What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lock of the year

Lock of the year

• Tonie Carroll

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Tony Grimaldi

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Alan Tongue

Votes: 61 40.7%
  • Ben Kennedy

Votes: 53 35.3%
  • Dallas Johnson

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • Paul Gallen

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Glen Morrison

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trent Waterhouse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Louis Anderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ashley Harrison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luke O'Donnell

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Kirk Reynoldson

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
lockyno1 said:
Dead set, the 2nd best lock this year has been Dallas Johnson. Tongue has been good but so what, you don't get Dally M awards for being "solid" in terms of play. Kennedy and Johnson are the top 2.

How is scoring more tries than any other forward in the comp, and making 150 more tackles than anyone in the comp just "solid"?

Tongue is far more than a "solid" player and anyone who watches the raiders games would know that.

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:
How is scoring more tries than any other forward in the comp, and making 150 more tackles than anyone in the comp just "solid"?

Tongue is far more than a "solid" player and anyone who watches the raiders games would know that.

Tackles are just a stat to me. You can tell what player Tongue will be. He will be solid, just above solid on a good day. He is not a blockbusting lock. These are the locks that get the awards. That is the reality. Therefore Kennedy, Johnson, O'Donnell, Gallen, etc will all be favoured over tongue. Tackles are fine but its the other things that determines whether you win awards or not. Yes he scores tries, but that is just one indicator. Off-loads, try, assists, etc. I am betting Kenndy will be no1 in both those categories probally for a lock forward.

Raider Azz

Bench
JJ said:
again, while Tongue deserves respect - even being second is a joke.

Lot's of raiders fans, I guess
if tongue played for one of the glamour sydney clubs he would be talked up. yes ben kennedy will win lock of the year but surely tongue deserves a little more respect then some of you blokes are giving him. 11 tries and over a thousand tackles for the year is a little better than just "solid"

Raider Azz

Bench
lockyno1 said:
Tackles are just a stat to me. You can tell what player Tongue will be. He will be solid, just above solid on a good day. He is not a blockbusting lock. These are the locks that get the awards. That is the reality. Therefore Kennedy, Johnson, O'Donnell, Gallen, etc will all be favoured over tongue. Tackles are fine but its the other things that determines whether you win awards or not. Yes he scores tries, but that is just one indicator. Off-loads, try, assists, etc. I am betting Kenndy will be no1 in both those categories probally for a lock forward.
you're a f**king moron

lockyno1 said:

Just shows you know nothing about the game. Paul Gallen has been absolutley disgracefull since his origin. Any sharks fan would tell you that. He was even dropped to the bench.

Do you even watch the games or do you just base your comments on reputation?

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:
Just shows you know nothing about the game. Paul Gallen has been absolutley disgracefull since his origin. Any sharks fan would tell you that. He was even dropped to the bench.

Do you even watch the games or do you just base your comments on reputation?

There is still 3 other locks that I have mentioned apart from Gallen, and yes I watch the games incl. Raiders games. They are all more damaging and hence these locks tend to get the awards. That is the reality mate. It is the way it is, and fair enough really. Tongue is a above solid first grader. Nothing wrong with that at all, much better than most of us. But to get a award you need to be something special.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Raider Azz said:
11 tries and over a thousand tackles for the year is a little better than just "solid"

Tackles are just a stat. I don't think Swain got hooker of the year when he got the record either, feel free to correct me if I am wrong there. Just making tackles is fine. Tries are fine but that is just ONE statistic. The 2 more important ones are off loads and try assists.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Tongue for me, wouldnt trade him for any lock in the comp
Couldnt care less if you think im biased, Tongue has had a phenominal year, by anyone's standards, let alone his own. Kennedy has been good. And will take the minor placings with Dalas Johnson

That said, Kennedy will win it, he plays for a sydney club and will score more points then the little know tongue who before about round 17 wasnt even getting raps from the media.

Tonguey was the best lock in 2006, no doubts for me :)

lockyno1 said:
There is still 3 other locks that I have mentioned apart from Gallen, and yes I watch the games incl. Raiders games. They are all more damaging and hence these locks tend to get the awards. That is the reality mate. It is the way it is, and fair enough really. Tongue is a above solid first grader. Nothing wrong with that at all, much better than most of us. But to get a award you need to be something special.

Just the fact that you mentioned Gallen shows to me how much footy you watch apart from the Broncos games.

To me, someone who breaks the all time tackling record in a season and scores more tries than any other forward in the comp is something special, or has at least been something special that year.

The comment that tackling is "just a stat" shows even further lack of knowledge of rugby league.

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:
Just the fact that you mentioned Gallen shows to me how much footy you watch apart from the Broncos games.

To me, someone who breaks the all time tackling record in a season and scores more tries than any other forward in the comp is something special, or has at least been something special that year.

The comment that tackling is "just a stat" shows even further lack of knowledge of rugby league.

As I said Swain did not win hooker of the year the year he broke the record. Feel free to correct me, but I am pretty sure he didn't win it. So there are other factors that must be deemed more important and rightly so otherwise Fitzgibbon would have won the award every year! Get us the offload and the try assist stats. I am betting Kennedy is better in those 2 categories. So therefore Kennedy will win it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
#13 in your programs, #1 in your hearts

ALAN TONGUE!

"We love you Tonguey! We do!
OHH TONGUEY, WE LOVE YOU,
OI OI OI!

The Preacher

First Grade
Ben Kennedy is a moral to win lock of the year. He'll be a shorter price than the Lions v's Christians in 12BC :clap:

lockyno1 said:
As I said Swain did not win hooker of the year the year he broke the record. Feel free to correct me, but I am pretty sure he didn't win it. So there are other factors that must be deemed more important and rightly so otherwise Fitzgibbon would have won the award every year! Get us the offload and the try assist stats. I am betting Kennedy is better in those 2 categories. So therefore Kennedy will win it.

i would say try scoring is one of the most important stats. Tongue is better than any other forward in the comp for that.

try assists - Ill look into it and get back to you

Neither player is in the top 20 try assists, so neither player has had more than 10 try assists all year. You could hardly say Kennedy is better in that area.

willvillain

Juniors
Just out of curiosity, what was Tongue's best game this year metre-wise?

Or how many games this year did Tongue back up his tackles with 200m?

Tongue's had a fantastic year, but in the space of one outrageous thread he has gone from being one of the comp's most underrated and underappreciated players to a player who is being so wildly overpraised that it simply defies logic.

MSIH

Bench
You Raiders fans are funny.

Tongue deserves respect, but not 23 votes of it, compared with Kennedy's 24.

Raider_69

Post Whore
SLIP IN THE TONGUE!

This thread is proving just how under-rated the bloke is. Tonguey, whatta legend!

MSIH

Bench
Tongue made 89 metres last game, which has been described by Raiders fans across the planet as "Lazarus Like".

Disco

Bench
Raider Azz said:
if surely tongue deserves a little more respect then some of you blokes are giving him.

Everyone in the thread has said that tongue has had a remarkable year, we are only pointing out that it is ridiculous to have him over BK as lock of the year

You raider fans being so oneeyed is just going to turn people against tounguey

Latest posts