What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Carney would be painful

gong_eagle

First Grade

By Steve Jancetic
March 09, 2008http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23345253-23214,00.html

CANBERRA skipper Alan Tongue says Todd Carney leaving the nation's capital would be a "kick in the teeth" for the club which nurtured him into the NRL spotlight.
Star halfback Carney is at the centre of a four-club battle for his services for 2009 and beyond with the Raiders, Manly and Penrith having all put four-year deals on the table worth in excess of $1.6 million to lure him away.
He could be followed out of Canberra by exciting fullback William Zillman, who has an option in his contract for the 2009 season.
The departure of the key duo would rob the Raiders of two of their brightest talents, something the club can ill-afford.
“The club's worked so hard to bring these juniors through,” said Tongue, who last November agreed to remain at the club until 2010.
“We have struggled to attract high-profile players so they have concentrated on their juniors. Seeing them go by the wayside would be a real kick in the teeth I suppose.”
While losing Zillman, who was in scintillating form last year before a knee injury curtailed an impressive second campaign, would be a blow, Carney's departure would be devastating.
The 21-year-old playmaker has representative football written all over him, and if not for a run-in with the law last season, may have already snared a New South Wales Origin jumper.
His retention would not only boost the Raiders' current on-field fortunes, but would also provide them with a handy fillip when it came to attracting players to the club.
“He is obviously the club's No.1 priority to get re-signed and it would definitely help the club down the track if he was there to help sign other players,” Tongue said.
“He's an important part of our team, there's no doubt about that, he's such a quality player and he leads on the field. He's a very dominant player and talker on the field and organises our team. He's a vital part to the success of our team and I know they're trying to do their best to keep him on board.
“The club's put a lot of time and effort into him, the boys enjoy playing with him and enjoy having him around the club, so fingers crossed.”
While the Raiders sent club great Mal Meninga to have talks with Carney in a bid to convince him to stay, Tongue said he would not be putting the hard word on his teammate.
“He's probably got enough on his plate at the moment and enough people saying enough things in his ear every second minute,” Tongue said.
“Toddy's smart enough. He's got to make the right decision for himself.”
Carney said he was hoping to make a call on his future before Friday night's season kick-off, with his manager David Riolo intimating that a decision was unlikely until later in the week.
AAP

gong_eagle said:

By Steve Jancetic
March 09, 2008http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23345253-23214,00.html

CANBERRA skipper Alan Tongue says Todd Carney leaving the nation's capital would be a "kick in the teeth" for the club which nurtured him into the NRL spotlight.
Star halfback Carney is at the centre of a four-club battle for his services for 2009 and beyond with the Raiders, Manly and Penrith having all put four-year deals on the table worth in excess of $1.6 million to lure him away.
He could be followed out of Canberra by exciting fullback William Zillman, who has an option in his contract for the 2009 season.
The departure of the key duo would rob the Raiders of two of their brightest talents, something the club can ill-afford.
“The club's worked so hard to bring these juniors through,” said Tongue, who last November agreed to remain at the club until 2010.
“We have struggled to attract high-profile players so they have concentrated on their juniors. Seeing them go by the wayside would be a real kick in the teeth I suppose.”
While losing Zillman, who was in scintillating form last year before a knee injury curtailed an impressive second campaign, would be a blow, Carney's departure would be devastating.
The 21-year-old playmaker has representative football written all over him, and if not for a run-in with the law last season, may have already snared a New South Wales Origin jumper.
His retention would not only boost the Raiders' current on-field fortunes, but would also provide them with a handy fillip when it came to attracting players to the club.
“He is obviously the club's No.1 priority to get re-signed and it would definitely help the club down the track if he was there to help sign other players,” Tongue said.
“He's an important part of our team, there's no doubt about that, he's such a quality player and he leads on the field. He's a very dominant player and talker on the field and organises our team. He's a vital part to the success of our team and I know they're trying to do their best to keep him on board.
“The club's put a lot of time and effort into him, the boys enjoy playing with him and enjoy having him around the club, so fingers crossed.”
While the Raiders sent club great Mal Meninga to have talks with Carney in a bid to convince him to stay, Tongue said he would not be putting the hard word on his teammate.
“He's probably got enough on his plate at the moment and enough people saying enough things in his ear every second minute,” Tongue said.
“Toddy's smart enough. He's got to make the right decision for himself.”
Carney said he was hoping to make a call on his future before Friday night's season kick-off, with his manager David Riolo intimating that a decision was unlikely until later in the week.
AAP

:lol:

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
Ive been a Raiders fan my whole life and I never have missed a match. But if the Raiders can't even get Todd Carney to re-sign, im really going to ponder whether this is a club i want to be a part of.

The Raiders CAN NOT sign any high quality players from other clubs, so we must rely on our junior talent and buying other clubs juniors. But if the Raiders can not manage to re-sign a local junior to our club, what chance will we ever have. We will never be able to establish a high quality team with high quality players and the club as a whole will never go anywhere. We need to take a risk, we NEED a champion for the long term and we can build our side/club around him.

I have put alot of hope that the Raiders can one day be a big club again, but if we can't even keep Todd Carney i won't have any faith left that this will ever happen and may have to find a club with a bit more ticker.

