What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lions team to play the Jets

This is what I said;

'To whom it may concern,

Just wish to express my disappointment that the oldest Rugby League club in Australia was forced to wear an alternative jersey to its traditonal royal blue jersey. Tradition and history of the game must be recognised and whilst I totally support the expansion of the Premier League to include the Auckland Lions, I am disgusted that they be allowed to select a jersey so similar to the Newtown Jets. Newtown fans over the decades have experienced some appalling bureaucratic decisions and this appears to be another one. Please take action to ensure that the Newtown Jets are allowed to continue to wear their traditional colours so that the proud history of the Newtown Jets is respected. '

No response yet.

THECURSEDJET said:
The point that is of most concern to me is that, Newtown , I am told, had been notified that an alternate jersey would be required,

I have an issue with this statement.

The NSWRL advised the Newtown club that an alternate jersey because the Auckland team had submitted a jersey design that was similar to what the Jets jersey is? On what grounds should the Newtown club have to break one hundred years of tradition?

Why did the NSWRL refer the Newtown club to the NRL operations manual re: the clash of jerseys? Isn't there a precident when Penrith entered the comp in '67 that says the new team has to find a alternate jersey design/colour scheme if their current set up is too similar to the clubs that are alredy playing in the competition?

This is what I've jsut sent to feedback@nswrl.com.au

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to put across my sadness that the Newtown Jets club were forced to wear another clubs jersey in last weekends game against the Auckland Lions.
As the oldest club still in existence, they have the right to wear the same jersey that they have worn for the past one hundred seasons every week. Surly as the new team in the competition, the Lions should have been forced to wear an alternative jersey as their jersey design was so similar to the Newtown jersey?
I am proud that the Newtown club has had the same jersey for the past one hundred years and not suffered fools and had to change their jersey to fit in with the marketers’ idea of what a rugby league jersey should look like. The Newtown jersey represents not only the club but the district, and most of all traditional rugby league.

I thank you for your time.

Kind regards,

Bluebag

Juniors
TCJ,

You make a valid point that a press release should have been made and I agree however to correct you YET again, ( I feel like a human correction fluid) Col Murphy as has been stated by Jeffles was supported bythe board 100% however Col Murphy had offered his resignation the year prior, making that season his last season but then then wanted to stay on. Murph was unfortunate in that during his time as a Newtown coach he never had an NRL influence to learn off, he did leave the Jets to coach PL at Wests under Tommy for a few seasons and then when we returned to First division the club showed murphy the loyalty we are famous for and gave him the job again.
TCJ, I enjoy your posts they certainly raise the tempreture in thr forum but sometimes you go off half-c**ked like John Wayne Bobbitt at times.

THECURSEDJET

Juniors
Henson Park Hornets said:

I have an issue with this statement.

The NSWRL advised the Newtown club that an alternate jersey because the Auckland team had submitted a jersey design that was similar to what the Jets jersey is? On what grounds should the Newtown club have to break one hundred years of tradition?

Why did the NSWRL refer the Newtown club to the NRL operations manual re: the clash of jerseys? Isn't there a precident when Penrith entered the comp in '67 that says the new team has to find a alternate jersey design/colour scheme if their current set up is too similar to the clubs that are alredy playing in the competition?

Hornet,

your passion for Newtown is great to see, you say why should Newtown break with 100 years of tradition? I agree, then I look at clubs like the roosters who are the only club in the history of the game to have played every season for the past 100, I also ask why the in my opinion the most famous club in history St George are made to wear an alternate strip? there is really no club in the competition that they clash with, and to answer my own question to a degree, it may have something to do with there merger with illawarra!
Look, I will say this again, I too am disapointed, but I have, and I would like to think that I am not the only Newtown supporter, rang NSWRL regarding this matter, and once again, I will repeat that I was informed by them that Newtown had been informed an alternate jersey would be required!
Tradition, loyalty and history look in my eyes to mean very little in a world that is now consumed in the almighty dollar.
As for your post Jeffles has mentioned exactly what you have quoted above, 1967 is 40 years in our past, we must learn to live for today and tomorrow, not yesterday or the past 40, 50 or 100 years.

TCJ: nice to see you were able to respond without name calling to Hornets post! Easts, St George and St George/Illawarra play in different comps to the Jets, that is why they looked after by the NRL who have different rules regarding the away jerseys.

koslecki

Juniors
Newtown Jets fan said:
TCJ: nice to see you were able to respond without name calling to Hornets post! Easts, St George and St George/Illawarra play in different comps to the Jets, that is why they looked after by the NRL who have different rules regarding the away jerseys.

According to NSWRL they use the NRL operations manual in regards to away jerseys!

greg

Juniors
I've E mailed my 10c worth to the NSWRL:

Dear Sirs:

I am informing you today of my disgust as a Newtown Supporter in seeing that the oldest team in Australian Rugby League had issues when it came to wearing their jersey against the Auckland Lions last weekend. I am all for the Auckland Lions taking part in the Premier League competiton but progress must never be at the price of treasured traditions such as the Bluebag Jersey. Such decisions are almost a throw back to a decade ago when Ribot and his cronies almost destroyed the game with their "vision". The NSWRL are one of the custodians of this great game. Surely they are aware that the biggest selling retro series jersey in the last couple of years has been the mighty royal blue jersey of Newtown. Come on NSWRL, lift your game, ensure this serious breach of common sense does not occur again.

