What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lions team to play the Jets

Hate doesn't even START to cover it.

I'm absolutely disgusted.

First the feckin' Bulldogs are allowed to nick our socks, then THIS outrage.

I was able to find this pic of the current Auckland Lions jersey (Vs. Parra).

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/story.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10430575
24EvarnTuimavave.jpg

Nevertheless, the club they (kind of) spring from are the Mt Albert Lions. Their colours are gold and royal blue. Here are pics of their jersey from 2005:

http://www.pbase.com/windrider/lionsvbulls

48738712.BUCKINGHAM_Steve_133592.jpg

So therefore, they have some slight claim to a Parra-esque jersey, but none to ours.

It's an atrocity that the oldest club in Australian league has been forced (or worse still, volunteered) to wear another club's jersey just so a brand-new club can avoid wearing a jersey that looks too much like Parramatta.

Feck it! The blow ins (both 1947 and 2007) should have to sort it out between them.

Another proud tradition pissed on by scum.

Also note the seat colours at their ground (it was their home ground, right?).

Gold with a bit of blue.

Thanks a heap, D. Fitzgerald!

Happy with the win, but feel the price was way too high.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
I don't agree with being called scum, but you were rather fecked over.

I blame the NSWRL - they should have demanded Lions jersey details sooner in order for both clubs to have better contingency plans. I assume the Lions will wear the Warriors away strip in Rd 21 - unless they've had the good sense to get a reverse colours jersey done up.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
The Dawson Twins Minus 1 said:
Also note the seat colours at their ground (it was their home ground, right?).

Also, to be fair yellow and blue seats have been in place at Mt Smart before the Warriors were around

Dougal, I'm not calling YOU scum, only the folks that demanded Australia's original club abandon their jersey or those who acquiesced to it.

Whether it was the NSWRL, D. Fitzgerald of Parramatta (he'd be a prime contender, in my book) or worse still, Jets folk, whoever they may be, who went along with it.

Whatever happened to "the jersey is non-negotiable"?

I'd rather we forfeited.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Dougal, I'm not calling YOU scum, only the folks that demanded Australia's original club abandon their jersey or those who acquiesced to it.

Whether it was the NSWRL, D. Fitzgerald of Parramatta (he'd be a prime contender, in my book) or worse still, Jets folk, whoever they may be, who went along with it.

I'd rather we forfeited.

The tag of scum should only be levelled at one rugby league team - they hail from the shire.

TBH i'd rather you forfeited too

Henson Park Hornets said:
Yeah that's what I thought after seeing those pics. It's OK for a trial BUT they'd better not be wearing any red when the boys take the field for the opening game of the season!

Jeffles said:
As if they would be - we both know that would not happen.

I was largely impressed with the fit out. It was the most, "uniform," a Jets team has looked in a trial for a long time. I'm used to seeing shorts and socks from across the NSWRL/QRL/RFL spectrum.

Well looks it did happen. Whats next home games on bondi beach? The evil empire conspires against us and we look the other way, f**k this.

I'd rather we forfeited.

Protest?

2 True Blues

Coach
I can`t believe Newtown allowed their players to take the field.
Is this the beginning of the end???
I felt great about the win until I saw those pictures. We should demand an explanation from the club. This must not happen again.
Imagine if you went over for the match and saw "that "running onto the pitch.
A major disgrace.

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
2 True Blues said:
A major disgrace.

exactly 2TB, I'd have walked out in protest. Words escape me really..........

Jeffles

Bench
Here's the story - all facts and no bull.

Dec 2006: Auckland Lions accepted into NSW Premier League. Newtown asks NSWRL for an image of the Auckland jersey as a report suggested Auckland may be wearing blue. None is given. Newtown also ask for clarification re; jersey rules. None is given.

Early March 2007: Newtown still have no reply from the NSWRL, and after we played our last trial we are then suddenly told that they will have to wear an away strip. Newtown argue against that as;

1) We've never had to in 100 years.
2) As the new team, Auckland should change like Penrith did in 1967.
3) Even if we wanted to , we haven't been given enough notice to change our jersey.

NSWRL respond with something like, "too bad - wear something else." Newtown ask, "where does it say in the rules what the law is re; jersey clashes?" The NSWRL refer us to the NRL Operations Manual (which they say we were bound by in the absence of any perticular rule in the NSWRL Operations Manual) - an absolute copout from Phillip St.

Newtown ask the Roosters for a white jersey as there was no time to arrange anything else.

Believe me we were gutted. I spent a packet to go to Auckland and watch the game and so did some directors and sponsors. The sponsors pay good money to be on the jersey and for the NSWRL to treat them and the fans like this is disgusting. The club did not volunteer this at all. Sponsors pay for exposure on the jersey and the directors are some of the most passionate supporters of the blue jersey, having put shedloads of their own money and/or worked tireless hours for nothing. After 100 years, this is something nobody at the club wished to happen. FFS, the only club to have worn largely the same jersey since day dot and we get told to change at a moment's notice. The Phillip St Follies work against us yet again.

