What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Line-up for 2011

boxhead

First Grade
Ok guys, I want your opinions on what will be the strongest Eels line-up for next year, and if you can, please provide reasons as to why so and so are in this particular position, and so on. As a note, only use players we have already signed, so no Matt Orford or JT or Cronk, et al. As a reference, I also won't include Reni Maitua as this line-up is for the start of next season.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading your discussions :)

The strongest 2010 Eels line-up for next year, at least to me, is;

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Joel Reddy
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior

I think the back-line is self explanatory, but with Ken Sio, Jacob Loko, Jordan Atkins, et al searching for spots.

6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Tom Humble

Humble is a proven halfback, and I think that if Robson is not used at halfback then Humble is the next best option, as he has at least tasted first-grade and seems to have adapted to it alright (he made a lot of effective tackles on debut, for instance). Of course, he will definitely have to be eased into the role. Pairing him with someone more experienced may be a more preferrable option as well. I think if Humble goes well and can organise the team well at a first-grade level, then Mortimer will feed right off of him.

8. Tim Mannah
9. Casey Mcguire
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Justin Horo

I think Mcguire would be a great starting hooker to pair someone less experienced in the role, not only to help our young hooker but also to help out our young halves as well; his experienced hand in a position like hooker could really help out our young playmakers. I think Tim Mannah may be best suited to starting, but him and Poore both are equally deserving of the role. I think Horo at lock gives us a great running strike weapon in the forwards.

14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Justin Poore
16. Shane Shackleton
17. Carl Webb

I think the first three are readily justified, but I think Carl Webb is our best option for fourth prop; I think if he genuinely wants to prove himself, then playing him off the bench as an impact player would be devastating if he plays to his potential.

Thanks again for your thoughts :D

IFR33K

Coach
Ok guys, I want your opinions on what will be the strongest Eels line-up for next year, and if you can, please provide reasons as to why so and so are in this particular position, and so on. As a note, only use players we have already signed, so no Matt Orford or JT or Cronk, et al. As a reference, I also won't include Reni Maitua as this line-up is for the start of next season.

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Joel Reddy
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior

I think the back-line is self explanatory, but with Ken Sio, Jacob Loko, Jordan Atkins, et al searching for spots.

6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Tom Humble

Humble is a proven halfback, and I think that if Robson is not used at halfback then Humble is the next best option, as he has at least tasted first-grade and seems to have adapted to it alright (he made a lot of effective tackles on debut, for instance). Of course, he will definitely have to be eased into the role. Pairing him with someone more experienced may be a more preferrable option as well. I think if Humble goes well and can organise the team well at a first-grade level, then Mortimer will feed right off of him.

8. Tim Mannah
9. Casey Mcguire
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Justin Horo

I think Mcguire would be a great starting hooker to pair someone less experienced in the role, not only to help our young hooker but also to help out our young halves as well; his experienced hand in a position like hooker could really help out our young playmakers. I think Tim Mannah may be best suited to starting, but him and Poore both are equally deserving of the role. I think Horo at lock gives us a great running strike weapon in the forwards.

14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Justin Poore
16. Shane Shackleton
17. Carl Webb

I think the first three are readily justified, but I think Carl Webb is our best option for fourth prop; I think if he genuinely wants to prove himself, then playing him off the bench as an impact player would be devastating if he plays to his potential.

Where is he proven, in the Under 8's. I was of the impression he is a fullback, who is being converted into a five eight.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Luke Burt
3. Joel Reddy
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior

6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Tom Humble

8. Tim Mannah
9. Casey Mcguire
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Justin Horo

14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Justin Poore
16. Shane Shackleton
17. Carl Webb

Halves might be ok at best, apart from that pretty good line up. I like the bench, cant wait for next season and hopefully Shackleton is 100% next season.

I'd only have one player in with one player out from your team, boxy, with the rest being positional changes.

1. Luke Burt
2. HaHa
3. Joel Reddy
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior

6. Tom Humble
7. Jeff Robson

8. Justin Poore
9. Casey Mcguire
10. Fui Fui Moi Moi
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Justin Horo

14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Tim Mannah
16. Shane Shackleton
17. Carl Webb

Eelementary

Post Whore
1. Hayne - self-explanatory.

