What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Losing Carney would be painful

sydraider

First Grade
Now what would you choose as a 21 year old?

An ambassadors title? or an extra $200k to play with?

mxlegend99

Referee
Personally, i would happily accept less per year to stay with a club that has been loyal to me, that my friends play for, and where i don't have to make a massive move and start from scratch. At $350k or whatever the Raiders offered, he is still on huge money and looking at a 1m+ contract for 4 years.

The Raiders should have the advantage in signing him... there's something wrong if he won't take a generous offer like the one they made.

sydraider

First Grade
mxlegend99 said:
Personally, i would happily accept less per year to stay with a club that has been loyal to me, that my friends play for, and where i don't have to make a massive move and start from scratch. At $350k or whatever the Raiders offered, he is still on huge money and looking at a 1m+ contract for 4 years.

The Raiders should have the advantage in signing him... there's something wrong if he won't take a generous offer like the one they made.

I agree with you, hopefully he stays put, might convince zilly to hang around also. I never was confident of keeping costigan after his deal with us was up.

Macko8

Juniors
Apparently we'll know today what todd is doing in 2009,lets hope for some good news.

IMO costigan will be off to Qld end of year.

Bay56

First Grade
Costigan will be back up north for sure ... an article in the CT last year convinced me of that.

He's very close to his brother and dad ... the lifestyle up there is not what Canberra can offer and I'd say that Nev will move closer to them rather than drag them down here.

And good luck to him ... he leaves with good intentions imo and I will not hold any grudges against the guy for moving.

What I would ask of him is to give his best in his last season with the Raiders .... he is one player that gave us punch out wide that not many others could.

Macko8

Juniors
I'd still love to see a costigan/TLL second row combination for at least half of the 2008 season. I still think there our most dominate second rowers at the club.

Although TLL is apparently being gelled as a prop forward in the next couple of seasons

skeepe

Immortal
There's a thread at the RLeague forums stating that Carney has signed a 4 year deal with Manly, as reported on 2KY.

Don't know how accurate it is as there's been nothing on any web sites or Canberra radio.

Bay56

First Grade
I'm hoping that is incorrect skip ... f**king rips the heart out of my chest to say the least.

Raider Azz

Bench
wouldnt even bother mentioning that thread. is obviously as gee-up, as it would have been on all major news outlets by now if true.

matt

Juniors
hey hey hey motha farkers.....the gangs all here..

i have a nice point on my axe going...:lol:

Bay56

First Grade
Macko8 said:
what about fox sports news?

I dont get that at work ... just listening to the Radio on my desk and trying to keep my mind on a report I have to have finished by 5:00 :lol:

sydraider

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23355577-5001023,00.html

Online exclusive by Steve Mascord

March 11, 2008 12:00am

ON August 11, 1907, Dally Messenger's mum decided it would be OK if he switched to rugby league.

This week, two of the brightest stars in the code Annie Messenger helped launch with that decision will also seek maternal advice before the biggest decisions of their young lives.

Canberra's Todd Carney and Melbourne's Israel Folau have been asked by their clubs to make decisions on their futures before the weekend.

And just as Dally M consulted him mum, Leanne Carney and Amelia Folau will play key roles in deciding their sons' futures.

"I'm going to speak to Todd tomorrow and he's going to sit down and talk to his mother," Carney's agent, David Riolo, said last night.

"He always consults Leanne about his career and I'm sure he'll have a good listen to what she has to say this week."

The Raiders want an answer from Carney before Saturday night's clash with Newcastle. He has huge offers from Penrith and Manly, with the Bulldogs also interested.

The visit of league promoters J.J. Giltinan, Harry Hoyle and Victor Trumper to the Messenger boatshed at Double Bay on the second Sunday of August 1907 is the stuff of league legend.

The trio wanted Messenger for the new code and he is reputed to have said: "Go over and see my mother. I'm busy. Get her answer and it'll be all right."

Annie Messenger was impressed with the 50 pounds on offer to play against the All Golds and the money was actually given to her, allowing Dally to still claim to be an amateur.

With rugby union's biggest star on board, league's first season was guaranteed to attract public attention.

Folau could do something similar for the Bulldogs, Brisbane or Gold Coast if he decides to shift north.

His manager, Isaac Moses, told the Daily Telegraph his client may not be able to make a decision before kick-off in the Monday Night Football clash with the Warriors.

"It's a possibility, I'm not sure if it's going to happen," said Moses.

"We're talking about round one, making a decision for the year after. I know it will have implications for Melbourne and other players and other clubs but he's got to make the decision when he feels comfortable.

"If that's not this week but next week - well I'll be talking to Brian (Waldron, Storm CEO) about that."

Folau's parents are in Brisbane but Moses said "He didn't go away over the weekend, he stayed in Melbourne."

Bay56

First Grade
Thanks for that sydraider ... well that's it for me ... I'm concentrating on my work.

Btw there was nothing on ABC 3:00 lcoa news