Greg J.
GOLD COAST QLD
Bluebag Supporter)

greg

Juniors
Media Release from Newtown RLFC on change of jersey

Written by: Barry N. Vining
March 27th, 2007 05:16 PM

image.php
[z]2033[/z] Here is some information concerning the circumstances that led to the Newtown Jets RLFC VB Premier League team playing in colours other than their traditional royal blue jerseys last Sunday at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland.

The Newtown Jets had no alternative other than to play in Sydney Roosters white jerseys on Sunday at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland, due to the late approval given to the Auckland Lions to join the NSWRL VB Premier League competition.

In addition, the Newtown club had not been officially advised as to the irreconcilable clash of colours between the two teams until early March which did not allow our club enough time to have a suitable alternate strip manufactured.

The Auckland Lions colours are royal blue and white and there was a clear case for the visiting team, in this case the Newtown Jets, to wear an alternative strip to avoid confusion for everyone concerned. Auckland’s rugby league colours date back to 1910 and are very much part of the long history of rugby league football in the City of Sails.

The Newtown Jets wish to thank the Sydney Roosters for the loan of the alternative set of jerseys on last Sunday, and to also assure the Jets’ loyal fans and sponsors that the Newtown club will be playing in the famous traditional royal blue jerseys on all occasions for the remainder of this season.

The Jets will wear an alternate design royal blue and white jersey when they next play the Auckland Lions in Auckland in 2008. This will allow the Newtown club ample time to prepare their alternate strip which will only be used for this one away game each season. I again stress that last Sunday’s change of playing strip was a completely one-off occasion brought about through unusual circumstances.

Barry N. Vining
President
Newtown Rugby League Football Club.
27th March 2007

I just found the above on the NRL forum.

greg said:
Media Release from Newtown RLFC on change of jersey

Written by: Barry N. Vining
March 27th, 2007 05:16 PM

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/image.php?imageid=2033[z]2033[/z] Here is some information concerning the circumstances that led to the Newtown Jets RLFC VB Premier League team playing in colours other than their traditional royal blue jerseys last Sunday at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland.

The Newtown Jets had no alternative other than to play in Sydney Roosters white jerseys on Sunday at Mt Smart Stadium in Auckland, due to the late approval given to the Auckland Lions to join the NSWRL VB Premier League competition.

In addition, the Newtown club had not been officially advised as to the irreconcilable clash of colours between the two teams until early March which did not allow our club enough time to have a suitable alternate strip manufactured.

The Auckland Lions colours are royal blue and white and there was a clear case for the visiting team, in this case the Newtown Jets, to wear an alternative strip to avoid confusion for everyone concerned. Auckland’s rugby league colours date back to 1910 and are very much part of the long history of rugby league football in the City of Sails.

The Newtown Jets wish to thank the Sydney Roosters for the loan of the alternative set of jerseys on last Sunday, and to also assure the Jets’ loyal fans and sponsors that the Newtown club will be playing in the famous traditional royal blue jerseys on all occasions for the remainder of this season.

The Jets will wear an alternate design royal blue and white jersey when they next play the Auckland Lions in Auckland in 2008. This will allow the Newtown club ample time to prepare their alternate strip which will only be used for this one away game each season. I again stress that last Sunday’s change of playing strip was a completely one-off occasion brought about through unusual circumstances.

Barry N. Vining
President
Newtown Rugby League Football Club.
27th March 2007

WOW,

all this over a set of jerseys!!!

poor comunication seems to be the blame

I just found the above on the NRL forum.

bluebag43 said:
The Jersey is everything!

Don't you get it!

I get it alright, idiots like you wouldn't know the meaning of organisation and communication, read through the post, there are no two people with the same story related to the incident, there is blame being pointed at both party's, neither party are willing to accept responsibility, nor have they been willing to communicate with the supporters who feel betrayed by what has happened.
that is the reason for my comments, not the fact Newtown were unable to wear there jersey.
i may only be new to this forum, but let me tell you one thing you rude, obnoxious bastard, i will stick you size 43 head into a blue bag if you intend to be an arrogant upstart:crazy:

2 True Blues

Coach
THEGROUNDANNOUNCER said:
I get it alright, idiots like you wouldn't know the meaning of organisation and communication, read through the post, there are no two people with the same story related to the incident, there is blame being pointed at both party's, neither party are willing to accept responsibility, nor have they been willing to communicate with the supporters who feel betrayed by what has happened.
that is the reason for my comments, not the fact Newtown were unable to wear there jersey.
i may only be new to this forum, but let me tell you one thing you rude, obnoxious bastard, i will stick you size 43 head into a blue bag if you intend to be an arrogant upstart:crazy:

Are you actully serious ???. Like you said, you are new to the forums. Yet you then throw stupid abuse at BB43 and threaten him. Thats what I consider to be rude and obnoxious. As a new person to these forums ( like you said ) perhaps you should show a little bit of tact and and a touch of respect yourself.

Arrogant upstart. Thats gold, Are you actually serious or am I missing some kind of private joke. ???

greg

Juniors
A bit over the top Groundanouncer. Opinions are welcome, but as 2TB stated, a bit of tact goes a long way.