2. Luke Burt - sorry, Sefton Boy :(. Handy goal-kicker, speedy, crafty.

3. Reddy - incumbent, never lets us down. But Jacob Loko is ready to take his spot. Loko is a f**king freak.

4. Tahu - all class when in form.

5. Eric Grothe, Jnr. - our best attacking winger. But IMO Daniel Tupou is a megastar of the future.

6. Humble - I'd put Morts there but realistically he needs a stint in Wenty. Humble is OK. Nothing flash.

7. Murray - better than Robso. Sorry, Robbo.

8. Mannah - ready to start. Our best prop.

9. McGuire - our best starting hooker option.

10. Poore - strong hits in defence and good metres.

11. Hindmarsh (C) - ....

12. Smith - improved his running game in '10. Strong defence and good running game now.

13. Shackleton - big, mobile unit.

14. Mitchell - spark.

15. Maitua (when available) - he's a handy utility.

16. Moimoi - Great impact off the bench.

17. Webb - if he trims down and gets fit, he'll be a great impact prop.

Tactically I wouldn't have Moimoi and Webb off the bench at the same time. The defensive holes would be awful.

Now, IF the thread was named, "What is the squad you'd like to see for 2011?", then I'd go:

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Loko
4. Tahu
5. Tupou
6. Humble
7. Murray
8. Mannah
9. Mitchell
10. Moimoi
11. Hindmarsh (C)
12. Smith
13. Shackleton

14. McGuire
15. Poore
16. Moimoi
17. O'Hanlon

I love Reddy and Guru but am really excited with the prospects of Loko and Tupou.

Joely01

Bench
Yeh why not.
1. J. Hayne
2. L. Burt
3. J. Reddy
4. T. Tahu
5. E. Grothe

Backline as you said Boxhead is pretty self explanatory.

6. D. Morts
7. T. Humble

Going to agree with you on this one.

8. J. Poore
9. C. McGuire
10. T. Mannah
11. N. Hindy (c)
12. B. Smith
13. J. Horo

14. F. Moi Moi
15. A. Mitchell
16. S. Shackleton
17. C. Webb

I cannot get over the idea of starting Fui on the bench, injecting him into the game around the 20min mark running at tiring players would get us on a massive role and keep the momentum that Poore and Mannah lay down for us at the start.
I dont have much more to add to what you have already said Boxhead.
Just that look at the 1, 6, 7, 15. and that is the future of our club, then with the likes of Mannah and smith Horo we have the ability to build a very very solid future.
Also wouldnt mind seeing co captains being used again, Hindy with one of the future captains in Hayne, Mannah, or Smith. But more then happy with Hindy leading the team out :D

Joely01

Bench
Where is he proven, in the Under 8's. I was of the impression he is a fullback, who is being converted into a five eight.

I have this thought aswell, i remember readin somewhere a few months ago or at the start of the year that he prefers Fullback and has played his best a Fullback.
But i guess with Hayne already there his only chance of first grade apart from 3 games during origin time is becoming a play maker.

jimmy13

Juniors
1. Hayne - self-explanatory.

2. Luke Burt - sorry, Sefton Boy :(. Handy goal-kicker, speedy, crafty.

3. Reddy - incumbent, never lets us down. But Jacob Loko is ready to take his spot. Loko is a f**king freak.

4. Tahu - all class when in form.

5. Eric Grothe, Jnr. - our best attacking winger. But IMO Daniel Tupou is a megastar of the future.

6. Humble - I'd put Morts there but realistically he needs a stint in Wenty. Humble is OK. Nothing flash.

7. Murray - better than Robso. Sorry, Robbo.

8. Mannah - ready to start. Our best prop.

9. McGuire - our best starting hooker option.

10. Poore - strong hits in defence and good metres.

11. Hindmarsh (C) - ....

12. Smith - improved his running game in '10. Strong defence and good running game now.

13. Shackleton - big, mobile unit.

14. Mitchell - spark.

15. Maitua (when available) - he's a handy utility.

16. Moimoi - Great impact off the bench.

17. Webb - if he trims down and gets fit, he'll be a great impact prop.

Those boys are all under 20's players who have yet to prove themselves against anyone other than their own age group. Loko looks good at times - however he also knows how to bomb a try and is unable to pass. Tupou has size but little else. What about players like Ken Sio - proven against players older than him.
Murray looks good but once again has yet to play a game against anyone other than a 19 yr old.
Rest of the side looks good.