In the end, we were not going to forfeit the game. Even some Roosters officials lamented that this had to happen. They felt sorry for us knowing all the history.

NSWRL ==> pissup ==> brewery. You do the math. The club is gutted that it had to do this.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Father Dougal McGuire said:
The tag of scum should only be levelled at one rugby league team - they hail from the shire.

TBH i'd rather you forfeited too

Thats a bit harsh coming from a kiwi! Consider yourself lucky your even in our comp champ!

greg

Juniors
Great win, however totally tarnished by the jerseys. This is f#@king disgraceful. This must never happen again and I agree with Die hard P/T Jet Fan, white T-shirts would have sufficed. We could have got creative and used a big blue texta and handwritten a big "N" on each of them. The NSWRL need to be brought to task in regards this. We also need an away strip by the looks of things (which I used to be against). Nothing fancy, white jersey, 3 blue hoops on sleeve and the sacred N on the chest.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Die-Hard p/t Jet Fan said:
oh i feel sick.....I thought us wearing the socks in the trials was bad...... f**k this sh*t

they wore the roosters shorts & socks in the trials because the majority of them were flegg players, Chris Anderson had 12&13 man benches, thin skinned people like you are the reason clubs like newtown, balmain and west are no longer stand alone clubs, move with the times, the roosters foot the bill for all but coaching and support staff.
What I would like to know is why wasn't there an alternate strip prepared? what about the Newtown sponsors? in my eyes it looks like the club (newtown) have very little gratitude for there varied financial supporters

I cant wait to see the explanation to this incident, everybody but Newtown will be blamed for this, you mark my words

I JUMPED THE GUN AND POSTED MY REPLY BEFORE READING THROUGH TO THE END OF THE FORUM PAGE, HENCE MY 2ND & 3RD POST

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
2 True Blues said:
I can`t believe Newtown allowed their players to take the field.
Is this the beginning of the end???
I felt great about the win until I saw those pictures. We should demand an explanation from the club. This must not happen again.
A major disgrace.
read some of my various other opinions referring to the way the club is run!!! you all still wish to bag me for saying it as i see it??

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Jeffles said:
Here's the story - all facts and no bull.

Dec 2006: Auckland Lions accepted into NSW Premier League. Newtown asks NSWRL for an image of the Auckland jersey as a report suggested Auckland may be wearing blue. None is given. Newtown also ask for clarification re; jersey rules. None is given.

Early March 2007: Newtown still have no reply from the NSWRL, and after we played our last trial we are then suddenly told that they will have to wear an away strip. Newtown argue against that as;

1) We've never had to in 100 years.
2) As the new team, Auckland should change like Penrith did in 1967.
3) Even if we wanted to , we haven't been given enough notice to change our jersey.

NSWRL respond with something like, "too bad - wear something else." Newtown ask, "where does it say in the rules what the law is re; jersey clashes?" The NSWRL refer us to the NRL Operations Manual (which they say we were bound by in the absence of any perticular rule in the NSWRL Operations Manual) - an absolute copout from Phillip St.

Newtown ask the Roosters for a white jersey as there was no time to arrange anything else.

Believe me we were gutted. I spent a packet to go to Auckland and watch the game and so did some directors and sponsors. The sponsors pay good money to be on the jersey and for the NSWRL to treat them and the fans like this is disgusting. The club did not volunteer this at all. Sponsors pay for exposure on the jersey and the directors are some of the most passionate supporters of the blue jersey, having put shedloads of their own money and/or worked tireless hours for nothing. After 100 years, this is something nobody at the club wished to happen. FFS, the only club to have worn largely the same jersey since day dot and we get told to change at a moment's notice. The Phillip St Follies work against us yet again.

In the end, we were not going to forfeit the game. Even some Roosters officials lamented that this had to happen. They felt sorry for us knowing all the history.

NSWRL ==> pissup ==> brewery. You do the math. The club is gutted that it had to do this.
Hey Muppet man,

you seem to know a lot about the club and the running of the club, answer all of us on this forum one simple question>

do you honestly expect us supporters to believe for one minute the NSWRL would only notify you (as stated) a weeks notice????

FFS (as you also imply) there may be someone out there that will accept this as an excuse, but not all of us

If this is the case well I hope someone's head will roll in at the NSWRL.

If it isn't well there should be a massive clean out of these so called hard working directors at the Jets for letting this happen

* post the person we all should be notifying our thoughts and disgust to at the NSWRL, if it is there fault i urge all Newtown fans to bombard the NSWRL and vent our disapproval*

ozbash

Referee
agree about the strip, although auckland was playing league before newton...

its not the mt albert strip, its definitely not the auckland strip , when i first saw it i wondered why we looked like the jets...

i,d be a bit sour on it if it was my clubs colours..

we arn't scum.

2 True Blues

Coach
Whenever we played teams with copy colours before we`d wear dark blue shorts. We never gave up our jerseys and wore those of another club. I agree I would have preferred a t- shirt
This must not happen again.