What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis vs Kenny

Who was better?

• Wally Lewis

Votes: 49 55.7%
  • Brett Kenny

Votes: 39 44.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Canard

Immortal
My final comment. I am comfortable with both their standings in League history. I admire Wally now - overcoming a very public stroke - and generally being the most reasoned and gracious Queenslander in an origin coverage. He, like Sterlo, is always reasoned and never carries on with that QUUUEEEEEEENNSSSLLLAAANNNNDDDEEEEEEEEERRRR crap that all the others do. He showed good character in the old Tooheys ad as well. I cannot imagine another big name QLD player (bar maybe the late Artie) saying "I love NSW" in an ad.

Both are legends. End of story.

I reckon thats a pretty fair assessment Loudy and not to far of my own opinion on the matter.

Just as a side note to the previous poster who mentioned that Lang Park had a "crown". All league fields are shaped this way, its just hard to tell on television.

typicalfan

Coach
I think most of the rugby league personalities in the media downplay their careers either directly or indirectly. It is a little bit like the leader of men attribute v the pure footballer attribute. When in doubt I pick the former, so Wally.

Wally is the King of QLD Rugby League, lets just understand that as well, not the king of all rugby league. There wouldn't be too many NSW people that would consider him the greatest of all time.

blaza88z

Coach
interesting thread, the only guys here with any real input into Kenny being the better player are Eels fans, don't worry about it guys, you'll win an origin series again soon, no need to re-live the 80's

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Kenny was moved to centre because Lewis played all over him and every other 5/8 NSW tried during Origin games...

Have a look at a few test matches where they both played, often it was Lewis delivering the pass to put Kenny through a hole.

possibly the stupidest load of shit i have ever read on here, it makes skeepe's posts look reasonable.

I saw both careers in full. Both brilliant and worthy of any accolade received. Two very different layers.

Lewis was a more tough uncompromising leader. The type of player you wanted/needed when things got tough. He inspired those around just with his presence.

kenny was one of the most naturally gifted players to have ever laced on a boot. On his day it was like poetry in motion, the skills were indeed sublime.

If I was picking a team based on pure footballing ability I'd want Bert as the 5/8th.

This.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
It's hard to split them... They're both two of the biggest senile, whinging has-beens in the game these days.

But Kenny was the better player IMO, he's also the better gardener.

Noa

First Grade
Brett Kenny was my favourite player growing up but Wally was the better player.

Bert was a better ball runner but Wally had him covered in all other areas. Especailly those that are essential to 5/8.

If they played today Wally would run your team like clockwork while youd still have to find a good organising & kicking 7 to match with Kenny.

Justafan

Juniors
Saw both play from the start of their career to the end. Can honestly say that I cannot split the two of them. Both totally different style of players. Both brillant at what they did best. Two images stand out in my mind that refect their differences. One was Wally taking on the whole NSW team and making a 30-40 metre run to score in the corner through sheer determination. Another was Brett Kenny using a body swerve in a test match against the Kiwi's to run through a gap no bigger that Mirana Kerr's waist. Man, what a body swerve the guy had. Still sends shivers done the spine. I confess that I am a Parra supporter and remember Kenny scoring 6 tries in three straight Grand Finals but who was the best? Like comparing apples with oranges.