What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loaning Players

In European Football clubs loan players and it got me thinking could it work in our game.

At present the Roosters have a half back trying to discover some form in resere grade after missing for a long while. In Newcastle we have the unfortunate injury to Andrew JOhns today and the Knights really are up against it. Is it a perfect opportunity for the NRL to give the Knights the option (salary cap exempt) for them to use Firman and pay his wages or part there of whilst playing for them. The Roosters get a more match fit Firman back and Newcastle get a replacement with first grade credentials.

Foz

Bench
Excellent idea. But..
What happens though if the Rooster half is also injured and you want him back?
You cant have blokes chopping and changing all year.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Southern Rooster said:
In European Football clubs loan players and it got me thinking could it work in our game.

At present the Roosters have a half back trying to discover some form in resere grade after missing for a long while. In Newcastle we have the unfortunate injury to Andrew JOhns today and the Knights really are up against it. Is it a perfect opportunity for the NRL to give the Knights the option (salary cap exempt) for them to use Firman and pay his wages or part there of whilst playing for them. The Roosters get a more match fit Firman back and Newcastle get a replacement with first grade credentials.

In the English Premier League you can't loan a player to a club in the same division...

Foz

Bench
Southernsaint said:
Southern Rooster said:

In the English Premier League you can't loan a player to a club in the same division...

How does that work?
El Hadj Diouf is a Liverpool player on loan to Bolton.
They must be able to do it from the start of the year.

OVP

Coach
Southernsaint said:
Southern Rooster said:

Not true Ben. Aston Villa got Carlton Cole from Chelsea. Its actually more like a mini contract ... once a player is loaned, he cant really come back without serving the term of the loan period. There is a danger in the loan system because of this.

Southernsaint

Staff member
OVP said:
Southernsaint said:
Southern Rooster said:

Not true Ben. Aston Villa got Carlton Cole from Chelsea. Its actually more like a mini contract ... once a player is loaned, he cant really come back without serving the term of the loan period. There is a danger in the loan system because of this.

D'oh - just ignore me, then. Buggers must've changed the rule at some stage.

Morientes knocked out his team while playing on loan at Monaco from Real Madrid...

tiburon

Juniors
OVP said:
Southernsaint said:
Southern Rooster said:

He can come back it just depends what stipulations are within his loan contract. Carlton Cole couldn't return from Villa back to Chelsea because it doesn't give Chelsea the option in the contract to retain him before the contract expires.

Most loan contracts don't allow the original players team to recall the player though but give the option to the loaning club to cancel the contract such as in Forssells contract at Birmingham.

C.P

Juniors
Its a good idea in theory and it does work well in soccer where its an accepted part of the game. The fact that there is no salary caps in place in soccer always means clubs (especially the richer ones) will often have benchloads of surplus talent waiting in the wings as a back up on big money and its for the good of the club to get them regular game time
But in the NRL I can just see the minute an 'on loan' player has the game of his life against the club that loaned him out and the ensuing problems.
The fans would be ropeable that they loaned the player out, the coach would be spewing they didnt play like that while at the club and the CEOs would be looking into the loopholes in order to get them back to the club quicksticks, and the media would be having a field day as to HOW the club could loan out this potential superstar. Not to mention the innuendo that would follow a players move to a certain club over another and the rumours of backhanders that would follow.
To many headaches in the end i think.

tiburon

Juniors
That's why in the soccer they often have stipulations within the contracts that say players loaned out from clubs can't play against the club that loaned them out.

Foz

Bench
In the EPL and Europe for that matter you can be cup-tied.
ie if you play for one club in a competition you cant play for another.
I dont think Diouf is allowed to play against Liverpool either. Whether thats all clubs policy I dont know.

In the original case I reckon its a good idea.
Firman cant play against the Roosters and once his term is up straight back.
Dont know the clubs would be that generous though.
You might get the odd club that thinks a player could benefit.
Might get a player throwing a few hospital passes too. :lol: :lol:

markstan

Juniors
I half thought about this a few years back, however came to the conclusion it wouldn't work. Theoretically it might seem nice but there's, major financial hurdles, plus it's not likely with such a even competition at the moment that clubs are going to help there competition fast track there players. Also put yourself in the players point of view there hardly going to get a full welcoming by the team? Dont get me wrong it would be great fast tracking players and development etc but i dont think many clubs no matter in how much despair would be to welcoming of the idea.

AlexM

----
this is how it works in the EPL.

Bolton have loaned El Hadji Dioufus from Liverpool right?

Dioufus can play in the EPL but he cannot play against Liverpool.

Thats how the loan system works

tiburon

Juniors
AlexM said:
this is how it works in the EPL.

Bolton have loaned El Hadji Dioufus from Liverpool right?

Dioufus can play in the EPL but he cannot play against Liverpool.

Thats how the loan system works

No it doesn't, players can play against their own clubs if the club allows it. e.g. Jermaine Pennant playing against Arsenal when he was at Leeds last year.

bartman

Immortal
Ethal said:
They do it in the ESL too.

True. In Superleague, clubs have squads of 25-30ish players. If a club knows they won't need a surplus back or forward, then it's not unusual for these to be loaned to other clubs on a month by month basis - helps the strugling clubs, as well as keeps the player (usually a young prospect) match fit.

Seemed a strnage idea when I first moved to England from Sydney, but seems to work here with no problems...

Latest posts