What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live coverage of American qualifiers

Pommy

Coach
Jamaica big forwards layed the platform

Canada now eliminated from the RLWC2021. Jamaica now into the decider on the weekend

It depends when they decide the rankings for the world play off.
Although both Jamaica and USA rank above them so it’s unlikely they will feature.

Pommy

Coach
Jamaica were a class above, and I think they will even beat the USA now. On paper, I think they have the better team, they are pretty much all semi-pros. Whereas USA are missing a lot of their big names that played in the WC last year.

Viewing figures were pretty good, averaging between 550-650 viewers, and peaking at 720 in approx. the 30th minute.

What big names, the US side was a fully domestic team at the World Cup.

siv

First Grade
The way the games a lined up for Saturday

2 winners playoff - winner qualifies / loser world repocharge.

With the two losers playing off - in theory to decide 1st 2nd 3rd 4th in group

Although if Jamaica beat the US and Canada beat Chile on the weekend, there should be a US v Canada game to decide the 2nd place Americas slot

Evil Homer

Staff member
It depends when they decide the rankings for the world play off.
Although both Jamaica and USA rank above them so it’s unlikely they will feature.
What, no Canada are out and the loser of USA vs Jamaica on Saturday will play off with South Africa and Cook Islands next year.

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
One loss and your out? What a joke....wales lose won and still make it....scotland lose all three and can still make it...

Evil Homer

Staff member
One loss and your out? What a joke....wales lose won and still make it....scotland lose all three and can still make it...
That's the format, it's a straight knockout as the Americas only have 1.3 qualification spots whereas Europe has 6.

siv

First Grade
So Chile also eliminated. Not surprised as it was their first tournament

Canada look like they dropped back a level or Jamaica stepping up a level

Last edited:

Western_Eel

Juniors
So Chile also eliminated. Not surprused as it was their first tournament

Canada look like they dropped back a level or Jamaica stepping up a level
I thought Jamaica looked very good, will be a good game next week i think

Pommy

Coach
What, no Canada are out and the loser of USA vs Jamaica on Saturday will play off with South Africa and Cook Islands next year.

Yes you’re right pacific and Middle East are both done on rankings not the American spot.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Canada will improve for the next world cup considering there is four more years for locals to get a run with the Wolfpack, some Wolfpack players may be poached under the residency rules and they have a good young halfback that will only get better.

Congrats to the USA and Jamaica on the win and also to Chile for stepping up to this level - they will lead the way forward in South America. It is great to see that the newly formed South American teams will get a chance to play regular tournaments through the new Americas Championship.

46118437_1124990154328908_3396803631981264896_n.jpg

langpark

First Grade
You're not seriously comparing Canada to Wales are you? Or North America to Europe? One continent has about 20 active nations, the other has 3. Well, 4 eligible nations if you count both continents. Of course the WCQ process will be different.

I think the Americas can be happy with the 1.5 spots they receive. And this qualification format was essentially 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3, with the winners facing off in the final. It's fair given the time and resource constraints involved. So if Canada cannot beat Jamaica, you'd have to assume they cannot beat the USA, so I don't see how they can feel hard done by.

langpark

First Grade
You assume USA will beat Jamaica
No I don't. But going into this, they were considered #1 in the group, while Canada-Jamaica were 2-3, and Chile obviously #4. It does not take a genius to know that.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Yes you’re right pacific and Middle East are both done on rankings not the American spot.
That's the official line, in truth the Cook Islands and South Africa are the only nations from the Asia-Pacific and MEA regions that currently meet the criteria to enter the World Cup and aren't already qualified. They probably would've had proper competitions in those places if there were any other nations that were eligible to compete. Hopefully next time there will be some more Asian and African nations ready to enter and we can have proper qualifying comps in all regions.

Fun fact, the only eligible nation that didn't participate in the qualifiers this time round was Holland.