What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lock of the year

Lock of the year

• Tonie Carroll

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Tony Grimaldi

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Alan Tongue

Votes: 61 40.7%
  • Ben Kennedy

Votes: 53 35.3%
  • Dallas Johnson

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • Paul Gallen

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Glen Morrison

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trent Waterhouse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Louis Anderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ashley Harrison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luke O'Donnell

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Kirk Reynoldson

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Raider_69

Post Whore
im fairly sure tonguey missesd 2-3 games during this season with injury.
Could be wrong as im unsure weather he toughed it out and played with injury, or if the pain was that bad not even tonguey could take the feild

my memory is hazey on it

Raider Azz

Bench
Disco said:
Everyone in the thread has said that tongue has had a remarkable year, we are only pointing out that it is ridiculous to have him over BK as lock of the year

You raider fans being so oneeyed is just going to turn people against tounguey
what did i say, that kennedy will win lock of the year and deservedly so (another raiders junior btw ;-)). my post was directed at knobs like lockyno1 who said players like gallen, o'donnell and johnson all had better years than tongue. which is ridiculous.

as for raiders fans overhyping tongue, well r69 is just taking the piss, but it just goes to show how popular tonguey is to us. wouldn't trade him for any player.

willvillain said:
20 or 21?

More like 24 big fella.

I think he missed a game with a hip injury. For some reason I thought there was only 22 games this year. I know there were a couple of games where he was playing with a fairly bad hip injury

sydraider

First Grade
JJ said:
wow - is this rigged? Are there that many one-eyed Canberra fans? Or do people in this forum (well 50% of them) not understand footie?

Good thing is, the real thing won't over-sample Canberra fans

Raiders fans arent that bad, you claim to not understand why he is getting more votes than kennedy. If you seen this little champion week in week out, play above his weight, you would probably understand. I know kennedy is a better player than Tongue, talent wise, but honestly, you cannot begrudge the champion of ginger people the beast of a season he has had.
Was said by 69 I think, that he wouldnt trade tongue for any other lock in the game, I agree wholeheartedly.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Azz, i take offense to that, i would never take the piss

back on tonguey, a mate at the storm game remarked to me "hey Nick, is that red head for your blokes talking to himself, or does he converse with the almighty"
i replied in kind "to find his equal, alan tongue is forced to converse with the almighty"

fair call too IMO

Raider_69

Post Whore
E-I, E-I, E-I O!
Off to sydney we will go
when we win the finals, this is what we'll sing
We are raiders, we are raiders
tonguey is our king!

willvillain

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
I think he missed a game with a hip injury. For some reason I thought there was only 22 games this year. I know there were a couple of games where he was playing with a fairly bad hip injury

NRL.com has him down as missing no games.

It also shows that his best metres gained this year was 91 metres (in the heavy loss to the Roosters), and then 90 metres (in the big win over the Roosters).

It looks like he'd average in the mid 60s for metres per game, most of his games are around this area with the odd high 80 as well as games where he made as little as 20 metres.

There is more to a game than tackling - otherwise Manly would play with Luke Williamson instead of Ben Kennedy.

squiddy

Juniors
If I had a choice of lock it would be between Grimald (horribly underated) Dallas Johnson or Ben kennedy . Some good candidates in that list

legend

Coach
MSIH said:
Hold the phone, Alan Tongue has played more games. Game over, well done Alan.

Tongue has had a top year for his standards, but he is so far away from BK's level it's farcical he is only 6 votes behind as I type.

You are another moron to hold the forums to ransom with your stupidity.

For Tongue to play every game and be the leading tryscorer among forwards and leading tackler overall shows durability, which Kennedy certainly doesn't have and has never had.

Raider_69

Post Whore
your right, there is more to a game then tackles
like tries, try assists, line breaks, games played, minutes played, work load, saving tries... all of which tongue is on par or better this season then Kennedy :)

willvillain

Juniors
squiddy said:
If I had a choice of lock it would be between Grimald (horribly underated) Dallas Johnson or Ben kennedy . Some good candidates in that list

Underrated as he may be, Grimaldi has been playing a lot of hooker this year. Maitua should be the Bulldog option, and he should've got a number of votes as well - he's been in great form recently.

willvillain said:
NRL.com has him down as missing no games.

It also shows that his best metres gained this year was 91 metres (in the heavy loss to the Roosters), and then 90 metres (in the big win over the Roosters).

It looks like he'd average in the mid 60s for metres per game, most of his games are around this area with the odd high 80 as well as games where he made as little as 20 metres.

There is more to a game than tackling - otherwise Manly would play with Luke Williamson instead of Ben Kennedy.

So what about Tongues 11 tries compared with BK's 2? The BK of years gone by has been deadly close to the try line always breaking tackles and scoring tries. I would expect more than 2 tries from ben Kennedy in an entire season.

Tongue has been a far more dangerous prospect close to the line with his great support play and footwork.

For someone who makes 50+ tackles a game, you would have to expect that the metres gained would be slightly lower than others.

Disco

Bench
OK so i have done a statistical analysis, assuming each stat is equal

How it works, is whoever has the better of a stat gets 100 points, with the other getting there % of the first in points (eg if tongue ate 3 apples and BK ate 1, tongue gets 100 points, BK 33.3)

Tackles
Tongue - 1040 (100)
Kennedy - 487 (47)

Tries
Tongue - 11 (100)
Kennedy - 2 (18)

Try Assists
Tongue - 1 (100)
Kennedy - 1 (100)

Line Break Assists
Tongue - 2 (40)
Kennedy 5 (100)

Line Breaks
Tongue - 9 (100)
Kennedy - 4 (44.5)

Offloads
Tongue - 14 (25.5)
Kennedy - 55 (100)

Metres gained
Tongue - 1500 (51)
Kennedy -2927 (100)

Hitups
Tongue - 219 (65.5)
Kennedy - 334 (100)

Kennedy 612.5
Tongue = 582

MSIH

Bench
legend said:
You are another moron to hold the forums to ransom with your stupidity.

For Tongue to play every game and be the leading tryscorer among forwards and leading tackler overall shows durability, which Kennedy certainly doesn't have and has never had.

Is your first statement an attempt to look intelligent? Because it failed.

Keep looking at one or two aspects of a forward's game if you will, but for you to even contemplate thinking Tongue is anywhere near Kennedy's league shows who the real moron is.