What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lincoln Withers Canberra bound?¿?

azza

Juniors
I Bleed Green said:
Many people will disagree with me, but I think we should keep Tyran Smith. If he could work out his handling and propensity to have a brain explosion and give away a couple of stupid penalties a game, he would be a great player. He's the type of physical player we're lacking now that Wiki and Davico have moved on. Even though he had a couple of absurd brain explosions during the Roosters final, I loved how he went out there and tried to destroy the Roosters by beating the crap out of them. If he could just control his aggression and his handling he's be OK.

He's had something like 9 seasons and as many clubs to work out his problems. Excuse my cynicism, but I doubt anything is going to change now. I wouldn't be all that unhappy to see him go.

thickos

First Grade
Smith for Withers - gotta happen.

I agree with IBG that it was awesome to see Tyran belt the crap out of the Chooks - although he went too far with the niggle and the stupidity. Plus he was injured for a large part of the season, and he's got one year left before retirement....

All things are pointing to a player trade IMO.

raiders_boy

Juniors
yeah absolutely...

I have been a bit of a fan of Smith's for a little while... not sure why. His handling is terrible, but if he has only 1 or 2 seasons left in him, then the swap just HAS to be done...

If we don't get him, then there are gonna be some big questions being asked

Raider_69

Post Whore
Smith has always had that IF about

IF he could iron out his handling errors
IF he could get rid of the brain explosions
IF he could get some disapline

sorry guys, after watching him for a number of seasons now, ive come to the concludsion that it aint gonna happen

greeneyed

First Grade
I agree. I would not lose sleep about losing Tyran Smith, I have never thought he was any good. However, the problem for next year will be depth in the forwards if we did let him go, we would need to sign someone else. A swap for Withers isn't the solution.

Raider_69

Post Whore
greeneyed said:
I agree. I would not lose sleep about losing Tyran Smith, I have never thought he was any good. However, the problem for next year will be depth in the forwards if we did let him go, we would need to sign someone else. A swap for Withers isn't the solution.

exactly, a swap for Aston Simms would be nice, Dean Young even

Image having Weyman, O'Hara, Simms and Cross all in one team... unstopable, and would be for some time, all pretty young!
then your Al Rothery's, Josh Millers etc working 2nd off the ruck
:shock: :shock:

leave me alone, i can dream :lol:

Kris_man

Bench
I agree with everyone except IBG - the trade has to happen. i mean, look at the depth we have in the back row: Hindmarsh, Adamson, Martin, Hodgson, Miller (although he'll probably be used as a prop), Rothery, Kahler, Croker, J Smith,Tongue. Even Nathan Smith can play there. Look at the depth we have for hooker: Woolford, Lawrence, Tongue. Plus, Withers is just a good young player, and Tyran's going on 31.
here's the two case scenarios:
1) we have the opportunity to trade.
2) we don't have the opportunity to trade.

if its (2), fine, nothing we could do. but if its (1), the trade must be done, for this reason: we'll be a much stronger team both short term and long term with Withers part of our squad.

Brimmer

Juniors
Withers is one of those 'dynamic' players I rant about. Players like that are gold and shouldn't be overlooked.

I really want Withers but I have seen nothing official to suggest we will be getting him. For that fact is it 100% positive the Dragons will release him? :?

greeneyed

First Grade
I don't think our forward strength is all that good. Hindmarsh and Hodgson are first grade material, but they had their ups and downs last season including with availability. Miller I like but he is not that big. Rothery and Kahler have yet to prove they are consistently first grade standard, but have the potential. Jason Croker for lock, fine, but he is getting old. Tongue and Martin are definitely not first grade standard. They try their hearts out, bless them, but just not big and talented enough. Jason Croker, fine, but he is getting old and this season, he definitely showed he is slowing down. Adamson and Jason Smith are over the hill crocks and we bought Jason Smith for five eighth anyway. Tyran Smith is hopeless and not up to first grade standard either.

I am quite pessimistic about our forward ranks for next season, it NEEDS bolstering.

Fine, get Withers to cover for Woolford. But it doesn't change my earlier point. We need more in the forwards, after losing Davico and Wiki.

greeneyed

First Grade
It is official that the Dragons have given Withers permission to negotiate for next season with other clubs.

Withers hits harder than any forward you've mentioned ;-)

Next Year our PL boys really have to step up! i.e. Kahler, Rothery, Miller, Cross etc

GreenGuy

Withers was unfortunately one that got away form us. Fortunately we have the chance to fix that mistake.

Tidus_Raider

Bench
Why is it that it seems to take the raiders ages to work out a deal?

It's simple. Smith has 1 year left and IMO opinion is down the pecking order for backrowers at the club.

Wollford maybe has a couple of seasons (at most) left before he looks to England. We have Lawrence in PL but from the games he has played in NRL I dont think he is creative enough to be our no.1 hooker after Woolford. Withers, unlike Smith, if he signs will be around for a few more years and is someone the raiders can include in their future plans, be that as the starting hooker or impact player off the bench.

Latest posts