What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lote Tuqiri signs with Wests Tigers

DINGb@T

Juniors
Does anyone have the sum total of all the money paid to League players who went to Union? It would be interesting to see how much money we managed to gouge out of them with that little trojan horse.

Also- 400k is rediculous. 250k with extras however would be worth it. Obviously he's still marketable enough for outside companies to be interested and the Karmichael-esque 'we bought him for the publicity' would easily make that sort of money worth it to the club as well as the NRL in general.

Paullyboy

Coach
Is he making himself available for QLD or AUS? If so, does anyone think he might get a look in?

If he plays like he is capable of playing he very well may take Daria's wing spot, but that is the only possible spot he could get in either the Australian or QLD teams.

nyx

Juniors
If this is true then $400,000 for Lote is just crazy. :crazy:
We could've gone after a current rep half or prop for that much coin.

I really hope it's the usual media exaggeration.

I tend to think it might be because the Tigers aren't known for offering top dollar to players. They usually shop in the bargain bins

bartman

Immortal
I hope returning cross-code mercenaries like Lote, Dell, Rogers are all informally black balled from rep footy...

Gippsy

Bench
A marketing coup maybe, but, paying $400k for someone who has to learn how to tackle all over again?

_snafu_

Immortal
There is a 'marquee' factor there. A third party paying money in addition to his salary from the Tigers is obviously betting that Lote's return will generate some interest.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I am one of this clubs biggest critics. I can't stand our coach, who IMO should have been sacked at the end of 2007. I can't stand the fact that we play hardly no games at our traditional grounds. I can't stand out recruitment, which Ellis and Galloway aside has signed nothing but absolute spastics for four years running.

However, we have just signed a dual international with a massive profile and people are STILL WHINGING!?. Sure the money may be a little much, but its third-party agreements included. IMO he will pay for his wages off the field alone. He is big, tall, strong, powerful. Great signing and a major coup considering his profile. I'm excited.

We've also signed Jason Cayless and are reportedly a done deal with Jeff Lima too. For four years our fans have whinged about our lack of size and/or decent props, we've now got some.

We are playing 4 games at Campbelltown and Leichhardt next year instead of 3. It's not 6 and 6, but its a good start. IMO the club LOOKS as though its heading in the right direction.

I think anybody complaining about us signing Lote Tuqiri is an idiot, and this is coming from one of the biggest Tigers critics around. Some people will never be happy.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I have said it in the past. Why is the NRL allowing a player that has slandered our competition and ridiculed our sport to come back? I can accept Tahu and Sailor. They didn't come out with these comments in the same way.

Gower is the other one that should never be allowed to return.

This just makes us look like the little brother and gives his comments about Union is a better game and he thinks League will die because it is inferior some credit.

boxa777

Coach
Good for the game..

But I lost a lot of respect for Lote a few years back when he negotiated for what seemed an eternity and despite the fact that he mentioned that he wasn't happy with the way his opportunities in Union were playing out, he resigned another long term deal with ARU. Money talks for him more than most.

Fitness wise I reckon he will struggle, especially early and given he is squeezin in another union contract (how much cash does he need?), he will miss a crucial pre-season with the Tigers. I live in the area and saw him jogging a couple of weeks back thru the streets here at Birchgrove. He was puffing and struggling up a tiny hill. I guess that's what standing on a wing in Union looking pretty does to you.

He is a great athlete and I hope he makes a go of it. Good chance to play Beau Ryan at fullback.

But I agree with MrSaab about Sheens. If Sheens doesn't get his Tigers into the finals this season given the recruitment as a whole, surely the Tigers management cannot get conned again.

Last edited:

The Colonel

Immortal
But I agree with MrSaab about Sheens. If Sheens doesn't get his Tigers into the finals this season given the recruitment as a whole, surely the Tigers management cannot get conned again.

Sheens already has them conned. Can you imagine the uproar from Tiger fans should Marshall walk if Sheens gets the flick? He has almost guaranteed himself a renewal..... hell, the bloke had the CEO out the door the second he mentioned KPI's.

magpie_man

Juniors
I am one of this clubs biggest critics. I can't stand our coach, who IMO should have been sacked at the end of 2007. I can't stand the fact that we play hardly no games at our traditional grounds. I can't stand out recruitment, which Ellis and Galloway aside has signed nothing but absolute spastics for four years running.

However, we have just signed a dual international with a massive profile and people are STILL WHINGING!?. Sure the money may be a little much, but its third-party agreements included. IMO he will pay for his wages off the field alone. He is big, tall, strong, powerful. Great signing and a major coup considering his profile. I'm excited.

We've also signed Jason Cayless and are reportedly a done deal with Jeff Lima too. For four years our fans have whinged about our lack of size and/or decent props, we've now got some.

We are playing 4 games at Campbelltown and Leichhardt next year instead of 3. It's not 6 and 6, but its a good start. IMO the club LOOKS as though its heading in the right direction.

I think anybody complaining about us signing Lote Tuqiri is an idiot, and this is coming from one of the biggest Tigers critics around. Some people will never be happy.

this.

legend

Coach
Heighingont to Canberra now a certainty? ;-)

Lote will be the slowest, most cumbersome fullback in the NRL next year. Cayless is a great signing but Tuqiri at fullback will be a disaster IMO. Too big, too old and too slow, especially in defence.

Sounds like they're paying overs.

The only thing I've seen him do since leaving the Broncos was in the Rexona Challenge, and he was sh*t.

The Tigers should try and get Steve Hooker.

That Ranga was determined.