What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lock of the year

Lock of the year

• Tonie Carroll

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Tony Grimaldi

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Alan Tongue

Votes: 61 40.7%
  • Ben Kennedy

Votes: 53 35.3%
  • Dallas Johnson

Votes: 12 8.0%
  • Paul Gallen

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Glen Morrison

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Trent Waterhouse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Louis Anderson

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ashley Harrison

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Luke O'Donnell

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Kirk Reynoldson

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
Tongue, not many players in the NRL rack up 50 tackles a game and have the energy to back up in attack tackle, after tackle after tackle, and putthe grubber for themself through at the end of the game

Of course raiders fans are going to be biased towards him, because he does so much for the team that nobody else seems to see, comparing kennedy and tongue is like comparing laurie daley and benji marshall, both players are in a class of their own in what they do, daley was probably one of the best orgranisers and kickers ive seen (I grew up through the golden era for the raiders) and benji has to be the best running 5/8 ive ever seen.

Point being, both players do for their teams two completely different things, kennedy is the old school hit it up do all the hard yards forward type of lock, where as tongue is more a behind the scenes doing all the sh*t that nobody else seems to do (saving and scoring tries in our case) making the tackles, scoring the tries, its what he does.

You simply cannot compare the two and have an outright winner.

MSIH said:
Yes you can, and his name is Ben Kennedy.

You really must have been dropped on your head as a kid if you believe that, Kennedy is an awesome player, tongue is an awesome player, both, as I said, do two different things for their teams that make them unique, and if you can't see that then you truly are a f**kin imbecile mate.

Dutchy

Immortal
AT and BK - two totally different locks.

Lets leave it to the pros and argue after their decision is made

MSIH

Bench
Get back to me when Tongue has played for NSW and Australia. Tongue couldn't even crack the Country side ffs (he should've imo, but that's a different story).

I can handle some of your blokes saying he is up there in terms of 2006, but if how i've interpreted your second last post is correct, you're saying they're equal players over the length of their careers. Now that's imbecile status.

Btw, your comparison between Daley and Marshall is also ridiculous. Marshall is nowhere near Daley's level yet.

If Tongue doesn't make the Tri-Nations squad and some hack like Waterhouse (I haven't noticed him since the end of 2004) I will go to the selection pannel and upper cut every single one of them

mxlegend99

Referee
Marshall_magic said:
If Tongue doesn't make the Tri-Nations squad and some hack like Waterhouse (I haven't noticed him since the end of 2004) I will go to the selection pannel and upper cut every single one of them
What does it matter? He may of been named in the train-on squad. But he won't be playing for Australia. You'll see the Blues or Maroons locks play before he does. He's just a name on the list incase of however many injuries :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
The kangaroo's could do alot worse for a versitile, impact benchie then Alan Tongue

he wont get the gig but he wouldnt look out of place imo

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yes he would. He's a lock and thats it. If you want someone who is versatile they will go with Shaun Berrigan as he can cover the back positions as well as the forward positions. Tongue has had a good year. I don't think anyone is disputing that. Tri-nations...not yet. SOO should come first.

philstorm

Juniors
Would Johnson make the Tri-Nations squad ahead of Tongue? I'm definitely not suggesting that he's had a better yet, but being in the Queensland squad (who's selectors will have a big say in the matter) - will that go in his favour?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Definately will go in his favour. The other things that will go in his favour are:

a) O'Donnell is the current lock and has been injured, suspended and has hardly any match fitness after not making the finals. Melbourne should AT LEAST make it to the preliminary finals.

b) Combination with Cameron Smith who will be the hooker.

IMO Johnson will be picked in the squad.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Yes I know that. Berrigan can play hooker, 5/8, halfback, centre, backrow (filled in in Origin 1 there if you don't remember). That is a lot more versatile. If they are looking for a versatile player they will probally go berrigan. I know tongue can play a few positions but they are all forward positions.

luke duke

Juniors
I must be in the padded cell thread!!!...It's sacrilidge to even mention Tounge's name in the same breath as Kennedy. U Canberrs fans will get your reality check against the dogs.

Riiiiight, so typical, underestimate us at your own peril.

I never compared the two, If you lot could read, I said that there is no way you can compare them because they are two different types of player, and they both play their strengths incredibly well.

Red_Devil

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
actually locky, tongue can play back row and hooker
So can Neville Costigan, but that doesn't mean he's any good at it. Tongue's an ordinary hooker at best. Quality lock tho, definitely 2nd best this year after Kennedy.

JJ

Immortal
VictorTheViking said:
You simply cannot compare the two and have an outright winner.

How do you suggest coming up with a lock of the year then??