Djay

Juniors
1. Hayne - Is a freak, simple as that.
2. Burt - Great goalkicker and finisher.
3. Sio - Anyone who can attack better then Reddy.
4. Tahu - Is a true gun, when in form.
5. Grothe - Makes so many metres from our own end.
6. Mortimer - Give him a another go if not, time for Humble.
7. Murray - Anyone over Robson, he is not FG standard.
8. Poore - I wanna see him start, I reckon he can lay a good platform.
9. McGuire - Better then MK, not very hard.
10. Fui - Lay a platform with Poore.
11. Hindmarsh - Hindmarsh is Hindmarsh I guess.
12. Smith - Great defender, but is lucky to be in my team. Needs to get rid of silly errors and needs to be able to attack a bit more.
13. Shackleton - Proven First Grader.

14. Mitchell - Spark, sharp. Quality IMO.
15. Mannah - Absolute legend and is great impact.
16 Horo - Great running back rower.
17. Webb - Is deadly at his best.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade

Before he came to play for us this year, he played halfback in the QLD Cup and apparently the only halfback better than him in that competition was Trent Hodgkinson.
Basically he is a very talented and adaptable utility.

CrazyEel

Bench
I think the fact he finished top 4 in both the Player Of The Year and Best & Fairest awards for Qld Cup playing 5/8 prior to joining us is proof enough he can handle the position.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
My side;

1. Jarryd Hayne
2. Joel Reddy (or burt the one who shows the best form in the trials)
3. Loko ( if he has a big opff season and shows form in the trials)
4. Timana Tahu
5. Eric Grothe Junior

6. Daniel Mortimer
7. Brad Murray ( don't let me down boy, all you need to do is kick good)

8. Justin Poore
9. Casey Mcguire
10. Tim Mannah
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ben Smith
13. Shane Shackleton (big boys on first, then Horo can come on and show his skills)

14. Anthony Mitchell
15. Fui Fui Moi Moi (getting older best in the last 20 in the first half)
16. Justin Horo
17. Carl Webb ( hopefuilly he gets fit)

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
1. Hayne - Is a freak, simple as that.
2. Burt - Great goalkicker and finisher.
3. Sio - Anyone who can attack better then Reddy.
4. Tahu - Is a true gun, when in form.
5. Grothe - Makes so many metres from our own end.
6. Mortimer - Give him a another go if not, time for Humble.
7. Murray - Anyone over Robson, he is not FG standard.
8. Poore - I wanna see him start, I reckon he can lay a good platform.
9. McGuire - Better then MK, not very hard.
10. Fui - Lay a platform with Poore.
11. Hindmarsh - Hindmarsh is Hindmarsh I guess.
12. Smith - Great defender, but is lucky to be in my team. Needs to get rid of silly errors and needs to be able to attack a bit more.
13. Shackleton - Proven First Grader.

14. Mitchell - Spark, sharp. Quality IMO.
15. Mannah - Absolute legend and is great impact.
16 Horo - Great running back rower.
17. Webb - Is deadly at his best.

good side except I don't think Sio has played much centre in the last two year mainly fullback and winger

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'd prefer Loko, but you boys reckon his a fair way off FG?

look at my line up. From the games I have watched which isn't a lot, the guy is a freeak. He has the size and I reckon with a big off season he would be ready. He may be hot and cold in his first couple of years in the NRL, however I am sure his hot games will be brillant and his cold games won't lose us the game!!!!

Djay

Juniors
look at my line up. From the games I have watched which isn't a lot, the guy is a freeak. He has the size and I reckon with a big off season he would be ready. He may be hot and cold in his first couple of years in the NRL, however I am sure his hot games will be brillant and his cold games won't lose us the game!!!!
Haha, Yer I was just being realistic. If it was up to me he would be playing. He is a freak and will be a star of the future.

CrazyEel

Bench
He needs to apply himself a bit more consistently but from what I have seen he is playing at least as well if not better than Lyon was at the same development stage and that is already enough to make him better than Reddy IMO.

offside ref

Juniors
1-hayne
2-tahu
3-reddy
4-loko
5-grothe
6-humble
7-murray
8-poore
9-mcguire
10-moimoi
11-hindy(c)
12-smith
13-horo

14-mortimer
15-mannah
16-shakleton
17-webb

18-mitchell
19-burt

murray robson compete for half spot if all else fails mcguire. morts as a hooker/half option but mitchell will be at his heals. burt as much as i love him i cant see a reason other then goal kicking to keep him. id like tahu on the wing because with him and guru and hayne at the back we have 3 solid options.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
He needs to apply himself a bit more consistently but from what I have seen he is playing at least as well if not better than Lyon was at the same development stage and that is already enough to make him better than Reddy IMO.

yep agree, I see it this way, if he plays poor will he lose us the game - highly unlikely. If he plays strongeely it is likely he will have a hand in us winning the game !!!

Latest posts