What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockyer's replacement as test skipper

aqua_duck

Coach
Mason is too much of a loose cannon considering his lack of what is required upstairs. I can imagine the ARL closing their eyes and hoping for the best everytime he has to give a press conference or speak to the media as the australian captain.

Raider_69

Post Whore
chewme said:
:alcho: waiting for the raiders fans to nominate tongue,his name seems to pop up in a lot a threads so why not this one?

tonguey will be the on field leader, no need to name him captain :cool:

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
hell (knocking on wood) lockyer might not even be the test captain next year due to injuries and such!!!! (plz no!!!!)

but if he were to end his rep captaincy at the end of 2009, looking at the current players we have, its either smith, thurston or hunt, the later being more unlikely because of all the fuss about his loyalties... otherwise i see hunt being a great leader on the field... he is one already at that tender age!!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
GoTheBears said:
Minichello will be at fullback, seeya hunt

I think Mince will seriously have to fight for his position after all the downtime he's had, and the form and leadership on the field that Hunt has already shown. And Luke Phillips was a better fullback for the Chooks.

The Preacher

First Grade
Mr Angry said:
I think Cam would be great.

Problem is they only play him half the game.

I believe that is a mistake that will not occur again, Mr.Angry !!! Just ask Sticky if he thinks it was the right rein to pull.;-)

aqua_duck

Coach
Misty Bee said:
They gave it to Tallis once. With that precedent, Sheik Hilal would be acceptable.
Tallis was an idiot on the field at times but make no mistake, the bloke was a champion off the field. He was one who did his talking on the field. What everyone didn't like was that he was prone to do something stupid on the field from time to time, eg swearing at bill harragon, the up yours gesture to NSW fans, high tackles, striking charges etc, but he wasn't a bloke who got in trouble off the field unlike the big clown willie mason

Misty Bee

First Grade
Except last month when the was throwing glassess at a barman.

Tallis was only a fillin test skipper anyway, a tenure not unlike Langer, Toovey or Harragon et-al.

Since Wally, there is a tendancy to choose captains on their ability to be there long term (Mal, Freddy, Lockyer etc) over the needs of the series at hand (Krilich, Peponis, Beetson etc). It's not only a League thing - cricket and Yawnion are into it as well.

Therefore, the skipper has to have the job at state level first. For the future, that looks like Smith (QLD) v whoever NSW puts forward.

Then, luck, injury and opportunity come into play. That's why Laurie Daley and Joey Johns never got the runs up that their careers suggested might happen.

I'm not so sure that Smith will fill the role - there is some class available in his position (notably Farah, Berrigan, and to a lesser extent Marsh). He also hasn't set the world on fire in a test jumper (yet?).

Tome the fieldis wide open, and no, K Hunt isn't really in it.

Stewie Griffin

Juniors
I don't know why people dont see Hunt as a captain prospect.
People call him a traitor, cutie and such, but he's a born leader. I'd be suprised if Hunt is not the next broncos captain and a future captain for QLD. That would mean it would be easier for him to be the australian captain.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The Preacher said:
I believe that is a mistake that will not occur again, Mr.Angry !!! Just ask Sticky if he thinks it was the right rein to pull.;-)
I hope not, I was not a fan of that in either game - second was worse, and seeing as sticky is coming my way, it concerns me.

We see this Saturday if Ricky plays him for 80, he bloody should.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Yes I see the respect is higher for NZ.

Berrigan does not get hidden in the centres in defence.

Interesting.

I always thought Misty was a her not a him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Screw it.

Nathan Hindmarsh for captain. Who typifies the Australian spirit more so than he? FFS - he doesn't even bother pulling his damn pants up, he's so laidback!

Seriously though - he's an inspirational player.

And what's all this about Hunt being a gun captain? Great player, sure...But to the point he'd inspire his teammates? Hmm...Not too sure on that one...

miccle

Bench
Hunt ain't captain material... yet.

He's a class player but will really need to develop his game a LOT. I don't think he will be Aussie captain when Lockyer hangs up the rep boots, mostly because he would have no captaincy experience.

Locky will no doubt retire altogether from footy a year or two after he retires from rep. Thats when Hunt will get the callup for the Broncos captaincy, imo, and if he ever captains a rep side it will be sometime after that.

Smith will no doubt be Qld captain after Locky, and I'd punt on him to take over the Aus role too (though I'd love to see Hindy get it too - probably my fave non-Broncos player in the competition).

ShineDog

Juniors
mattyg said:
Willie Mason...even though he isnt a club captain he is a leader on the field. He will probably be the next NSW captain...which is basically what he was in game 1 whenever bedsy was off the field

There is no doubt in my mind that Willie Mason will be the next Australian Captain.

Willie is the Vice captain of the Doggies and the on field leader, this guy has the respect of every player he plays with and the attitude / passion to go all the way.

Example : Look at Gordon Tallis....who knew he would Captain the teams he did.

Bman26

Juniors
big problem with willie is that he doesnt think before he speaks, when he heaped the sh*t on kidwell, all the melbourne players would've been rather disappointed creating rips in the teams bonding, if he's captain and still doing the same the effects will be magnified

Latest posts