If any Raiders management is listening, make sure you Re-Sign TODDY!! or face being wooden spoon favorites for decades to come and snuffing out any hope that our WONDERFUL club can ever be important again.

Bay56

First Grade
dazza that sounds like a post from a long time passionate supporter (much like myself).

You want the best for your club and fear that the people who are running it might not be capable of delivering the goods.

Hang in there buddy .. I suspect that if both Carney and Zillman leave there willb e a few questions asked of the performance of management .... and about time.

Raider_69

Post Whore
d-a-z-z-a said:
Ive been a Raiders fan my whole life and I never have missed a match. But if the Raiders can't even get Todd Carney to re-sign, im really going to ponder whether this is a club i want to be a part of.

The Raiders CAN NOT sign any high quality players from other clubs, so we must rely on our junior talent and buying other clubs juniors. But if the Raiders can not manage to re-sign a local junior to our club, what chance will we ever have. We will never be able to establish a high quality team with high quality players and the club as a whole will never go anywhere. We need to take a risk, we NEED a champion for the long term and we can build our side/club around him.

I have put alot of hope that the Raiders can one day be a big club again, but if we can't even keep Todd Carney i won't have any faith left that this will ever happen and may have to find a club with a bit more ticker.

If any Raiders management is listening, make sure you Re-Sign TODDY!! or face being wooden spoon favorites for decades to come and snuffing out any hope that our WONDERFUL club can ever be important again.

No offence, but me thinks the club isnt the one who needs more ticker :)

mxlegend99

Referee
For the Raiders fans sake, i hope he shows some loyalty. As much as i'd love to see him in our jersey, i'd rather see the guy payback the team that stuck by him and developed him.

Although if he really must leave... nothing would be worse then seeing him go to Manly.

Raider Azz

Bench
how anyone could blame the club if we lose todd carney when penrith is throwing $2M at him is beyond me.

mxlegend99

Referee
Raider Azz said:
how anyone could blame the club if we lose todd carney when penrith is throwing $2M at him is beyond me.
Panthers denied offering that amount or even increasing their initial offer (Which was already more then he would be worth to us).

While Matt Elliott might be happy to throw that sort of money at him, Mick Leary wouldn't.

sydraider

First Grade
Is there any gurantee Elliot will have a job if penrith have a woeful start to the season? Say 8 rounds in and cellar dwelling?

Mal's Milk

Juniors
I heard Neil Henry on 2GB tonite saying he expected TC to make a decision tomorrow (tuesday) and he was 'quietly confident' that he would re-sign.

It also looks like he'll pick him at half and Campo at 6. Mentioned that Dobbo didn't go well in the trials, and that Herbert and Picker were lurking in the background with heaps of potential...

dubby

Bench
Sheesh.

Another post in there digging the club for its inability to retain players. Have a look at the figures bandied around for the player in question mate and wonder why it might be hard.

A decision hasnt been made yet, and when it does I expect it to be in our favour.

sydraider

First Grade
Stanhope in final plea to Carney
Daniel MacDonald

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/articles/1199860.html?src=topstories

The Stanhope Government has made an 11th-hour offer to in demand halfback Todd Carney ahead of a decision on his playing future expected today - stay with the Canberra Raiders and be a sporting ambassador for Canberra's youth.

Minister for Tourism, Sport and Recreation Andrew Barr has urged the 21-year-old Goulburn product to remain loyal to the club which developed him into the multi-million dollar player he is about to become.

Carney will today meet with his manager David Riolo putting an end to months of speculation over where he will continue his rugby league career.

"We were speaking to the Raiders about the possibility of Todd becoming an ambassador for the Childrens Physical Activity Foundation," a department spokeswoman told The Canberra Times yesterday.

"We are looking for ambassadors to the initiative and we spoke to [the Raiders] about getting someone on board a couple of weeks ago.

"But on the weekend we went back to them and suggested, 'wouldn't it good to get Todd Carney on board' trying to get him to stay here.

"He's a had a rough time lately it would be great if he stayed and to be involved with kids in particular.

"It would be great to see him active in the community."

It is not the first time the Labor government has thrown its support behind Carney.

Chief Minister Jon Stanhope has been an ally to the footballer during some of his run-ins with the law.

The most recent being when Stanhope supported Carney during a court case in which he faced charges of drink driving and leading police on a pursuit through the streets of Canberra last May.

"The mere fact the Chief Minister and Sports Minister were behind him staying was a good thing," Raiders chief executive Don Furner said. "The Government is keen to see him stay."

Furner will alert Carney to the offer today when he meets with Riolo and his client - but it may be too little, too late.

But he is hopeful that whatever happens today Carney will make a decision on his future.

"I know it's what Toddy has said," Furner said about whether he expected a decision today.

"We hope so but we'll wait and see."

Carney is off-contract at the end of this year and has already fielded offers from Penrith and Manly, worth more than $1.6m over four years.

William Zillman, Adrian Purtell and Colin Best are likely to be given the nod for the outside back spots while Joel Monaghan and Phil Graham are tipped to be the centre pairing for NRL opener against the Knights.

SATURDAY

NRL round one: Newcastle Knights v Canberra Raiders at EnergyAustralia Stadium, 7.30pm. TV Time: Live on Fox Sports2 Viewer's Choice.

Latest posts