What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live League on Nine?

gregstar

Referee
i know this has been done to death ;-) but with channel nine re-negotiating the cricket rights to include full live broadcast into the city hosting the test match unlike before (unless sold out), surely they'll consider live footy on friday night / sunday arvo?! is it 2005 or f*cking 1956?

personally i wait until 11:00pm and watch it on fox (add free) because i find a game drawn out over 2.5 hours f*cking painfull. the momentum is ruined by adds & you can forget what has happened by the time play resumes.

Mr Saab

Referee
if the game is great i tape the foxtel version at 11pm.
Friday night i want live...sunday doesnt concern me that much.

Hindyscrack

Bench
I think it should be shown live around Aus with the new deal and on delay in the home city unless it is sold out.

Any thoughts?

Mr Saab

Referee
see greg, you have mocked it. ;-)
To be honest i am very nervous with tonights game...more so than when he broncs played the dragons.
I dont have many games on tape that brisbane have lost.

Crack...how many games are sold out?

c_eagle

Juniors
NRL knocked back live games from 05 onwards on Friday night. They didn't want to go head to head with the gate.

Channel 9 aren't going to invest in a new show for prime time, while missing out either Brisbane or Sydney every week. It's either all live or nothing.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
gregstar said:
personally i wait until 11:00pm and watch it on fox (add free) because i find a game drawn out over 2.5 hours f*cking painfull. the momentum is ruined by adds & you can forget what has happened by the time play resumes.

I agree

funny when you are watching it on Fox, with no adds, and after a try or scrum, Rabs says "welcome back" when you haven't been away.

eelandia

Juniors
I'd rather have it on at 8.30 and delayed - gives you a chance to have a few beers and a feed after work on Friday, then come home for the game. 7.30 is too early but would be good for kids.

dimitri

First Grade
should be live

however if not

ALL REP GAMES MUST BE LIVE

INLUDING CITY/COUNTRY ORIGIN, STATE OF ORIGIN, TESTS, WORLD CUP ETC ETC

oldmancraigy

Coach
I really think that the NRL needs to stand up for themselves.

Face the facts - the game is popular, and the attendance numbers PROVE that it just keeps on growing in popularity!!

It is the NRL who hold the key bargaining chip, and not channel nine - Friday night footy is pretty much one of the top rating shows each and every week - the NRL is in charge!

SO, with that sorted out, what they need to do is this:

Tell nine that they may buy the rights IF they will show both Friday and Sunday games live. If they won't, then I'm certain 10 and 7 will put their hands up.

Sell a Saturday night game to someone other than Fox - soon there will be 8 games a weekend, one would imagine that means 4 on a Saturday - or maybe they revert to 4 on a Sunday. Either way, there is an extra game each week, it would be great for nine to hand over that game to nine - or if they aren't willing, 10 or 7 - or even the ABC!

Make Fox do something with the rights - it's a big drawcard for people to sign up to Foxtel, so why not make them show Premier league games on delay throughout the week? OR (a more realistic solution) make them screen the trial games - get people fired up for the start of the season!

And if ALL rep matches aren't live then it is just plain ridiculous!

oldmancraigy

Coach
Unknown Pleasures said:
Last weekend in NSW there was five AFL games on free-to-air, but only two NRL games. Is it just me or is that pathetic?

That IS pathetic! NRL needs to stand up for themselves this time round!

Taiwan RL fan

Juniors
I agree that it sounds like the NRL gets a poor deal from Channel 9 and it should be live not delayed....but be careful what you wish for.

5 games on FTA is too much in my opinion. One of the things that the NRL does well is keep people hungry for more. AFL is just moving wallpaper.

As an aside rugby union has just made the classic mistake of diluting their product by extending the Tri-nations to three tests each. Fans were already tired of the format and they have just exacerbated the problem and devalued their domestic footy even further. Its a dumb dumb decision by them and good news for RL

griff

Bench
c_eagle said:
NRL knocked back live games from 05 onwards on Friday night. They didn't want to go head to head with the gate.

Is that true? I haven't heard that before.

If so, that's ridiculous.

When TV first came into English RL the clubs were all dead set against ever allowing TV to show the game, fearing it would impact on gates. Wigan even locked out BBC cameras on a couple of occasions.

Live TV coverage doesn't impact on the gate at all. In fact it is the opposite, more people are likely to go to events with live TV coverage. This is because people like to be involved in big events with lots of people watching.

Even if it did impact on the gate, the benefits from live coverage would easily outweigh the small loss of crowds.

If they are trying to grow interest in RL, blocking live primetime coverage is a pretty silly way to go about it.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Taiwan RL fan said:
5 games on FTA is too much in my opinion. One of the things that the NRL does well is keep people hungry for more. AFL is just moving wallpaper.

Is that why 80 000 people pack the MCG to watch Collingwood play Essendon in a regular season game??

Latest posts