What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lincoln Withers Canberra bound?¿?

greeneyed

First Grade
Today's CT says the Raiders are making a play for Withers and are keen to keep Smith.

The report says the Raiders want an extra play maker in the ranks and Withers is at the top of the list. But Don Furner Jnr has denied the club plans to release Tyran Smith to the Dragons in a player swap. The club has reviewed its cap for 2005 and has room for one more signing. They want more depth in hooker or halfback and the club has been talking to the Dragons' Withers, Souths half Dean Byrne and former Raider Jason Ferris.

Withers, born in Canberra and a Raiders junior, played all 25 NRL games with the Dragons this year and is still contracted to the club. St George have, however, given him permission to negotiate with other teams, as they want more backrow depth.

Don Furner said the Raiders had not initiated any moves to release Tyran Smith. The Raiders preference is to keep Smith and sign one of Withers, Byrne or Ferris.

Ferris, 28, is currently with the Collegians club in the Illawarra league; they recently won the premiership. He started his career with the Raiders in 1996 and has played with the Cowboys, the Sharks and Sea Eagles.

Byrne, 22, is the Souths PL halfback and has played 6 NRL matches.

The Raiders are also looking to fill more spots in lower grades with 200 players invited to trial at Raiders HQ on Saturday.

The new Raiders so far:

Matt Adamson (Leeds, UK)
Jason Smith (Hull, UK)
Craig Frawley (Broncos)
David Howell (Dragons)
Michael Howell (Dragons)
Jermaine Ale (Roosters)
Damon Alley Tovio (Souths)
Bronx Goodwin (Sharks)
Ryan Hinchcliffe (Eels)
Clint Hill (Port Kembla)
Ben Jones (Redcliffe, Brisbane)

hrundi99

First Grade
I like the fact that they're being quite transparent about what they're doing.

It may drive a few prices up though...?

jed

First Grade
skeepe said:
Who are Ryan Hinchcliffe, Clint Hill and Ben Jones?

Hinchcliffe is a Parra junior player. A number of their fans are quite annoyed that another up & coming junior has been let go.

Kris_man

Bench
we don't need another prop with guys like weyman and cross, plus versatile back rowers like hindmarsh, hodgson and adamson. a hooker/half, imo, is exactly what we need.

Kris_man

Bench
This from the NRL Forum's "Rumour signings" thread:
Tigerpete said:
Just some Info on Lincoln Withers, it appears that the Tigers will not pursue their interest in Withers, leaving the door wide open for the Raiders to pick him up.
go and get him Raiders, now's your chance. If you don't, i may not ever forgive you...

hrundi99

First Grade
You would think that the budget for Withers would need to be bigger than for the likes of Byrne.

Is there enough cash left if we don't give Tyran the flick? That's the question.

Many people will disagree with me, but I think we should keep Tyran Smith. If he could work out his handling and propensity to have a brain explosion and give away a couple of stupid penalties a game, he would be a great player. He's the type of physical player we're lacking now that Wiki and Davico have moved on. Even though he had a couple of absurd brain explosions during the Roosters final, I loved how he went out there and tried to destroy the Roosters by beating the crap out of them. If he could just control his aggression and his handling he's be OK.