What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lote Tuqiri signs with Wests Tigers

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26273092-5003409,00.html

Lote Tuqiri signs with Wests Tigers

EXCLUSIVE by Dean Ritchie | October 28, 2009 11:00pm

IT IS news rugby league fans have long wanted to hear - dual international Lote Tuqiri will return to the NRL with Wests Tigers in 2010.

With third-party agreements, the former Brisbane Broncos winger will earn up to $400,000 a season after signing with the Tigers for the next three seasons.

The only issue is when the club can officially announce his signing. Tuqiri will shortly sign a short-term deal with either London Irish or Leicester in the English rugby union competition.

It is understood he will return to Australia in March for the start of the NRL season.

NRL chief executive David Gallop has ruled no player can have guest stints with a rival code, particularly rugby union, and then return to league.

It means Tuqiri can privately agree to terms with Wests Tigers now but he cannot formally sign until he returns.

However, the rule robs the Tigers of the chance to promote Tuqiri as an exciting addition to their line-up until the season is about to kick off.

Club insiders say the NRL rule is ridiculous because it prevents Tuqiri from being used to promote ticket sales, membership, merchandising and marketing.

Tuqiri will become the fourth player to return to rugby league after lucrative stints in rugby union, following fellow Wallaby recruits Mat Rogers, Wendell Sailor and Timana Tahu.

Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys was revealing little last night, fearing any premature announcement regarding Tuqiri could jeopardise the deal.

The English rugby union season does not finish until May, but the Tigers want Tuqiri back at the club's Concord base by March.

Tuqiri was sacked by the ARU for disciplinary reasons mid-season and will still need to explain the reasons for his dismissal to Gallop.

But there are no indications the NRL boss will prevent Tuqiri from returning to rugby league.

Gallop and Humphreys spoke several times last week about Tuqiri, who wants to settle in Sydney permanently and lives in the Balmain area.

"Lote is getting close to making a decision about his playing future and hopefully that will include us,'' Humphreys said yesterday.

Tuqiri will start 2010 on the wing with Wests Tigers, forming a formidable combination with big Taniela Tuiaki.

If he settles back into rugby league quickly, Tigers coach Tim Sheens has plans to use the former Kangaroos star at fullback and Tuqiri has a strong desire to play in the No.1 jumper.

Bench
If that is right,it is good,but geez,$400k,he will want to work his bum off to earn that.:eek:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Hmm. Not so sure on Lote at fullback. The role of the fullback has changed dramatically since he has gone, he will find it difficult. Id put him in the centers but thats me. Good luck to him and the Tigers.

aqua_duck

Coach
400k a year gees thats Greg Inglis money for a bloke who hasn't done alot in the past few years

Ausguy

Coach
someone clear something up for me..... how is outside deals NOT a salary cap rort???

400k? geez thats rough hope no young junior with potential gets cut to allow this guy back into the NRL.

I know my tigers fans mates arent happy about it.

Gallop still has to clear this first doesnt he.

LOL for $400k they could have put in a serious bid for Johnathon Thurston! Instead they buy this mercenary.......

Pffffffffffffft. Pathetic.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Another one bites the dust. Lote, Wendell, Blacklock, Rogers, Tahu... I'm sure there's plenty more I've missed!

OVP

Coach
Shines is going on a spending spree in order to get a contract extension. They should do quite well next year, so he'll end up getting another 3 years. I bet Tigers fans are happy about that :D

Mr Saab

Referee
If the Tigers miss the 8 AGAIN in 2010 then Sheens legacy as a coach surely has to be questioned.
4 comps yes, but the the backend of his career (apart from 12 magic weeks) has been all bu average since 1996.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
It's $400K with third party agreements, so it's not purely a $400K salary. He's starting the year with us, not coming mid-season, and we still have money left to sign Lima.

I'm very happy.

BuffaloRules

Coach
the $400k is his contract including 3rd party agreements, which total around $150k

As I understand it, $150K is the total that any one club can have in 3rd party payments - assume Benji's deal would include this as well....

I would suggest that the Tigers are probably paying him $300 to $340K... on the steep side IMO...

Vic Mackey

Referee
As I understand it, $150K is the total that any one club can have in 3rd party payments - assume Benji's deal would include this as well....

I would suggest that the Tigers are probably paying him $300 to $340K... on the steep side IMO...

your understanding is incorrect