What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis V Tyson II

It's truely sad to see a part of these boards which I use to enjoy reading, and also flourished for so long a time, all but dissapear.
Anyway...This was bought to my attention tonight.

Heavyweight Champion Lennox Lewis to fight Tyson - Then both Klitschkos
Canadian Press - January 30, 2003
BERLIN (CP) - Lennox Lewis will first fight Mike Tyson, followed by both Klitschko brothers and then retire, his trainer said Thursday. Emanuel Steward said he'd spoken with the WBC heavyweight champion, who has pulled out of a proposed bout with Vitali Klitschko and now plans a second fight against Tyson instead. "Lennox promised me that he'll beat Tyson first, then Vitali and at the end Wladimir (Klitschko). That's the way the plan looks. After these three fights, its over," Steward told the German sports Web site Sport1.de. Steward said Lewis wants to bow out of the sport in London. "Every time I speak to him he says the same thing: 'I want to fight in England. I want to be among my people,"' Steward told the Daily Express in England. Lewis was born in London but raised in Kitchener, Ont. The promoter for the Ukrainian brothers has appealed to the WBC to take action over Lewis pulling out of what he says is a signed contract for a fight with Vitali in April. Hans-Peter Kohl says he and Lewis manager Adrian Ogen signed the papers in December for the bout, but acknowledged Wednesday the fight apparently won't take place at the moment. Steward scoffed at charges from the Klitschko camp that Lewis is afraid of their boxer, calling the Canadian-raised fighter the greatest heavyweight champion since Muhammed Ali. But Steward called the Klitschko brothers "the future of the heavyweight division" and added Lewis wasn't always too happy to hear this from him. "I'm a big fan of them," Steward said. "For me they're already the No. 2 and 3 behind Lennox." Steward said he knew very early the two brothers would be big and added he doesn't see any Americans that can threaten them. But he added that Lewis would emerge the victor from both Klitschko fights because he was still stronger. "He's the No. 1," Lewis said. The towering Klitschko brothers, both 6-7 or bigger, are huge in Germany and Ukraine and other parts of Europe and recently have started fighting regularly in the U.S. in hopes of conquering the American market. Wladimir, who at 26 is five years younger than his sibling, is regarded by both brothers as the most talented of the two and by some as boxing's next great heavyweight. Wladimir, the former Olympic super heavyweight champion from Atlanta, stopped both Ray Mercer and Jameel McCline in recent stateside fights, performing well enough to keep his reputation intact as the division's coming boxer. Still, the Klitschkos' public relations campaign hasn't yet given them the name recognition of Tyson. A bigger payday was the reason the Ukrainian camp believe Vitali was bumped for Lewis-Tyson II. "That's what counts," Steward said of Tyson's name recognition. Wladimir Klitschko will defend his WBO heavyweight title on March 8 against South African Corrie Sanders in Hannover, Germany. © The Canadian Press, 2003

It's truely sad to see a part of these boards which I use to enjoy reading, and also flourished for so long a time, all but dissapear.
:)
Iron Mike is NOT the fighter he once was. Since Tyson-Lewis I and the embarrassment that followed, I'm surprised this fights still draws interest.
'fan-baller

I've lost interest.
But then again...it is Iron Mike and I can rebuild real quick. Specially considering I'd like to see another Rahman type dealing on Lewis. Bloody smart arse he seems to me. Surprising that he spent his growing years in Canada (Ont is canada right?). Never knew that.
Very true about the boxing discussions herethough. A damn good section that's sitting still atm. Shame. Some goodtalks there.Too many deletions though.

El Duque

Bench
There was always going to be a rematch as it was in the original contracts.

If Lewis refused to fight Tyson he'd be more than likely sued.

C

CanadianSteve

Surprising that he spent his growing years in Canada (Ont is canada right?). Never knew that.
New South Wales is part of Australia, right? Yes, Lewis grew up in Ontario. He played some high school basketball in Kitchener, I believe. He also boxed for Canada in the 88 Olympics, defeating Riddick Bowe for the gold medal if I remember right. After turning pro he decided to box out of England because there was more money to be made as an English boxer than a Canadian. I feel Lewis has come to be recognized or appreciated late in his career. He should skip Tyson and fight the 2 brothers, then retire. I hope he isn't getting to a point where he may fight one or two fights too many before he quits. You'd hate to see him end up like so many other boxers, with brain damage.

El Duque

Bench
He boxed for Canada in 84 as well I think. Lost to Tyrell Biggs and may have got a bronze.

Steve, he can't skip Tyson as there was a rematch clause in their original fight contracts.

I read something ages ago saying even if he'd decided to retire Tyson could've sued him because of it. I bet Lewis is the one who made sure there was a re clause in there just in case he lost. That's how he forced the re with Rahman.

C

CanadianSteve

<h2>Here is a record of Olympic boxing medals in the Super heavyweight division, which I forgot started in 1984. It doesn't have Lewis winning a bronze in 84, but he may have boxed that year, El Duque.</h2> <h2><a target=_top name=201>Super Heavyweight</a></h2> <h3>(Over 200.5 lbs/91 kg)</h3> <table border=1> <tbody> <tr> <th>Year</th> <th>Gold</th> <th>Final</th> <th>Silver</th> <th>Bronze</th></tr> <tr> <td>1984</td> <td>Tyrell Biggs, USA</td> <td>Dec 4-1</td> <td>Francesco Damiani, ITA</td> <td>Hazis Salihu, YUG &amp; Robert Wells, GBR</td></tr> <tr> <td>1988</td> <td>Lennox Lewis, CAN</td> <td>RS 2</td> <td>Riddick Bowe, USA</td> <td>Alek. Miroshnichenko, URS &amp; Janusz Zarenkiewicz, POL</td></tr> <tr> <td>1992</td> <td>Roberto Balado, CUB</td> <td>Pts 13-2</td> <td>Igbeneghu Richard, NGR</td> <td>Brian Nielsen, DEN &amp; Svilen Russinov, BUL</td></tr> <tr> <td>1996</td> <td>Vladimir Klichko, UKR</td> <td>Pts 7-3</td> <td>Paea Wolfgramm, TGA</td> <td>Duncan Dokiwari, NGR &amp; Aleksey Lezin, RUS</td></tr> <tr> <td>2000</td> <td>Audley Harrison, GBR</td> <td>Pts 30-16</td> <td>Mukhtarkan Dildabekov, KAZ</td> <td>Rustam Saidov, UZB &amp; Paolo Vidoz, ITA</td></tr></tbody></table>
I got this from the following site - http://www.hickoksports.com/history/boxolymp.shtml, which has the records of all the other weight divisions' medallists too. I know Lewis is obligated to fight Tyson again, I just think it's too bad since the last one was such a mismatch. The boxing public has been willing to pay to see Tyson, long past his best days, but I wonder if this bout will draw well given how the first one went.

El Duque

Bench
From the Cyber Boxing zone http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/lennox.htm

Amateur Highlights
1983 Won Junior World Championships at Super Heavyweight
--- James Oyebolo TKO2
--- Anare Evans TKO2
1984 Los Angeles Olympic Games Super Heavyweight Division
Opponent Country Result
Mohammad. Yousuf Pakistan TKO 3
Tyrell Biggs USA L Dec
1985 2nd in World Cup Heavyweight Competition