What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

live updates trial saints v dogs

watatank

Coach
Anyone who went to the game did Ben Creagh or Jack Bosden play? I was looking forward to watching both play but I couldn't remember them at all.

Bosden only played in the NSW cup game. Looked good for the 15 minutes he was on, mostly defending.

Creagh played the first half - we still played the short ball from Hornby the Creagh on the fly. Didn't pay off tonight.

Not one of the better games from the top squad. Sowie looked pretty flat and his timing was a bit off. Lett and Nightingale made the most of their opportunities.

watatank

Coach
Thanks for that.

It wasn't a great performance from the halves...but to put things in perspective we're well ahead on last year.

drago brelli

Bench
Bosden did not get any time in 1st Grade trial. Tagive injury doesn't look. Have to wait for scans. Some of the fringe pklayers looked very good, eg: stanley (keep him long term) he could play centre in 1st grade. Saffy did well in the b team. Prior has put on muscle and played front row. He went well. Hunt played lock in thye B team and was the best player. Nightingale was very good and of course ST George Illawarra are lucky to have Morris, he is dynamic. Beau Henry looked promising but probably needs to put on a few more kilos. Idris ran at him but then he is hard to tackle for any player. Weyman was also very good. St George Illa were a little lucky to win. The match wasn't on radio in Wollongong. It's a trial afterall. No trial is on radio anywhere in NSW. Go easy on the 'Gong.

thommo4pm

Coach
Creagh was injured and left the field after about 15 minutes, got replaced by Thorby. Never came back on.

Jeremy Smith was heavily involved in the first half.

Prior & Weyman tried hard.
Dean Young was in-effective.

Morris & Fien were the standouts by a long way.
Tagive was looking ok, he was running hard while he was out there.

Greenfield in the 2nd half was woeful.
Green & Thorby were a long way ahead of where he was.
I appreciate it was Greenfield's first game back for some time, but he has a long way to go to push for a first grade spot based on tonight's effort.

Merrin did some nice hit-ups.
Kyle Stanley held his own against strong opposition.
Thought Marketo tackled well.
Saffy tackled ok, but his hit-ups hardly bent them backwards.
Dan Hunt would have been very happy to see Green & Thorby come in with 15 minutes to go in the second half to get some help.

The 2nd half we literally had Dan Hunt and Prior (playing in the centres) as our regular 1st graders out there.
The dogs in the 2nd half had everyone except Kimmorley & Patten on the field at some stage.
Morris, Idris, Hannant, Hodgson, Stagg, Roberts, Ennis, Turner, Halatau, Hickey, Warburton, Paea and more all played at least half if not all of the second half for the Dogs...so our young guys did us proud in that second half.

Rex Terp

First Grade
Agree with thommo4pm's analysis.

I didn't take a whole lot out of this game to be honest. Overall, I thought Fien at hooker had us looking sharper out of dummy half than last year. I thought Prior was excellent at prop. And of the second string players, I thought Thorby was very good.

Although we won, I thought overall the Dogs were better than us when the top players were on, but it was a close run thing. We had a lot of ball and field position in the first half and struggled in attack. Defence was good.

St. Linnane

First Grade
Fair summary Thommo.

I'd add the following:

Prior was awesome, first half played prop and left and right second row. Second half played 20 odd minutes at left centre.

drago brelli

Bench
Dean Young played lock. Smith will have to go back to that position. Young should be 9. Looks like the Dragons might be weaker in the backrow this year. Prior might have to play front row and some second row. Drags do have Costigan to come back. I wonder if that Bosden can live up to his potential and eventually go into the backrow. I think coach Bennett likes him. Ricky Stuart certainly did, from all reports.

thommo4pm

Coach
The best part of the night was all the idiot Dogs fans in the stands chanting and screaming when their basically full strength team where up 8-0 after 10 minutes of the second half against our U/20's team basically.....then when Vickery scored and Goodwin converted, they all started saying it's only a trial.
We turned and said to them, you weren't saying that 25 minutes ago when our young blokes were getting belted.

I think our young fella's at the start of the second half had a bit of stage fright, but came good in the end, and to be honest I think in the last 20 minutes they were the better team by a fair way.

One of their fans even said to me, look at these 4-5 blokes we have sitting on the sideline, I said to him look at the 16-17 we took off at half time....he quickly shut up.

St. Linnane

First Grade
Smith was more effective at 2nd row than he has been at lock. I would rather see him stay out wide right.

thommo4pm

Coach
Dean Young played lock. Smith will have to go back to that position. Young should be 9. Looks like the Dragons might be weaker in the backrow this year. Prior might have to play front row and some second row. Drags do have Costigan to come back. I wonder if that Bosden can live up to his potential and eventually go into the backrow. I think coach Bennett likes him. Ricky Stuart certainly did, from all reports.

Dean might find himself on the bench or out of the 17.
He wont be hooker.
His service from half when Fien was tackled or unable to get there was poor.
Fien's service, darts, defence and general kicking was superior to anything seen by Dean last year....and I'm a fan of Dean Young.

Prior wont be prop.
Weyman, Hunt, Green, Merrin will be the rotation.
The backrow is fine.
Creagh, Smith, Prior, Scott (if need be), Costigan, Marketo, Young and some others...we are ok for depth there.

thommo4pm

Coach
Smith was more effective at 2nd row than he has been at lock. I would rather see him stay out wide right.

Agree, he looked very dangerous tonight running at the right hand side of our ruck, a little wider than last year....targetting their left side defence.

drago brelli

Bench
thommo,
Who will replace Fein. Teams normally have a quick player out from dummy half in the last 10 or 12. Or will Fein stay on the whole game.

thommo4pm

Coach
Fien I'm sure can play 80, much the same as Cam Smith does for Melbourne, Ennis for the Dogs etc....it frees up another spot for a forward on the bench.

Young is not quick enough to play number 9 for us.
Lett would be a good option at 9 if we needed back up.

watatank

Coach
I think Greenfield is going to become one of my favourite players this year. He made a few mistakes tonight but you can sense his quality. He will reach levels none other than Weyman will, IMO. I'm calling it now, if he stays injury free he will be one of the buys of the season.