What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lismore updates

Pazza

First Grade
i can understand why people would say finch didnt perform but i have no idea how our forwards did. Still waiting for a full report from MITS. Richys handling errors sound criminal, people say it doesnt matter but opposition teams feed off errors. It makes the difference between winning and losing

Stagger eel

Staff member
Pazza said:
i can understand why people would say finch didnt perform but i have no idea how our forwards did. Still waiting for a full report from MITS. Richys handling errors sound criminal, people say it doesnt matter but opposition teams feed off errors. It makes the difference between winning and losing

from what MITS told me Richie's handling errors were definitely the difference between winning and losing.

dazeely

First Grade
we had to be titans first victory. will be splashed all over the news up here especially with the bongos losing in england. thems the brakes. trials mean jack sh*t in the long run. Hope the injuries mentioned are only minor. Good hit out for the lads. Can't wait for season kickoff. I'm excited.......

Pazza

First Grade
hopefully its a one off, but if he is captain butterfingers he can stay in the lower grades

Ant

Juniors
Look if Grothe isn't injured I would be happy. I think as long as you don't get smahsed in a trial with most of your top side its no big deal.

They are mainly about giving everyone a run and trying some things, if you try things and they fail in trials there are no consequences. The titans had pretty much everyone on the paddock so it would have been a good run for our blokes.

If you have been a parra fan for a few years you will know trial form means very little. There was a stage there a few years back where we won every trial, yet would then start the season with 1 win out of the first 5 games repeatedly.

So hope Grothe didn't get injured, glad to hear we dominated early. And we have 2 aussie players to return, in what will be a very close comp.

Gronk

Staff member
Titans and Rogers rusty but do enough for historic win

Daniel Pace
February 25, 2007

FORMER Wallaby Mat Rogers had a quiet return to the NRL as the Gold Coast notched their first victory - a come-from-behind win over Parramatta in a lacklustre trial last night.

The Titans trailed 10-4 after 70 minutes before crossing three times - twice through second-rower Gavin Cooper and also via co-captain Scott Prince, easily his team's best player.

Rogers was understandably rusty after a five-year absence but, then again, so were the Eels and his teammates. The 31-year-old didn't touch the ball until 12 minutes into an error-riddled match. He knocked on a difficult pass and later dropped another tough ball directed above his head.

Dual international Rogers, who quit rugby union in December to join the Titans, saw very little ball throughout the remainder of the half and was rested for the second 40 minutes.

Sydney Roosters recruit Brett Finch also failed to make an impact at five-eighth for Parramatta alongside No.7 Tim Smith.

A near full-strength Eels, missing only Test duo Nathan Hindmarsh and Timana Tahu, dominated the early exchanges and were rewarded in the 10th minute when Joel Reddy fed the ball for Jarryd Hayne to score in the left corner. Fullback Luke Burt missed the conversion.

The rest of the first half turned into an arm wrestle before Kiwi international and Titans winger Jake Webster put a wicked step on Hayne to cross in the right corner. Former Eels centre Brett Delaney missed the extras for a 4-4 half-time score.

Parramatta edged ahead 10-6 in the 50th minute through a converted try to Reddy. Back-rower Todd Lowrie sent a beautiful pass to the centre, who carried rookie Smith Samau over the line in the right corner.

Prince engineered a try for Cooper with a well-weighted grubber in the 71st minute and then scored one himself two minutes later to give the Titans a 16-10 advantage.

Cooper capped a pleasing night when he latched on to a Matt Hilder bomb and scored again.

NSW Origin and Eels winger Eric Grothe left the field early in the match with a suspected ankle injury, while Titans back-rower Brad Myers went off five minutes before half-time with his ankle heavily iced.

GOLD COAST 22 (G Cooper 2, J Webster, S Prince tries; C Walker 3 goals) beat PARRAMATTA 10 (J Reddy 2 tries; L Burt goal) at Oakes Oval, Lismore. Referee: B Cummins. Crowd: 8612.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/t...or-historic-win/2007/02/24/1171734076827.html

Gronk

Staff member
Titans get first win

By Peter Badel

February 25, 2007 12:00
Article from: The Sunday Telegraph

Font size: + -

Send this article: Print Email

THE Titans last night gave the Gold Coast a winning football team again - their first since July 11, 1998, some 3150 days ago.

Former Wallaby utility Mat Rogers returned to football after six years as the Titans celebrated a gutsy victory over Parramatta.

The Eels suffered an early injury blow, NSW Origin winger Eric Grothe not appearing for the second quarter after damaging ankle ligaments. He will be assessed today.

Gold Coast also had a setback in the 35th minute when former Queensland and Test forward Brad Meyers limped off with what appeared a serious ankle complaint.

After losing their opening trial 32-6 to Melbourne last week, the Titans rolled out their big guns. With Rogers, Scott Prince, Luke Bailey, Preston Campbell and Jake Webster on deck, the Titans looked set for defeat as Parramatta led 10-4 with 10 minutes to play.

But three tries in nine minutes - two to back-rower Gavin Cooper - clinched a watershed 12-point triumph. Co-captain Prince led a superb fightback, setting up Cooper's first try in the 71st minute before crossing himself three minutes later.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright revealed that Prince refused to come off midway through the second half, underscoring the side's determination to win.

"We tried to treat it as more than a trial, you don't want to go into a competition at any level not winning a game,'' Cartwright said.

"We fielded two sides but I'm very proud of both of them. They went out there and aimed up.

"I was really happy with Prince. That's the reason we got him here, he was the best on the market. We brought him here to lead us and he was fantastic.

"The plan was to play him for 60 minutes but when the time came he didn't want to come off. That said it was more than a trial to us.''

Playing his first NRL match in six years, Rogers played the opening 40 minutes but saw little action in the centres.

While the Titans will yearn for more cohesion in attack for their season opener against the Dragons on March 18, their defence needs no refinement.

The Eels dominated possession throughout the match but struggled to penetrate a desperate Gold Coast defensive line inspired by warhorse Luke Bailey.

Parramatta coach Michael Hagan said the Titans - listed as equal favourites for the wooden spoon with Canberra - would be a threat.

"They've got some very good players,'' Hagan said.

"I don't know if their depth is as good as some clubs but if they stay healthy they will be more than competitive and that is the beauty of this competition.''

GOLD COAST 22 (G Cooper 2, S Prince, J Webster tries; C Walker 3 goals) PARRAMATTA 10 (J Hayne, J Reddy tries; L Burt goal). Referee: Ben Cummins. Crowd: 8612.

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,,21282883-5006066,00.html

Utey

Coach
Hope Grothey isn't hurt too bad :s

Sounds like Fui had a ripper of a game as well! Hopefully, he has worked even more on his technique.