What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locky is #1

bluesbreaker

Bench
Charlie Saab said:
breaker...what kileld lockyer last yr was a broken rib. Which he played with since the test match in newcastle vs the kiwis. That fact doesnt sit with you does it as it shoots down your argument....you clown.

When someone starts throwing stats at me like "Tackles, try assits, line breaks" then i switch off. Stats dont tell you the full impact of ones game. You might tugg off to them, but i dont.

Lockyer played crap in origin last year. Fact. I know his injury played a part in why he was average toward the end of the year, but let's not forget Johns played with a punctured lung and carved up, and has carried injuries his entire career and still carves up.

Explain to me how it shoots down my argument? My argument is, Lockyer is a better fullback than 5/8th, and he doesn't deserve to be 5/8th over Barrett. My argument has always been this, even when we were arguing about it in the origin forum after origin #2. Which one of us was proved correct about Lockyer? That's right, I was. Barrett is the form Australian 5/8th of the comp, and he deserves to be selected there with Locky being pushed back to fullback.

Stats don't tell the full impact, I agree 100%, but it tells you bits and pieces of information. To switch off only shows how ignorant you are because they don't ever suit your argument. As the playmaker, he should be setting up tries, that's his job.

Who cares though? next year the exact same thing will happen, and we'll be having this argument again in 12 months time.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
hmmmm.....

Great fuggen player
or
Great fuggen player
or
Great fuggen player

Must be hard for coach.

aussies1st

Staff member
Lockyer showed during last year Tri Nations what he can do at 5/8. He was brillant.

Mr Saab

Referee
Breaker.

Johns might be able to play with injury. Some players cant. Doesnt make them any les of a player.
I am just bewildered as to how a player who has missed just 2-3 tests since 1998 can
be suddenly dropped when he has played average for some 6 weeks of the yr.
Yes Lockyer had a very avg origin campaign, but he isnt the sole reason why they failed.
As for stats, they are for 12 yr olds who get excited when they look at football cards. There were no stats like we have today in the 80s and it didnt lessen the impact of players then...so why should it now.
Lockyer might well be a better 1 than 6, but he is a 6 now and nothing can change that really. Minichiello has emerged as a great fullback.

Anyway, refer back to posts 40 and 42.

bluesbreaker

Bench
I don't for a second count carving up the Poms as an accolade to wear as a badge of honor, especially when that's your one achievement of an entire season. Every half we've fielded over the last decade has done it.

And anyways, remind me who was the player of the Tri-Nations last year? Minicello wasn't it? Yeah, thought so.

Year before that (not tri nations obviously) was Kimmorley, right? Guess that means Kimmorley is as good as Lockyer.

Razor

Coach
Kiwi said:
So Razor ( and anyone else who wants Lockyer dropped ) are you saying also that Johns should never have been picked for NSW? He was in his own words on the footy show I think it was, in some of the worst form of his career leading up to the game.

Johns came back from injury. He just had 1 game prior to being selected. Lockyer was in poor form before his injury.

Lockyer was sh*t in Origin, Johns was a stand-out.

Mr Saab

Referee
Razor said:
Johns came back from injury. He just had 1 game prior to being selected. Lockyer was in poor form before his injury.

poor form before his injury?????? if he was sooo poor then how were they leading the comp? It wasnt because of Scott Minto and Leon Bott let me tell you.

ozboy

Juniors
To be fair to Darren Lockyer, he is the incumbent captain of the Australian team, and was in outstanding form up until the SOO series rolled around, where he was owned by every other half to play in the series bar Kimmorley. He also suffers from the fact Wayne Bennett's coaching style past it's used-by date quite some time ago, and opposition teams now know that if you take Lockyer out, you also take out the Broncos.

Barrett is the form 6, though realistically we all know that with Bennett as coach and the reputation Lockyer has, it would take quitre a bad patch of form to see him dropped.

What p****s me off is the inclusion of players like Shaun Berrigan and Tonie Carroll. It's as if it is the Broncos own little way of rorting the salary cap, you sign with us for less money than what you would get elsewhere and we'll guarentee you a QLD and Kangaroo jumper in return.

Thinking about it, it probably is true.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Charlie Saab said:
poor form before his injury?????? if he was sooo poor then how were they leading the comp? It wasnt because of Scott Minto and Leon Bott let me tell you.

Because they have a bullsh*t forward pack :p

bluesbreaker

Bench
ozboy said:
To be fair to Darren Lockyer, he is the incumbent captain of the Australian team, and was in outstanding form up until the SOO series rolled around, where he was owned by every other half to play in the series bar Kimmorley. He also suffers from the fact Wayne Bennett's coaching style past it's used-by date quite some time ago, and opposition teams now know that if you take Lockyer out, you also take out the Broncos.

Barrett is the form 6, though realistically we all know that with Bennett as coach and the reputation Lockyer has, it would take quitre a bad patch of form to see him dropped.

What p****s me off is the inclusion of players like Shaun Berrigan and Tonie Carroll. It's as if it is the Broncos own little way of rorting the salary cap, you sign with us for less money than what you would get elsewhere and we'll guarentee you a QLD and Kangaroo jumper in return.

Thinking about it, it probably is true.

I agree on all points, unfortunately.

But the way Brisbane rort the salary cap is by putting players out of the top 25 and bringing them up for $200 a game. Wests Newcastle might sign Andrew Johns up next year to look after the pokies at $500k a year :-k.

Razor

Coach
It wasnt because of Scott Minto and Leon Bott let me tell you.

They do have other players you know. If you think Minto and Bott are their 2nd and 3rd best players then you're dillusional.

Mr Saab

Referee
Razor said:
They do have other players you know. If you think Minto and Bott are their 2nd and 3rd best players then you're dillusional.

its called sarcasm you knights nuffy....look it up :roll:
well it wasnt webcke and petero setting up the tries.
All play basically went thru Lockyer. Now he has been below avg and the broncos are playing avg

Kiwi

First Grade
Razor said:

Lockyer was sh*t in Origin, Johns was a stand-out.

Things seem to go straight over your head alot don't they?

Let me put it this way. Before Johns got injured, he played crap, admitted as much himself on the footy show the other week. Got injured, came back, played 1 game, didn't play all that well in that match either. Now going by what has been said here, Johns should not have been selected for NSW. Forget what he did in the game, he should never have been given that chance if you think Lockyer should be denied on the same grounds. Now do you get it? Of does it need to be dumbed down alot more?

If so here try this

Johns played crap ( by his standard ) before Origin selection....you happy he was selected

Lockyer has been playing poorly ( by his standard ) of late and will probably get selectedfor Australia.....you not happy think club form should mean something.

iggy plop

First Grade
Rumour is Hodges will get a gig on the Tri Nations tour. He has played well this year, but Wayne should a little weary of showing too much bronco bias.

Minto may be shot, who knows.

Latest posts