/8th of that. There is no way Orford is playing 8 times better than Holdsworth :p . I think Holdsworth gets his buy of the year tag pretty convincingly ;-) . IMO Orford hasn't even proven that he is worth anything near the amount he is on.

fillapop

Juniors
anasta can't go 2 lock cause we already have got harrison and flannery for that position. we should have only bought 1 of the 2. but thats besides the point lewis is a good kid.

Kiwi

First Grade
Southernsaint said:
As far as I know, he wasn't "cut" by Saints...

Didn't you know, all signings by the Roosters are players unwanted by their clubs that are cut ect.

By this time next year Nate would have been cut from the Dogs and the Roosters would have saved his career turning him into a rep player .

aqua_duck

Coach
Kiwi said:
Didn't you know, all signings by the Roosters are players unwanted by their clubs that are cut ect.

By this time next year Nate would have been cut from the Dogs and the Roosters would have saved his career turning him into a rep player .
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Just like Ashley harrison was 'cut' from souths, Amos roberts was 'cut' from penrith, and anasta was 'cut' from the dogs and unwanted. :lol: :lol:

mattyg

Bench
Southernsaint said:
Holdsworth gets it off two tries where he's been a support player?? You're easily pleased!!

he is a freaking 5/8th how do you expect him to score tries. I have been quite impressed with him all through the year to be honest. The only time he dissapointed me was an intercept pass to Brian Carney against Newcastle, but he made up for it. He has a sensational passing game IMO and has been involved in plenty of our tries.

OVP

Coach
Kiwi said:

Wipe your chin, Kiwi, you're dribbling again.:roll:

Latest posts